Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Foot Cramping

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Foot Cramping

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-19, 09:04 AM
dcteague

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Foot Cramping

I just began using clipless pedals - Shimano 105s with Fizik R4 shoes. I'm noticing a slight cramping in my left foot and can't seem to figure out what's causing it, since I'm not having the same issue in my right foot. Its a very subtle cramping feeling between the ball of my foot and heel. Starts about 8-10 miles into my ride, and doesn't really get any worse, but is present the remainder of my ride. I've adjusted the cleat from having the heel slightly outward and moved the heel inward towards the bike, and neither setting seemed to work.

Anyone else experience this - any easy solution? Wondering if maybe my foot normally sits at an angle on the pedal and now that they're clamped in, its stressing a muscle a little, or if maybe I need some float to provide a little flexibility. Any advice welcome.
Old 06-18-19, 11:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Same. I've had arch cramps my whole life. Weird feet -- long, narrow (size 11, A width), high arches, bony. Like ice skates with toes.

I need arch support, but it needs to be perfect. Too much or little will make things worse.

Best insole I've found costs only $8-$10: Profoot Miracle insoles. It's a thin, ultra-lightweight memory foam, not gel. Much better than the very good insoles included with my Scott and Fizik road shoes.

I've tried everything from custom orthotics to Dr. Scholl's. The Profoot Miracle is the best I've tried for cycling. I still use Dr. Scholl's for walking shoes.

The right socks are essential too. Too much added thickness will cause problems for me. I prefer thin socks, usually ankle socks. If I wear thicker socks in winter I need to switch insoles or fasten the closures much looser. Otherwise I'll get arch cramps and it'll cut off circulation to my toes.

Sure, cleat position matters. And I stretch a lot, head to toe. But the biggest difference in riding has been the right insole.
Old 06-19-19, 12:46 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I found that moving cleats back has solved most comfort issues
On Shimano shoes, all the way to the back stops, no ill affects aside from more overlap

The right shoe for fit, and use, Insoles for fine tuning