Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Big Soos Creek meet and greet ride?

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-07, 08:50 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

How about it, all you fellow East Hillers and others in the general vicinity?

I know there's a fair number of us, so if we could get up a meet and greet, either just a short casual ride along BSC and back, or the longer ride I do:

https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...kent/521166819

Sundays are usually good for me, as long as it's reasonably early. Perhaps next Sunday, the 28th, around 8.00 am, starting at the northern end parking lot? I usually ride, rain or no.

P.S. Naturally, everyone is invited to join , it's not necessary to be on the Hill to come and say hello!

East Hill
Old 10-20-07, 09:24 AM
zen_ride
zen_ride

Bikes: 98 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very much IN...8:00am is not feasible though, I'm afraid, due to domestic considerations. A later time, 9:00am, would work so much better.
Old 10-20-07, 09:33 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hmm, that's not a problem. Anyone else in for 9.00 am next Sunday?

East Hill
Old 10-21-07, 12:34 PM
slotibartfast
Duct tape won't fix that

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Veloce, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic idea, East Hill. Unfortunately, I'm working next weekend and won't be able to ride with you guys. Sorry.
Old 10-21-07, 06:55 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by slotibartfast
Fantastic idea, East Hill. Unfortunately, I'm working next weekend and won't be able to ride with you guys. Sorry.
Bummer...of course, we've already met, but it would sure be nice to put names to faces for everyone else!

East Hill
Old 10-22-07, 02:55 PM
smurf hunter

Bikes: 2006 LeMond Croix de Fer, 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll see if I can get away for a couple hours on Sunday. What's the expected pace/distance? I've got 2 little kids I could pull along in carrier if we keep it at 18mph or slower
Old 10-22-07, 04:41 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by smurf hunter
I'll see if I can get away for a couple hours on Sunday. What's the expected pace/distance? I've got 2 little kids I could pull along in carrier if we keep it at 18mph or slower
If we do just the short version meet and greet it would be just to the other end of BSC, so RT of less than 12 miles, and the speed limit on the trail's 15 mph. So, you could do that quite easily in a couple of hours, and I think it would be great if you brought the kids .

East Hill
Old 10-22-07, 09:25 PM
SeattleCharlie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This may sound silly, but I have no idea where Soos Creek is. Here is why it is silly. When I checked your ride map I was surprised to see that 90% of it is my regular sneak 25 miles in after work ride. I live right by May Valley Road and often ride the loop from Sunset to the Cedar River Trail to Cedar Groove to Issaquah Hobart to May Valley and back, but I have no idea where Soos Creek is. I would love to ride with some locals in the area, and I especially love to get my rides in early so I don't create a biking widow. The earlier I leave the more husband/daddy time I can get in with the fam later in the day. I will be out of town this coming weekend, but would love to ride the 3rd or 4th.
Old 10-23-07, 05:51 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Gary Grant Park (or Big Soos Creek to us) is a very long, thin park. There's a south end parking lot at the 'T' of SE 266th & 148th Avenue SE (think just behind Lake Meridian). The trail used to end at the north parking lot, located at SE 208th (virtual intersection of 136th Avenue SE), but has now been extended so that it ends about 150 feet west of Meeker Junior High School on SE 192nd.

Future plans are apparently to extend through Boulevard Lane Park, through Renton Park. There will be an eventual link up with Cedar River Trail .

Your loop is a little north of my normal riding range, but not by far. If I have worked overtime, I will often leave SEA AMC by heading down Southcenter Boulevard, go through Renton to enter the CRT, go into MV and turn right at the McDonald's, and come back along 240th to home.

The 3rd or the 4th? A possibility...just remember that I am slow . What time would be best for you?

East Hill
Old 10-23-07, 04:41 PM
nancybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to this forum, and live quite a ways North of you all --- Mukilteo. But you are making this little bike rendezvous sound mighty interesting. Especially if it is a social, not too fast ride. I cannot promise to be there on Sunday, but one never knows. Also, if you plan more meet and rides, it may fit into my time availability to drive all that way.

All what way, by the way! From up north here, how does one who is unfamiliar with your area find Soos Creek in general, and your meeting place specifically?

This is a great idea, and puts a bit of freshness into riding! Thanks for doing it and perhaps it will grow and expand.

Nancy
Old 10-23-07, 06:50 PM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nancybikes
I am new to this forum, and live quite a ways North of you all --- Mukilteo. But you are making this little bike rendezvous sound mighty interesting. Especially if it is a social, not too fast ride. I cannot promise to be there on Sunday, but one never knows. Also, if you plan more meet and rides, it may fit into my time availability to drive all that way.

All what way, by the way! From up north here, how does one who is unfamiliar with your area find Soos Creek in general, and your meeting place specifically?

This is a great idea, and puts a bit of freshness into riding! Thanks for doing it and perhaps it will grow and expand.

Nancy
Nancy, I am in Mukilteo quite often, and live just east of you in Mill Creek. Ms. MillCreek and I do a fair amount of riding in this area (I more than her) and we are always interested to find other local riders.
Old 10-23-07, 09:33 PM
zen_ride
zen_ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't it great people are just eager to meet up with other riders? MillCreek, I would be glad to go over to your area and join in one of your rides...if you'd care to have non-local riders.
Old 10-23-07, 10:35 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
For anyone who wants to join us:

Starting point will be the south parking lot of Big Soos Creek Park, at 9.00 am this Sunday.

To get to the parking lot, Google 'Lake Meridian, Kent' (there's no easy way to describe how to get there). You're looking to get to Kent-Kangley Road/State Route 516, heading towards Maple Valley.

https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...kent/472252430

It's easier to view this in hybrid mode, as you can find the parking lot that way.

If it's still confusing, PM me.

I'll be there--look for the short (slow looking) redhead .

East Hill
Old 10-23-07, 10:59 PM
zen_ride
zen_ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok...mental note to self: keep a lookout for a short (slow looking) redhead. 'Til Sunday!
Old 10-24-07, 07:09 AM
nancybikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. IF I get there I will be the not short, slow looking white head.

MillCreek -- I am a slowish rider and may not fit your level of cycling. Perhaps you could arrange a similar meet 'n greet up in this area -- a 15-20 mile social ride just for the heck of it and to give others possibility of meeting.

Thanks again all,
Nancy
Old 10-24-07, 01:50 PM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nancy and others, one of my favorite local 'social' rides, suitable for all levels of cyclists, is the Centennial Trail running from Snohomish up to Arlington. 17.5 miles one way, and it is mostly flat with some gentle grades in some places. https://www1.co.snohomish.wa.us/Depar...nial_Trail.htm

If there was any interest, we could arrange a ride before the weather gets too much worse. Nancy's riding level sounds close to that of Ms. MillCreek.
Old 10-26-07, 06:55 AM
1bluetrek

Bikes: 2015 Giant Advanced Pro 2,Trek 1500, a GT Avalanche and a Mongoose IBOC Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's another idea east, how bout a mass exodus to the east side, folks here in warden wouldn't know what to think when they see more than one guy is spandex and lycra
Old 10-26-07, 11:48 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1bluetrek
Here's another idea east, how bout a mass exodus to the east side, folks here in warden wouldn't know what to think when they see more than one guy is spandex and lycra

I've been through Warden doing some birdwatching...burrowing owls, perhaps? Maybe long-billed curlews? I gotta tell ya, I agree with your assessment of the possible Wardenite reaction.

East Hill
Old 11-15-07, 11:24 PM
Jeep_Bike_Teach
Always carry a camera...

Bikes: Lemond Sarthe (Orange Dreamcycle) A "Fred-ette"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been watching for an update or something. I was just wondering how the meet and greet went. I entertained the notion of going, but my hubby had surgery a few days before the ride, so... I chose him.

Perhaps another time.
Good grief it is raining hard tonight. Yikes!
Old 11-16-07, 03:09 PM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My only meet and greet was Smurf Hunter, but he brought his two kids along for the ride . I know I had a good time, and he got to see the new part of the trail.

I don't blame you for choosing the spouse, I would have done the same for mine!

We will try again in the spring, though.

Where are you located JBT?

East Hill