Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Is this a common thought among non bike riders?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-13-10, 02:52 PM
diff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

So some guy yells out his window to me today on the way to work. I was making a left at a residential intersection. There was a stop sign where I was coming from and none from his direction. No cars except him. I was rolling slow and was going to let him go, but he slowed thinking he was letting me go. So turned left. He flys around / pass me yelling stuff out his window. Had no idea what he was saying, so catch up and say excuse me to him. He gets out all crazy.

I explain to him that I was only rolling slow and was planning to let him go, and went because he slowed and thought he was letting me go. He said he slowed so he didn't hit me. I guess I see his point, but it was a residential intersection. Not like I was creeping across a 4 lane highway.

But the point to this thread is what he said on the way out. Something about stop getting dui's so I don't have to ride my bike. Is this what most people think when they see us riding around? My license is not suspended, never had a dui in my life, in fact I don't even drink. I wish I had my license on me to show him, but don't carry it.

The reason I don't drive is because I'm sick of the system. That is actually why I decided at 1st not to drive anymore. Now after almost 4 months of being car free I love riding. Almost every day these past 2 weeks I have been getting home from work at 2am (on bike), and then drop my stuff off, eat, and then go back out and ride just for fun. It is great exercise also. My legs have gotten significantly stronger, have't felt any back pain in months, and I know my heart and lungs are getting stronger. When I started to ride would struggle with 6 miles, now 6 miles is nothing. Also multiple people have told me my skin has more color to it now.

Maybe I should tape my drivers license to my bike or something. So when people pass me they can be like "oh he has a license, he is riding because he wants to"

But yeah, has anyone else been blamed of being a licenseless drunk?
Old 10-13-10, 02:59 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by diff
has anyone else been blamed of being a licenseless drunk?
It's not an uncommon perception. I simply chalk it up to their sedentary lifestyle causing too much fat on the brain
Old 10-13-10, 03:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It happens. I don't try not to let it bother me. Although I'm a drunk I've never had a DUI.
Old 10-13-10, 03:05 PM
xiyangshen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think also that the only reason THEY would be out riding a bike was if their license was taken away.
Maybe they even lost their own license in the past!
Next time ask them about that.
Old 10-13-10, 03:14 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I ride a bike therefore: <I am Poor and can't afford a car.> <I have a DUI and my license is suspended.> <I am an Eco Hippie and believe everyone must reduce their carbon footprint.>

However what I really want is: <A humongous luxury SUV.> <To lecture people on the poor choices they make.> <Show off to cyclist and other motorist my own self righteousness.> <Prove the world revolves around me.>

In all seriousness people have their own opinion. Best to just let it go.
Old 10-13-10, 03:28 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
That, or we don't have enough money to buy a car, so we're stuck on the bike. It's understandable; I just put panniers on mine, and when I look at it, I think it looks like a homeless person's bike.

On the other hand, all of those things that you benefit from, from cycling to work, are things the drivers don't. Almost no one in a car enjoys their commute. I think that's where some of this hostility comes from. I mean, when it gets down to it, I think most of the reason drivers don't like cyclists, is that we both want the same space on the road, and are in each others' way, but I think some of the reason a small handful of drivers actually yell at cyclists, is that while you're enjoying your ride, losing weight, getting exercise, etc, they're stuck in their car.
Old 10-13-10, 03:32 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
No, I don't see any evidence that thought is common among the motoring public.
Next question.
Old 10-13-10, 03:34 PM
jr59

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Look at it this way;

Most non-cyclist would think it is CRAZY to sped 1000 dollars on a bike.
Most of us, think 1000is a low starting point.

Heck I just spent 2500 on a Campy bike build, not including the frame.

I say let them think what they want.
Old 10-13-10, 03:39 PM
mustachiod

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikers are not predictable. so drivers do not always know how to react.

I wait for them to wave me past, or i put my foot down. too many frustrating experiences at stop signs while trackstanding, drivers think you will bolt in front. so i put my foot down and they go
Old 10-13-10, 03:40 PM
jharte
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dude that's funny (not funny like laughing...funny like interesting).

I've been commuting at my work since I started there in '95. Everyone knows it. Sure they think I'm a nut but who cares, right?

One of the guy I worked for walked up to me one day in front of several people and said "Sh** Jerry if you need a ride, I'll be glad to swing by your house and pick you up!" Everyone laughed. Before I could stop myself I looked at him and said "Sh** Dave if I wanted to drive I'd hop in my J30, crank my Bose sound system, and drive to work in style".

No one laughed at my comment. I felt like an ant turd.

Now when I hear comments about my commuting to work, I just laugh with them. It's easier than embarrassing myself.

To answer your question...yes. That's exactly what they think.

Jerry H
Old 10-13-10, 03:41 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
He was probably upset because you made him spill his beer...

Seriously though, a full stop would have prevented all of this.
Old 10-13-10, 04:00 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
On my bike I always stop when there are other cars near the intersection. Sometimes if I track stand*, people think I plan on darting out in front of them. I will usually wave on people when they are first but want to wave me through for some reason. Neither party really trusts the other... which is a good way to drive or bike, I think.

When I drive, I assume any other car or bike is going to, at the very least, do a rolling stop and at worst just blow through the intersection. I have to get out of my block at a busy all-way stop and I've seen every sort of behaviour.

*it's really more of a bad wobble that somehow doesn't end with me on the ground.

Last edited by clasher; 10-13-10 at 04:00 PM. Reason: had to add commas
Old 10-13-10, 04:01 PM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Seattle Forrest;11617963]That, or we don't have enough money to buy a car, so we're stuck on the bike. It's understandable; I just put panniers on mine, and when I look at it, I think it looks like a homeless person's bike.

I have to laugh because my commuter has that homeless vibe going. Of course I don't really care because its a commuter.
Old 10-13-10, 04:27 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some folks think that I live on my bike, interestingly enough I could if I wanted to. I quit caring what other folks think about me many, many moons ago.
Old 10-13-10, 04:42 PM
gunner65

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xtrajack
Some folks think that I live on my bike, interestingly enough I could if I wanted to. I quit caring what other folks think about me many, many moons ago.

Thats what it takes....Stop worrying about what some duschebag thinks about you!!!! As long as no one is hurt I just let it go. I have gotten to the point now that if they dont make contact I really dont care what stupid action they make.
Old 10-13-10, 04:43 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
The law requiring one to come to a full stop and put down one foot makes sense. Track standing at an intersection confuses everyone, even other cyclists.
Following the law requiring a cyclist to give a turn signal would help too. Especially at a complicated intersection with heavy traffic. Ever get annoyed at a car that does not have the turn signal on when it is needed? That's just like a cyclist who does not use turn, stop, signals, confusing.
Yes many drivers think cyclists are DUI recipients. It does not mean anything.
Old 10-13-10, 04:45 PM
Scheherezade 
12mph+ commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If someone has the right of way at an intersection, I ALWAYS make sure they go first. If they try and wave me through, I put my feet down and wave back at them to go through. The reason drivers wave bikes through is because they are so used to cyclists blowing through intersections recklessly.
Old 10-13-10, 04:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Does your jurisdiction require a foot down? The law in California does not require a cyclist to put a foot down. It requires a cessation of forward motion.
Old 10-13-10, 04:51 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Does your jurisdiction require a foot down? The law in California does not require a cyclist to put a foot down. It requires a cessation of forward motion.
It varies all over the place, even from town to town. Of course putting a foot down is the best way to convey a full stop to other traffic.
Old 10-13-10, 04:55 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by diff
But yeah, has anyone else been blamed of being a licenseless drunk?
One new employee did ask if I had a license suspension, I giggle and told them this bike was all I was left after the bitter divorce.

The same day, that guy offer to buy lunch for me
Old 10-13-10, 05:11 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tell them yes, but the upside is now you have more money for beer since you're not spending it on gasoline.... win-win.
Old 10-13-10, 05:24 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Next time tell them that it wasn't just DUI but you're also on parole for a violent murder....

A.
Old 10-13-10, 05:38 PM
Pippin

Bikes: Cannondale Six13, Noble F4, Ridley Supercross, GT Xizang, GT Edge CX. Fat Tire cruiser bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, sounds like your riding was unpredictable, kinda like a drunk. In this case, follow the rule of the road----stop and signal.

Who cares what you think he is think. Impossible to know and no point obsessing about it.
Old 10-13-10, 05:39 PM
Kojak

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Next time tell them that it wasn't just DUI but you're also on parole for a violent murder....

A.
And you have more money for beer, which puts you in a murderous rage....
Old 10-13-10, 05:52 PM
rex_kramer
Acts 2:38

Bikes: '10 Marin Lucas Valley, '13 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I look at it this way...

I don't care what other people think.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.