Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

chain relube

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

chain relube

Old 10-16-12, 01:16 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
chain relube

my motobecane tandem came with the most slimy drivetrain I have ever seen
Before any action was to be done-I measured the chains to see if they were worn out.
my luck, all that slime, they were perfect and not worn at all
I would have preferred to just purchased new shiny chains....

what I did was remove the chains, deraileurs and cranks and did a thorough pressurewashing of everything.

now the chains have sat on the boiler for a few days to be sure they are free of water.

I got chain oil but I just love the waxy stuff on a new chain- what is it?

mike
Old 10-16-12, 04:15 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,449 Times in 1,429 Posts
Sheldon claimed that no one knows what lube they use on new chains. He liked it, too, and wished he knew where to get it.

I've worked on bikes like that. It's pretty awful. Let us know if you get it clean and if you think it's worth the effort. I would just toss the chain, but getting the other stuff clean won't be easy.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-16-12, 04:23 PM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good gawd!

If you are froogle, Parks CT-5, ,mineral spirits and a tooth brush. Or just buy new chain, you'll still want some mineral spirits and toothbrush for all the sprockets.

Waxy stuff on a new chain?... Depends on what chain you are referring too. Some of the chains I purchased came with some nice machine grease and some come with just some oily mess that it's only purpose is to prevent rusting when shipping. And not good as a lube.
Old 10-16-12, 05:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Eww, gross. Did they just cover their eyes and spray lube at the bike?

From what I've read, "Gleitmo" is the stuff applied to SRAM chains at the factory.

Originally Posted by Fuchs Lubritech GmbH
[h=1]gleitmo 582[/h] [h=2]Beige chain lubricant[/h] [h=3]Description[/h] gleitmo 582 is a white, adhesive semi-synthetic grease with solid lubricants, liquefied with a solvent which is free of aromatic compounds for easy penetration into the cavities of the chain.
gleitmo 582 is in liquid form when applied, but becomes a stringy, adhesive grease which can neither be thrown off nor washed away by water after the gradual evaporation of the solvent. gleitmo 582 is also largely resistant to acids and lyes and provides reliable protection against corrosion.
[h=3]Fields of application[/h] gleitmo 582 is used for low-speed and high-speed power-transmitting chains of all types within a temperature range from -15 to +120 °C. gleitmo 582 also protects your chain when used in areas where resistance to water and steam as well as resistance to acids and lyes is required.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-16-12, 08:28 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd soak your chain in mineral spirits to make sure that all of the old oil has been taken off of the chain. Once that dries, I'd recommend putting on some Chain-L (made by forum user FBinNY). It's as close as you're going to get to the lube that comes on a new chain. It lasts for hundreds of miles (I just went 950 miles without having to reapply it), and if applied correctly, your drivetrain will be relatively clean after the first 150 or so miles. FBinNY can talk more about his product.
Old 10-17-12, 01:14 PM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
"Eww, gross"

I pressure washed the chains off the bike for half an hour and it is really clean

I even found slime on the rear brake shoes!

turned out to be a sedis front and sachs rear chain- they are clean enough to touch and not get dirty now.
actually they were worth saving.
I got chain lube but was hoping to find something as good as new.

I know sheldon liked the stuff on new chains, thats what I was wondering about.

the off road motorcycle guys- they have by far the worst conditions and I think we could learn from them about chain lube
Old 10-18-12, 08:22 AM
Taste

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite, Raleigh Revenio 3.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice work getting that stuff off of there. No doubt the bikers are staying up on chain lube.
Old 10-18-12, 10:51 AM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The OEM lube used on most chains is defined as a adhesive grease
gleitmo 582 is a white, adhesive semi-synthetic grease with solid lubricants, liquefied with a solvent which is free of aromatic compounds for easy penetration into the cavities of the chain
This grease has a high viscosity and is heated to lower the viscosity and the chains are submerged in the grease and then allowed to cool so it's doubtful you are going to be able to replicate it exactly. Best case is to use a thick viscosity oil and give it time to soak in (as mentioned before Chain-L is a good product). As far as your bike goes, it's pretty obvious the seller added to the OEM chain grease with an aerosol chain oil; you're example shows why that is not a recommended method of oiling a chain.

BTW, how is the tandem riding going; my wife says it's better and more fun than marriage consulting.

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 10-18-12 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 11:05 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I would like to ask a bit of an OT question. I just cleaned a new chain and lubed it with White Lightening as I am going to ride the GAP&C&O. I had put A wet lube on it before I cleaned it and rode a bit. It seems that the chain is not as quiet with White Lightening.
Thoughts?
Old 10-18-12, 01:21 PM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
I would like to ask a bit of an OT question. I just cleaned a new chain and lubed it with White Lightening as I am going to ride the GAP&C&O. I had put A wet lube on it before I cleaned it and rode a bit. It seems that the chain is not as quiet with White Lightening.
Thoughts?
Which white lightning product did you use?
Old 10-18-12, 06:09 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

It is the Clean Lube.
Old 10-18-12, 07:34 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Leave the factory lube on the chain.
Old 10-18-12, 08:13 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The chain was probably dipped in molten wax, then occasionally oiled.
Old 10-18-12, 08:13 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by puchfinnland
the off road motorcycle guys- they have by far the worst conditions and I think we could learn from them about chain lube
I think they have sealed chains.
Old 10-18-12, 08:51 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
It is the Clean Lube.
Most While Lightening products are either Teflon and/or wax (the Clean Ride is wax). While dry lubes keep the chain clean, they don't stay on the chain long and need to be re-applied constantly (this is the mecanism that keeps the chain clean). They also have a tendency to build up in the derailleur slowing it's performance. The wet lube, while it attracts dirt stays on much longer and stands up to water, which the dry lubes do not. The key is to apply a minimal amount of wet lube and copious amount of dry lube..
Old 10-19-12, 06:10 AM
Tandem Tom

I will REALLY lube the chain beore and during this trip. I am only using White Lightening because of all the grit and dirt I will run into while riding the GAP & C&O.