Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is any Injuries you can get from cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 03:53 AM
jxpowers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For example with recreational badminton people can sometimes develop problems with the shoulder and ankle if you dont know how to hit and move properly

Is there anything you can get with cycling? knee problems, hip problems or back problems? anything that can naturally occur by riding?
Old 11-30-12, 05:46 AM
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yes, Problems in the groin area for both men and women can, and do , occur.

For men it's prostrate issues that can be very harmful if left unattended. For women it various problems with their lady bits.

All of this can be controlled with a good seat installed correctly.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 11-30-12, 06:48 AM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO, from my personal experience, the most common injuries obtained from cycling are knee or hand related. Of course, there are injuries which occur due to falls and accidents, too. The most you can do there, is to exercise caution and ride safely, wearing the proper protective gear.

I personally wear gloves to protect my hands, just in case of a fall or accident. I usually wear a helmet too.

Of course, during my most recent fall back on July 3, of 2011, I chose that day NOT to wear gloves and skinned up my right hand really good. My gloves would have quite literally saved my skin that day!

Of course, wearing my helmet didn't save my head. However, I did see how it could possibly have helped me, as my head ended up only about an inch or two from a car's bumper...

PS.

Having greater hand positions available during longer rides, I believe, avoids hand pain in the form of cramps (due to decrease in circulation) and provides a certain level of overall comfort. Road bike drop handlebars always give you more possible hand positions.

Last edited by SlimRider; 11-30-12 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-30-12, 07:06 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jxpowers
Is there anything you can get with cycling? knee problems, hip problems or back problems? anything that can naturally occur by riding?
Many (most?) injuries that people get from biking can be traced back to improper technique. For example, wrong saddle position/mashing on your pedals can lead to knee problems. If you are somebody who can't get comfortable (for long enough) on a road bike, try a recumbent.

Some injuries are due to falling. These can sometimes be mitigated by proper gear (e.g., helmet, gloves, etc).

The final thing I'd like to point out is that riding your bicycle is much safer thansitting on your couch.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 11-30-12, 07:43 AM
jxpowers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
can anyone direct me to how to adjust the seat properly video
Old 11-30-12, 10:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
High-siding a corner and plunging down a mountain will hurt.. slow down!
Old 11-30-12, 10:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
You can incur all sorts of injuries from cycling ...

1. If your bicycle is not set up properly, you'll have any number of joint issues.
2. If you have an accident, you'll have any number of other injuries.

If you want to make sure your bicycle is set up properly ... go to a bicycle shop and ask them to fit you on the bicycle for the type of cycling you do. You can also find books in the library that talk about bicycle fit.
Old 11-30-12, 04:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
What do you mean, "naturally"? There's nothing "natural" about bicycles, as great as they are.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-30-12, 04:03 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You can slip while standing up on a platform pedal and land on your junk when you fall onto either the TT or the seat. There are almost limitless ways to hurt yourself on a bike.
Old 11-30-12, 05:20 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,478 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
There are almost limitless ways to hurt yourself on a bike.
Yeah, I find new ways all the time. Sure is fun though.
Old 11-30-12, 06:30 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
You could turn your head to creepily ogle a female jogger and crash into a parked car. Or you could litter an empty packet of Gu and have it flutter down and get caught in your drivetrain causing a spectacular wreck. Worst of all, you could raise your hands in victory, as if you were winning the Tour de France, while crossing a bridge, lose control, and tumble off the bridge to your death.
Old 11-30-12, 06:35 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
You could turn your head to creepily ogle a female jogger and crash into a parked car. Or you could litter an empty packet of Gu and have it flutter down and get caught in your drivetrain causing a spectacular wreck. Worst of all, you could raise your hands in victory, as if you were winning the Tour de France, while crossing a bridge, lose control, and tumble off the bridge to your death.

You'll have to excuse Rebel...He's just being himself!
Old 11-30-12, 06:37 PM
jxpowers

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
What do you mean, "naturally"? There's nothing "natural" about bicycles, as great as they are.
i wasent talking about bicycles,

Originally Posted by DataJunkie
You can slip while standing up on a platform pedal and land on your junk when you fall onto either the TT or the seat. There are almost limitless ways to hurt yourself on a bike.

i think you misunderstood my question, that is not natural that is self inflicted

but dont worry other people understood my question
Old 11-30-12, 07:00 PM
juniorcat

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2, LeMond Zurich, Trek Fuel EX8, Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, it's more a matter of the onset of muscle soreness/tightness. It's important to stretch after rides, to keep the muscles from seizing/cramping (not medical terms - just my description). I've had to zombie-walk into a sport's therapist's office to get my limbs back to normal flexibility before, and time and agin I've been told to stretch after rides.

It's also a good idea to switch positions on the handlebars during long rides - on the hoods, the straight part, and the drops.

One more thing - be sure to look where you're going. I got into a groove last week, spaced out, and ran into a HUGE orange "Men at Work" sign in the bike lane
Old 11-30-12, 07:09 PM
rebel1916

Originally Posted by SlimRider
You'll have to excuse Rebel...He's just being himself!
Often people riding steel bikes are gruesomely injured when the steel frame fails catastrophically, and they are catapulted face first into the ground.
Old 11-30-12, 07:15 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Often people riding steel bikes are gruesomely injured when the steel frame fails catastrophically, and they are catapulted face first into the ground.
Yeah, I know_______And I've got the face to prove it, too!
Old 11-30-12, 07:20 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There are injuries from working on your bike. Chainring gouges can be nasty. I've seen broken noses from removing seatposts, and a slipped wrench can bust open a hand easily.

Then there are carbon fiber frames that spontaneously combust when ridden by poor people.
Old 11-30-12, 07:22 PM
rebel1916

Originally Posted by SlimRider
Yeah, I know_______And I've got the face to prove it, too!
My face got like this as a direct result of mouthing off to catholic school girls as a boy. They beat the good looking right out of me.
Old 11-30-12, 07:31 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
anything that can naturally occur by riding?
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
i wasent talking about bicycles,
Ok, boss.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-30-12, 07:41 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My face got like this as a direct result of mouthing off to catholic school girls as a boy. They beat the good looking right out of me.
Old 11-30-12, 09:40 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
A bee could fly into your eye at speed; that could be injurious.
Old 12-01-12, 12:48 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Excluding trauma from accident, there are basicly two categories of injury that can occur as a result of cycling, many injuries are the result of the combined effects from both categories:

Injuries due to poor ergonomics: These can be caused by either poor technique/posture/position or from riding a bike that is not properly fit to your individual body mechanics. There are a number of online guides to bike fitting that will get you in the ball park. Park Tools, Bicycle Magazine, or Sheldon Brown's websites are reliable sources. Remember that the initial fit you will get is just a guideline that will need to be tweeked after you have put in a good number of miles. If you ride with clipless pedals, don't forget to include proper footwear with good cleat placement and alignment support for supination or pronation.

Overuse injuries: These include friction/pressure injuries such as saddle sores, strains on overused muscles, or inflammation of joints. Like any other physical training, it must be done in stages to allow your body to adapt. Push too hard and you can develop problems. Ergonomics can't be completely separated from overuse issues as bad ergonomics decrease the amount of time it takes to develop an overuse injury, ie. you can ride a bike that is properly fit and set up for you a lot longer than you can a bike that is a poor fit, has a poor saddle, or is otherwise poorly suited to you. Overuse injuries plague new riders but decrease with conditioning. Pushed hard enough, anyone can develop an overuse injury.

- Don't neglect your rider interface points, shorts to saddle, gloves to grips/bars/tape/controls, and shoes to pedals. These are the areas you are going to notice problems with first. Other possible problem areas are the knees, lower back, shoulders, neck, and elbows.

- Learn and practice proper posture and technique. Listen to your body to identify signals that it is time for a rest, stretch, change in hand position, or some recovery time. Good nutrition decreases fatigue. A fatigued rider is more likely to ride with poor posture or sloppy technique.
Old 12-01-12, 03:03 AM
iheartbacon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Going off my jump log, in 147 sky dive jumps I've broken my collarbone, sprained my ankle 4 times upon landing, and compound fractured my femur once.

Going off memory in cycling as a kid to young adult I've had countless scrapes, bumps, and bruises. Too many to count, especially mountain biking. I broke my collarbone twice, once as a kid and again when I was a teenager. Dislocated my left knee once and my right shoulder twice. I've also had 2 mountain biking related skull fractures and about 3 concussions. I was not very good at mountain biking. I've hit my nuts on more parts of a bike than I care to remember. Coming back as a 30 year old adult I got a few bumps and scrapes from a run in with a car.

On the whole I feel safer skydiving than I do riding my bike. Although I feel safer mountain biking than I did in my two BASE jumps. Those are scary as ****.