Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

MEC National touring bike, changed this season, for the better

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-15, 09:33 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts

forgot to add the link:

https://www.mec.ca/product/5041-062/m...10+50013+51411

This bike, the National, has been around about 5 years now, but while a reasonable bike, it always had a Tiagra crank on it before 50/39/30 , which since Tiagra went to 10 speed, has the diff bolt pattern that limits the granny to a 30 (92bcd I think whereas before it was a 74bcd that could go to 26 or perhaps 24). It also used to have Tiagra brifters, fine with me, but it was really the gearing that with the 12-30 cassette, really wasnt low enough for proper loaded touring (not in my experience anyway, 25 gear inches just doesnt hack it)

so today I see they have changed it quite a bit.
9 speed bar end shifters, Deore 46/36/26 crank along with a 11-32 will get the low gear down to about 22 or a bit lower with the stock 32mm tires on.
also it is disk now, Avid BB7s Roads.
XT rd

not a bad bike now, at $1450, its a pretty close competition to a LHT or Trek 520

the wheels are 317s, 36spoke, and hubs are Deore also I think.

all in all a nice bike with good quality components , and finally they listened to the complaints about the first edition of it. I remember telling the folks on the floor that it was silly that it was billed as a "tourer" but they obviously chose the components by price, and not by recommendations by real tourers.

anyway, another neat bike to add to the other neat new bikes out there.

Last edited by djb; 06-07-15 at 10:06 PM. Reason: link
Old 06-08-15, 06:40 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
djb, Last year the REI Novara Randonee underwent similar changes here in the US, moving it much higher in the pecking order for an off the rack touring bicycle. Good to see Canadians also now have a similar bike for a reasonable price.

If you're thinking of buying one, you may want to act quickly if sales are as brisk for MEC as they were last year for REI.

Brad
Old 06-08-15, 07:23 AM
djb

Its interesting in that with the Randonee, they do specifically mention that it has double butted frame tubes, the National blurbs dont give any mention of the frame.
I'm not interested in getting one, not at this point, but as you say, its great to see bikes that are of good quality and with gearing that as is will work for folks getting into touring and who don't know much about how low gears they need. Any 46/36/26 crank is already a good start and while this comes with a 11-32, that rd could take more.
I'm a little surprised they stayed with 9 speed, given how common 10 spd is getting, and the majority of people touring will ride in N America/Europe where chains and cassettes are available easily. Guess it was a price decision.
Old 06-08-15, 05:53 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I often wondered if the LHT trucker, National Touring, and the REI Randonee frames were all made in the same plant.

Prior to the National going disc, I had a chance to talk to a guy who had one of the National touring bikes. We compared my LHT with his bike and the forks were identical. I've looked at the Randonee several times and the fork crown is also identical. Other frame characteristics are also very similar. Even the spare spoke holders on the LHT and the Randonee are similar. The new MEC bike uses Reynolds 520 tubing which blows my theory on the new bike.

Last edited by Doug64; 06-08-15 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-08-15, 09:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
That is nice that things have changed for the better. Hopefully they continue on the trend and keep upgrading it to a better touring bike.
Old 06-08-15, 09:36 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Doug64
I often wondered if the LHT trucker, National Touring, and the REI Randonee frames were all made in the same plant.

Prior to the National going disc, I had a chance to talk to a guy who had one of the National touring bikes. We compared my LHT with his bike and the forks were identical. I've looked at the Randonee several times and the fork crown is also identical. Other frame characteristics are also very similar. Even the spare spoke holders on the LHT and the Randonee are similar. The new MEC bike uses Reynolds 520 tubing which blows my theory on the new bike.
interesting about the forks, the way you describe it, chances are the forks anyway were made in the same place.

also interesting that apparently I have lost my ability to read, re: the Reynolds 520 tubing, which on the Reynolds site tells me that it is butted, must be single butted if they dont say double or triple or whatever.
My old Kuwahara frame tubes are quadruple butted, not really sure what fancy schmancy affect that is supposed to have, but it does have a very supple ride over rough stuff. Riding it on the trainer this winter did not demonstrate this however, and I havent really ridden it on the road for a few years now, since I redid all the cables and housings.

back to the National, I'm pretty certain the $1450 price is very close to the Trek 520 and the LHT. I'm tempted one day to drop in at MEC and take one for a test ride, just to see how it feels.
Its interesting that they put a B17 on it, I know they arent everyones favorite, but for someone who knows they like them, that certainly is an attraction to this bike, even from the budget side of things.
Old 06-15-15, 08:16 AM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64

My 4 y/o Randonee has 520 tubing as well, so do all of the newer models.