Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Tommasini Lounge

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Tommasini Lounge

Old 11-28-12, 02:19 PM
  #151  
IknowURider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Central CT USA
Posts: 652

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey guys, I could use a hand at some point. I need a 115MM BB spindle in Campy taper, I have a 110 in great shape to trade...
IknowURider is offline  
Old 11-28-12, 02:53 PM
  #152  
canyoneagle 
Senior Member
 
canyoneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chapel Hill, NC (temporary)
Posts: 4,506

Bikes: Jamis Dragon 29er. Frame waiting for roads: 1990 Zullo EL-OS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, man.
My Tommasini was stolen in 2001 during an overseas relocation (fully insured, thankfully), and I will always long to have another one day. For me, it has been the best riding bicycle I have ever experienced.
Here is an old pic, and yes, I used to run 2-3cm smaller frame to get the right fit and saddle-bar drop. This bike fit me like a tailored suit.

'98-99 ish Tecno EL/OS with Record 10

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tommasini.jpg (49.3 KB, 744 views)
__________________
Main bike: retro-mod build - 1990 Zullo EL-OS frame with 2018 Chorus

Last edited by canyoneagle; 12-01-12 at 01:27 AM.
canyoneagle is offline  
Old 11-29-12, 03:51 PM
  #153  
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche
 
HigherGround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
Posts: 5,769

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Even though I don't have a Tommasini, I give this thread two big thumbs up!
__________________
The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.
HigherGround is offline  
Old 11-30-12, 05:02 PM
  #154  
Bulldozer27
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A Tommasini has been my Holy Grail bike ever since I was 14 back in '85 and could only afford the Bicycle Guide magazines that featured road tests of them. Now I finally have one that I can post on this thread.

Bulldozer27 is offline  
Old 11-30-12, 05:26 PM
  #155  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
A Tommasini has been my Holy Grail bike ever since I was 14 back in '85 and could only afford the Bicycle Guide magazines that featured road tests of them. Now I finally have one that I can post on this thread.
That one looks worth the wait.
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 11-30-12, 07:31 PM
  #156  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,075
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulldozer27 View Post
A Tommasini has been my Holy Grail bike ever since I was 14 back in '85 and could only afford the Bicycle Guide magazines that featured road tests of them. Now I finally have one that I can post on this thread.


Wild paint!

Love it.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 11-30-12, 10:00 PM
  #157  
eippo1 
I like beans
 
eippo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Meffa, MA
Posts: 3,353

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Holy crap, that's a nice bike! I love it with the Delta brakes.
__________________
You got it buddy: the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

2009 Dean El Diente Superlite
2011 Bianchi Zurigo CX
2005 Specialized Sworks E5 "Calamity"
2007 Fuji Thrill LT1.0
199? Tommasini ? (pending build)
2001 Della Santa
eippo1 is offline  
Old 12-15-12, 03:20 PM
  #158  
nickillus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My newly acquired Tommasini Fire. I love these bikes. It's great being a part of this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00212.jpg (99.4 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00216.jpg (95.3 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00191.jpg (100.7 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00213.jpg (94.3 KB, 234 views)
nickillus is offline  
Old 12-15-12, 03:26 PM
  #159  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,075
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by nickillus View Post
My newly acquired Tommasini Fire. I love these bikes. It's great being a part of this thread.
Gorgeous!

Feel free to fill us in on the build when you get a moment.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 12-15-12, 03:51 PM
  #160  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Gorgeous!

Feel free to fill us in on the build when you get a moment.
Looks like chorus 11, ceramic coated open pros, 3t bar/stem, and a miche supertype post. Hubs may be record but I can't tell on my smartphone.
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 12-16-12, 09:41 AM
  #161  
nickillus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having bookmarked this thread some time ago I've just come to the realization that this is in the classic/vintage forum. Sorry. My brain turns to mush at the mention of Tommasini's. At any rate the build is:

Columbus Spirit 57cm frame
Chorus11
50/34 crank
12/27 cassette
Record hubs
Mavic Open Pros 32 spoke (not ceramic coated)
my old San Marco Regal saddle (someday a red one)
3T Rotundo bars
3T ARX stem
Miche seat post
Continental GP4000s 23mm tires
Look Keo classic
18.8 lbs complete
nickillus is offline  
Old 12-16-12, 09:53 AM
  #162  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,075
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by nickillus View Post
Having bookmarked this thread some time ago I've just come to the realization that this is in the classic/vintage forum. Sorry. My brain turns to mush at the mention of Tommasini's. At any rate the build is:

Columbus Spirit 57cm frame
Chorus11
50/34 crank
12/27 cassette
Record hubs
Mavic Open Pros 32 spoke (not ceramic coated)
my old San Marco Regal saddle (someday a red one)
3T Rotundo bars
3T ARX stem
Miche seat post
Continental GP4000s 23mm tires
Look Keo classic
18.8 lbs complete
Nice build, probably close to what I would do if $$$ permitted.

Are you loving the Columbus Spirit ride?

I have a Spirit framed bicycle and she's a real knockout.

Btw Don't worry about posting that beauty here.

Can't imagine anyone will say a negative word about the posts in this thread.

Also, did you order this directly from Tommasini?
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 12-17-12, 08:19 AM
  #163  
nickillus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the compliments.

Are you loving the Columbus Spirit ride?
Absolutely. Coming from a 531 tubed vintage Trek (my primary ride for the last 4 years) the Tommy is stiffer, lighter and a better fit for me. I haven't had it out in the wild yet but I think she'll be great in the hills. I'm not a racer but if I was twenty years younger this would be a helluva sprinters bike.

Also, did you order this directly from Tommasini?
No, a distributor

what about the main tube shape?
Bell shaped top tube (roughly 31mm diameter), down tube (roughly 37mmX40mm), and chain stays. Difficult to capture the shape on camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00238.jpg (56.9 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00225.jpg (83.8 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00230.jpg (59.2 KB, 224 views)
nickillus is offline  
Old 12-17-12, 10:21 AM
  #164  
nickillus
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes. The down tube, top tube, and chain stays are all bell shaped. I assume you are in Italy? If so, Buon Natale e felice Anno Nuovo!
nickillus is offline  
Old 12-17-12, 11:06 AM
  #165  
dmpstrdvr1962
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: sunny central Texas
Posts: 59

Bikes: 2002ish Colnago CT1 Mapei team edition, 1989 Tomassini Diamante, w/Mavic Classics tubulars, 2002 Gary Fisher Sugar2, 1998 Bontrager Privateer "rasta colors", 1993 Gary Fisher Prometheus, 1987 Bianchi Grizzly in Celeste, Bontrager B-52 24BMX cruiser,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canyoneagle View Post
Oh, man.
My Tommasini was stolen in 2001 during an overseas relocation (fully insured, thankfully), and I will always long to have another one day. For me, it has been the best riding bicycle I have ever experienced.
Here is an old pic, and yes, I used to run 2-3cm smaller frame to get the right fit and saddle-bar drop. This bike fit me like a tailored suit.

--
'98-99 ish Tecno EL/OS with Record 10

--love it and the Cinelli Grammo stem - a flat peice of ti shaped and welded
dmpstrdvr1962 is offline  
Old 12-17-12, 12:06 PM
  #166  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickillus View Post
Thanks for the compliments.Are you loving the Columbus Spirit ride?Absolutely. Coming from a 531 tubed vintage Trek (my primary ride for the last 4 years) the Tommy is stiffer, lighter and a better fit for me. I haven't had it out in the wild yet but I think she'll be great in the hills. I'm not a racer but if I was twenty years younger this would be a helluva sprinters bike.Also, did you order this directly from Tommasini?No, a distributorwhat about the main tube shape?Bell shaped top tube (roughly 31mm diameter), down tube (roughly 37mmX40mm), and chain stays. Difficult to capture the shape on camera.
That is fantastic. I love the downtube cable routing.
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 01-31-13, 05:48 PM
  #167  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our living room doesn't have enough light in the evenings for a proper cellphone picture, but I got a new saddle and can't contain myself.

thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 01-31-13, 05:55 PM
  #168  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,075
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Our living room doesn't have enough light in the evenings for a proper cellphone picture, but I got a new saddle and can't contain myself.

Lovely.

Saw a fabulous pearl white ELOS Tecno at the shop today.

He lives a quarter of a mile from us in St.Paul.

Unbelievable.

Need anything at the swap?
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 01-31-13, 06:06 PM
  #169  
canyoneagle 
Senior Member
 
canyoneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chapel Hill, NC (temporary)
Posts: 4,506

Bikes: Jamis Dragon 29er. Frame waiting for roads: 1990 Zullo EL-OS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Our living room doesn't have enough light in the evenings for a proper cellphone picture, but I got a new saddle and can't contain myself.


MMMMMMMM......
That's tasty.
__________________
Main bike: retro-mod build - 1990 Zullo EL-OS frame with 2018 Chorus
canyoneagle is offline  
Old 01-31-13, 06:07 PM
  #170  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
Lovely.

Saw a fabulous pearl white ELOS Tecno at the shop today.

He lives a quarter of a mile from us in St.Paul.

Unbelievable.

Need anything at the swap?
Thanks! It's crazy how these bikes come out of the woodwork despite their low production numbers.

Ive been thinking about the swap meet. Other than spokes for the bike above I am pretty set. I the near future I expect a large portion of my hobby funds will go to jerseys. I am looking for simple gray/black/white stuff or vintage inspired schemes that really only have one color. (Think Campagnolo, ralfa, and vintage velo)
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 01-31-13, 06:13 PM
  #171  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,075
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Thanks! It's crazy how these bikes come out of the woodwork despite their low production numbers.

Ive been thinking about the swap meet. Other than spokes for the bike above I am pretty set. I the near future I expect a large portion of my hobby funds will go to jerseys. I am looking for simple gray/black/white stuff or vintage inspired schemes that really only have one color. (Think Campagnolo, ralfa, and vintage velo)
What size should I look for just in case?

I assume I could always text you from the swap.
__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 01-31-13, 06:30 PM
  #172  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
What size should I look for just in case?

I assume I could always text you from the swap.
An American large seems to be the best. I can use an American medium but it is a fairly snug "pro fit". I wish I could split the difference.

i ave one Italian (campy long sleeve) that is an xxl. It is a little loose, but gives me sleeve lenght and the ability to layer. I don't own a short sleeve Italian jersey.

a text would be great.
thirdgenbird is offline  
Old 02-03-13, 10:20 PM
  #173  
colnagoracer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 20

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige; BMC Road Racer SL01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was originally posted in the Vintage Thread until I realised there was this one...


Hi All, i've managed to pick up my dream bike - a Tommasini Super Prestige !. The components are a mix of Athena ( ?year) and I'm wanting to build her up with higher spec period correct Campy components. I'm trying to source some Tommasini panto stems/ seat posts etc.
Anyone know what year this frame would have been (late 80's)? I'm not sure if it would have originally had down tube shifters ( it now has handle bar shifters).
Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tomma16.jpg (100.6 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg
tomma05.jpg (106.0 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg
tomma17.jpg (85.9 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg
tomma14.jpg (87.8 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg
tomma13.jpg (99.1 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg
tomma12.jpg (78.3 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg
tomma08.jpg (93.7 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg
tomma01.jpg (106.1 KB, 700 views)
colnagoracer is offline  
Old 02-03-13, 10:24 PM
  #174  
gomango 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: STP
Posts: 15,075
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 74 Posts
Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Gorgeous Super Prestige.

There are a few of us that have these on the forum, including myself.

Here is a contact address to find out more about your beautiful bicycle.

https://www.tommasini.it/eng/contatti.php

__________________


Bikes and stuff

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/
gomango is offline  
Old 02-03-13, 10:29 PM
  #175  
thirdgenbird
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,107
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a beauty.

If I were you, I wouldn't bother changing the components for anything but 11spd Athena. The difference between 8spd Athena and record isn't real big and the difference with chorus is even smaller. If you wan to keep it period, I vote leave it as is. No shame in Athena.
thirdgenbird is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.