Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

The squeaky pulley wheel gets the silicone spray, not grease

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

The squeaky pulley wheel gets the silicone spray, not grease

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 04:36 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Davet
One ‘cure’ for squeaky pulleys, and in my experiences will really extend the time in between maintenance work, is TACX pulleys with sealed bearings. My wife and I have them on all our bikes which have thousands of miles with no maintenance done on the pulleys and with no issues.
Thanks for the reference
Old 06-03-20, 08:07 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
One ‘cure’ for squeaky pulleys, and in my experiences will really extend the time in between maintenance work, is TACX pulleys with sealed bearings. My wife and I have them on all our bikes which have thousands of miles with no maintenance done on the pulleys and with no issues.

Tacx der wheels sound interesting; oddly their website only mentions their trainers. They make several models of der wheels & it's not quite clear which model works for which derailleur.
Old 06-03-20, 09:14 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Here’s a screenshot from Amazon of the exact pulleys if you’ve got Shimano or Campy rear derailleur.The TACX pulleys are all the same except for tooth count and type of sealed bearings. They come with adapters so they can fit Shimano, Campy and SRAM.

Last edited by Davet; 06-03-20 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-04-20, 06:39 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa
.... I was using medium weight oil on the chain from time to time, to flush and wipe. The previous two months on mainly pavement, no problem. Started the gravel section, and the jockey wheels packed up with solid oily dust looking just like that crud above nearly every day. I didn't have a different lube with me, and couldn't have found a bike or hardware store until I got to Gibraltar at the end of the stretch.
I used to always use an oil based chain lube, even for riding on gravel trails near my home. But I had one those little boxes with scrubby wheels in it that you can put solvent in to clean the chain, so for riding near home that was not a problem. But that box with scrubby wheels does not go on tour.

My month long tour in Iceland four years ago I brought a small bottle of 90W140 synthetic gear lube (left over from a Jeep differential lube change) to use on my chain. That trip was probably about two thirds pavement, one third gravel/cobbles. At the end of the trip my chain was disgustingly filthy. When I got home I wasted way too much time to clean it before I checked it and found elongation was sufficient to discard it. I should have discarded it in Iceland when I packed up my bike. That was my last tour with an oil based lube.

At a swap meet, someone had a small half used bottle of this for a few bucks.
Finish Line - Bicycle Lubricants and Care Products - Ceramic Wax Lube

Bought it and have been using it ever since for both wet and dry conditions. When my drive train is noisy, I apply more. If I wipe off the chain, do that at end of day ride. Chain is much easier to clean than my old oil base lube. My tour last summer, five weeks i Canadian Maritimes, I expected to get home and find the chain was due to be discarded, but the elongation was not yet at that point, I am still using that chain.

The two trips I described above were with my Rohloff bike, no jockey wheels. But I use that same lube on my derailleur bikes. There is some grime buildup on the jockey wheels, but not worse than when I have used other lubes.

There probably are a hundred threads on chain lube on this forum, I do not claim to have anything better, I am only describing my very limited experience here. If you ask a hundred cyclists what chain lube they recommend, you will get about a hundred and fifty suggestions, all different.

Here’s a screenshot from Amazon of the exact pulleys if you’ve got Shimano or Campy rear derailleur.The TACX pulleys are all the same except for tooth count and type of sealed bearings. They come with adapters so they can fit Shimano, Campy and SRAM.
Thanks for posting, I have heard of their pulleys before, tried to research them more on the internet and could not find what I needed to know. But I did not check Amazon. I need to look at that harder.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 06-04-20, 10:33 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Are bearing jocky wheels worth it? I saw a video review of the tacx from 2011 and the person claims 13 years and still spinning fine even though the nylon wheel itself is worn down so it did its job. It's only $15 to try, I've spent far more on far less so why not. So far I've never had a problem with my standard Shimano ones other than maybe the center pin getting some corrosion, expanding and scarring the nylon. I can usually clean that off and keep going. Most of my rides are in crud and possibly rain/water, is that a postive or negative for a bearing vs sliding friction based jockey?

Last edited by u235; 06-04-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-04-20, 01:36 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Are bearing jocky wheels worth it? I saw a video review of the tacx from 2011 and the person claims 13 years and still spinning fine even though the nylon wheel itself is worn down so it did its job. It's only $15 to try, I've spent far more on far less so why not. So far I've never had a problem with my standard Shimano ones other than maybe the center pin getting some corrosion, expanding and scarring the nylon. I can usually clean that off and keep going. Most of my rides are in crud and possibly rain/water, is that a postive or negative for a bearing vs sliding friction based jockey?
I would hazard a guess from other bearing bike experience that if in rain and crud, it would be worth it.