Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Four hole shoes recommendation?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 10:32 AM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

It's time for me to get a new pair of cycling shoes and since I ride Speedplays I'd like to see if I could find some that have four mounting points for the Speedplay cleats so I don't have to use an adapter. I want to spend under 250 USD if possible. Any recommendations?
Old 06-07-20, 05:03 AM
sneakerfreaka

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Canyon Aeroad 8.0, Canyon Ultimate CF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
There isn’t many, Vittoria, Sidi, Lake, DMT, Rocket7 and Gaerne all do (or did), I’ve always wanted them too, however none of them offered a ‘wide fit’ 4-bolt option. Northwave is another great option, they use a special adaptor that is almost as good as 4 bolt holes, has a really low stack height and way better than the standard adapter for all 3-bolt shoes. I can’t comment on price, you’ll have to search those brands locally (I’m Aussie).
Likes For sneakerfreaka:
Old 06-07-20, 06:14 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Lake offers them, and their shoes are pretty fantastic.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 06-07-20, 10:44 AM
justonwo

Bikes: 2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 Disc (Enve SES 3.4), 2021 S-Works Aethos (Roval Alpinist CLX II), 2024 Topstone Lab71 (Terra CLX II), 2006 Cervelo Soloist (10 speed Ultegra), 2021 S-Works Epic

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 34 Posts
I just order a pair of Lake 403s with 4 hole, but they are well above your stated price. I’m not aware of many Speedplay-specific shoes that aren’t quite pricey. The Lakes fit much better than my S-Works road shoes, but only a ride will reveal how much better they are in practice.
Old 06-07-20, 11:40 AM
MidTNBrad

Yeah, those Lakes look sharp. I might have to rethink my budget.
Old 06-07-20, 01:47 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Be sure to check the size chart for Lakes. They have 3 lasts with differing widths for each.
Old 06-10-20, 08:48 PM
MidTNBrad

Originally Posted by sneakerfreaka
There isn’t many, Vittoria, Sidi, Lake, DMT, Rocket7 and Gaerne all do (or did), I’ve always wanted them too, however none of them offered a ‘wide fit’ 4-bolt option. Northwave is another great option, they use a special adaptor that is almost as good as 4 bolt holes, has a really low stack height and way better than the standard adapter for all 3-bolt shoes. I can’t comment on price, you’ll have to search those brands locally (I’m Aussie).
I heavily considering some Northwaves but I can't find any information if the Speedplay adapter is included with the shoe or if it is sold separately. Any experience?
Old 06-10-20, 09:44 PM
sneakerfreaka

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Canyon Aeroad 8.0, Canyon Ultimate CF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
I heavily considering some Northwaves but I can't find any information if the Speedplay adapter is included with the shoe or if it is sold separately. Any experience?
It's sold separately, I've had a quick search and they seem to be VERY hard to find (just search 'Northwave Speedplay Adaptor kit'), I bought it about 6-7 years ago too. I saw on a a different cycling forum that someone had issues using it with the new 'walkable cleats' Speedplay offer now so maybe that's the reason it's not readily available anymore, such a shame! If you're using the older style X cleats, might be worth trying to track it down though.
Old 06-11-20, 07:45 AM
MidTNBrad

Originally Posted by sneakerfreaka
It's sold separately, I've had a quick search and they seem to be VERY hard to find (just search 'Northwave Speedplay Adaptor kit'), I bought it about 6-7 years ago too. I saw on a a different cycling forum that someone had issues using it with the new 'walkable cleats' Speedplay offer now so maybe that's the reason it's not readily available anymore, such a shame! If you're using the older style X cleats, might be worth trying to track it down though.
I couldn't find anyone selling the speedplay adapters either. Heck on a cursory review of Northwave's own site I couldn't find any mention of them. I may have to move on which is too bad because those Extreme GT 2s in white look sweet.