Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Tool Kit at Lidl Market $19.99

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bicycle Tool Kit at Lidl Market $19.99

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-20, 11:25 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I wouldn't poopoo it unless you actually tried it. On specials like this they typically lose money and it's there to draw people in. I would jump on this if I had one near me. Even if it's crap you are likely to use many of these tools once in a moon and if you do it more than that you probably already have a good one to replace the default one in that nice case.
Old 05-31-20, 12:29 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
https://www.lidl.com/products/1218528

bicycle tool kit

$19.99*

• for bicycle repairs and maintenance
  • ready for anything with 20 different tools
  • includes chain whip, bottom bracket tool for Hollowtech II and other compatible external bearing bottom brackets, pedal wrench (15mm), hex key (8mm), square drive adapter for 8mm hex key, six hex keys (straight end 2/2.5/3mm; ball end 4/5/6mm), three tire levers, chain tool (6-10 speed), spoke wrench (Sizes 9/10/11/12/13/14 and two 15), square drive crank puller, crank arm cap/preload bolt tool for Hollowtech II cranksets, cassette removal tool for Shimano HG, Torx wrench (T25) and tool case
  • dimensions: 11.22" x 8.38" x 2.36"
  • 3-year limited warranty

I have lots of tools and things from Lidl (not all of them bike related) and I can it say that they're really good for the price. The bicycle workstand cost me 30€ and is better than some 100€ ones.

I would buy this if I needed it.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 06-06-20, 09:02 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Yeah, er, no. LIDL is well known, and well ridiculed in Italy, where there are many "discount" supermarkets and "Chinese Stores." Overall, they sell crap. Yes, you can find some things that aren't that bad, but nothing is "good quality," unless your perception of quality is seriously skewed
This says nothing about lidl but does reveal you have the attitude these promotions exist to counteract - you've never shopped there, so you wouldn't know what you're talking about, but you think it's disgusting and beneath you.

Maybe you'll get better, maybe you won't, either way you're definitely keeping yourself separate from the social circles I move in so makes no difference to me.
Old 06-08-20, 09:46 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
This says nothing about lidl but does reveal you have the attitude these promotions exist to counteract - you've never shopped there, so you wouldn't know what you're talking about, but you think it's disgusting and beneath you.
Maybe you'll get better, maybe you won't, either way you're definitely keeping yourself separate from the social circles I move in so makes no difference to me.
Ha, what? Did you even read what I wrote? What's with people making accusations based on shoddy reading comprehension. Did I use the word "disgusting" anywhere in my post?

I clearly stated that I would have no qualms about purchasing a $30 bike stand there, or a few other items. And I have shopped at Lidl before, so I absolutely know what I am talking about. I never implied that there is anything wrong with what they sell, just that it cannot be considered "quality," because it is not. Again, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with selling low quality items, but trying to claim they are anything different is disingenuous.

And since you decided to go a step further and criticize my spending philosophy, I'll simply respond by saying that appreciating quality products, and being open to paying for quality, isn't something to be scoffed at. One could just as easily say that those in your social circle (a type which I am also directly familiar with) will hypocritically continue to make decisions that drive quality producers into extinction and leave us with nothing but big box stores and lousy walmart bikes. You see how that works?

Last edited by robertorolfo; 06-09-20 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-09-20, 07:17 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
One could just as easily say that those in your social circle (a type which I am also directly familiar with) will hypocritically continue to make decisions that drive quality producers into extinction and leave us with nothing but big box stores and lousy walmart bikes. You see how that works?
This, in my opinion, is what happened to the music industry, of which I am no longer a part.
Old 06-09-20, 11:22 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
This, in my opinion, is what happened to the music industry, of which I am no longer a part.
Absolutely. The modern music industries, like many other industries, has seriously devolved. The reasons are manyfold, but suffice to say, in my opinion, the democratization of media outlets isn't always a good thing.

But hey, we were talking about took kits, right?
Old 06-09-20, 12:30 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
...But hey, we were talking about took kits, right?
Tools, music...they both fall under the category of things we want to hoard but don't want to pay for.

As the thread starter, I was looking for someone to talk me out of buying this kit -- for pretty much the reason you described above. Items like this set the bar lower and lower and make it harder for quality tool makers to convince people that better tools are easier to use, last longer, etc. Ironically, many things we use every day have gotten worse and worse, quality-wise, and just keep going up in price. Take electronics, for example. We keep paying higher prices for smart phones and they keep using cheaper, crappier components so that they only last a year or so. I wonder why we cut Apple and Microsoft so much slack for providing junk at premium prices, but want to crucify the manufacturer of this tool kit for providing junk at a junk price.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 06-09-20, 01:08 PM
robertorolfo

Tools, music...they both fall under the category of things we want to hoard but don't want to pay for.

As the thread starter, I was looking for someone to talk me out of buying this kit -- for pretty much the reason you described above. Items like this set the bar lower and lower and make it harder for quality tool makers to convince people that better tools are easier to use, last longer, etc. Ironically, many things we use every day have gotten worse and worse, quality-wise, and just keep going up in price. Take electronics, for example. We keep paying higher prices for smart phones and they keep using cheaper, crappier components so that they only last a year or so. I wonder why we cut Apple and Microsoft so much slack for providing junk at premium prices, but want to crucify the manufacturer of this tool kit for providing junk at a junk price.
Yep, we are certainly in agreement here. You can also put furniture on the list.

Regarding tools, I have experience with both ends of the spectrum. When I was living abroad I couldn't bring my tools with me, and I couldn't justify the expense of buying high quality stuff that I might only use for a few years, and which I already owned in another location. So I did buy quite a few cheap versions as a temporary measure. Some of them were truly awful (broke on the very first use), others were pretty decent, but most were what you would expect. For routine service on well maintained parts, they were fine. But anything tricky, or anything less than ideal (like older, stuck parts), and the limits of the tools would become immediately apparent.

Point is, having some cheap stuff as a backup isn't a bad idea, but of course it's good to own the quality stuff as a baseline. Not just because it makes things easier, but because it makes sure the quality stuff doesn't go extinct.
Old 06-09-20, 02:26 PM
CaptainPlanet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
HOLY ****! Any place I can buy that kit? The link is dead and that looks like an amazing kit with all the tools I ever need
Old 06-09-20, 02:31 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainPlanet
HOLY ****! Any place I can buy that kit? The link is dead and that looks like an amazing kit with all the tools I ever need
Check ebay

Old 06-09-20, 02:47 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I’m still trying to get my hands on one but they seem elusive.
Actually found the box the tools come in on my last visit there. Except the tools themselves were missing...

I did buy that thirty dollar stand, though. Have used it twice since and it really ain’t bad for the money.
And I’m liking how I got a stand stowed in the trunk of the car now.
Likes For Rage:
Old 06-10-20, 12:30 AM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Same also for the computer industry, for which I am no longer a part of.

Market dissolved down to people who will buy only the cheapest thing available so they can shop on Amazon and watch videos on YouTube, and the rare few people who want a gaming PC... for as cheap as possible. I was in both sales and service (repairs & upgrades), and 2014 with the big three (Dell, HP, Lenovo) consistently maintaining stock of sub-$300 MSRP pcs and laptops on the mass-retail market that year, the repair business died and the demand for gaming, and to lesser extent special need computers, wasn't enough to keep the 'mom & pop' computer shops alive. Shop I had been employed at for eight years, which was the largest and most successful in this part of the state, did lay-off's in mid-2015 and I was one of the first round employees they let go. After that, went to Work at Best Buy's dreadfully operated Geek Squad and found they hadn't been hitting store level corporate quotas for over a year, and by the time I quit that job another three years later we'd had only on month out of the thirty-eight months I'd been there that quota's for customer repair check-ins had even been met. Most customer's, quite reasonably, couldn't see the logic in paying $150 to have their old computer worked on when they could buy a whole new, warrantied, computer for just twice the price of the repair labor cost.

Last edited by game_player_s; 06-10-20 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typo