Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Flooding in Midland. Anyone know Sanford bridge status?

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 05-21-20, 07:32 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts

As many of us have heard, the breaching of the dam in Edensville Michigan has caused massive flooding in Sanford and Midland. I've seen pictures of the parking lot for the Pere Marquette trailhead, with only the roofs of the farmers market peaking through the flood. I think I'm safe to assume that 1.5 miles up from the trailhead, the path is unaffected.
But, I am concerned about the bridge in Sanford. I know it's somewhat higher up, about 15ft or so. Anyone know its status, to include the nearby bathrooms and pavilion? They were always good stops during the Howard's Friends tour (unfortunately cancelled this year due to covid19)
Old 05-23-20, 08:48 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
I road from Midland to the restrooms in Sanford this morning I couldn't see the bridge with the large pile of trash on the trail near the restrooms, but have seen photos of the bridge with a lot of things blocking it. i am sure with everything else that needs cleaned up no one will be working on the trail for a while. Here are 3 photos I took this morning at the restrooms in Sanford the big pile is right on the trail. The Sanford dam also failed. I am going to try and ridefrom the other side to the bridge tomorrow.

Old 05-25-20, 07:45 PM
Oldsledz

The trail is blocked about 1/2 mile west of Sanford closest parking west of Sanford is North Bradley.
Old 05-26-20, 12:13 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
As sad as I am to see this, I do appreciate the update. Is Saginaw road open to use as a bypass?
Old 05-28-20, 06:46 PM
Oldsledz

Originally Posted by friday1970
As sad as I am to see this, I do appreciate the update. Is Saginaw road open to use as a bypass?
Saginaw road is not open in Sanford , I will check it out again this weekend but I don't think there is a good bypass for a bike. The express way is also closed in sanford so there are a lot of cars on the side roads probably not safe for a bike.
Old 07-04-20, 02:15 PM
Oldsledz

I will try and go there and check it out tomorrow. The last I knew they had the trial closed at 9 mile road 3 miles west of Sanford to about 1 or 2 miles east of Sanford I think just to keep people out of Sanford. The trail was ok other than some sand on it , but I know they placed a tree across the trail just east of the old railroad bridge.
Old 07-05-20, 05:09 PM
Oldsledz

The trail has about 5 miles closed in the Sanford area, from 9 mile road to about 1 mile east of M30 (Meridian road) I road my bike around downtown Sanford today there is not much being done to clean up the flood damage. I would guess at this point it will be a couple months before that part of the trail is opened back up, if at all this year. There is vary little damage to the trail it self.