Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need advice for buying first road bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 10:51 PM
nomit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need advice on buying my first road bike so I can stop using my mountain bike on the road and be better equipped to do longer rides (150km<. My budget is $2500 Canadian and I am comfortable with endurance and race geometries but have a preference for race. My options are;

•buy new. I’m currently eyeing the Specialized Allez but I definitely need bike recommendations as I do not really know where to start. I’m torn between going for the base build which comes with the 8-speed Claris groupset and the Axis Sport wheelset while the Elite build comes with a 105 groupset and a better DT460 wheelset with sealed bearings. My thinking is that if I go for the base build, I’d have a pretty good bike but the components can be better (especially the wheelset), hence the dilemma between the base and the higher build level.

•my second option is to buy used as I can have a better frame and better components like Ultegra and even have Di2 within my budget ($2500) if I find the good deals. The downside of this option is that there’s no warranty, seller honesty (crashed bikes), and my wallet would take a bigger hit immediately instead of buying new and having the bike financed over a year.

To summarize, I’m torn between buying the lowest build spec which would still be better than a mountain bike on the road; buying a higher specced build new for the better components and longevity; and buying used and having even better components.
Old 07-02-20, 05:46 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Cheap components wear out surprisingly quickly if you ride consistently.

I wouldn't go with anything less than Tiagra/105, myself. Even my 105 stuff began needing replacement after 15,000 miles or so (right shifter, derailleur pulleys, front derailleur; think it was a dud, though).

My first bike with Sora (though this was 9 speed and a while ago) didn't even it make it 5000 miles before I'd broken multiple spokes and the shifters started acting up.
Old 07-02-20, 05:48 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,759 Posts
At your level of experience, I think you would be better served buying new 105 than taking a chance on something used. Not everyone thinks financing a toy is a good idea but I'll bet you know that.... Ask a mod to delete your duplicate thread.
Old 07-02-20, 06:26 AM
eric1971

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
105 is a great groupset that will serve you well for many years without leaving you wanting more. If you buy the Claris bike, you'll most likely be upgrading inside of a year.
Old 07-02-20, 06:33 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
In 2004 when I decided to buy a road bike I hesitated between a Specialized Allez at $1500 or a used Devinci Imola half carbon half dura ace half 105.

I ended up buying the Devinci Imola, replaced every 105 part by Dura-Ace parts bought 50% discount on eBay. Rode 10 000km on that bike.

I bought a new $2400 BMC Promachine SLC01 frame 3 years after and transferred all the Dura-Ace components. Rode 50 000km on that bike in 9 years and the Dura-Ace shifters started to wear out.

then I assembled a BMC TT02 frame from a BMC TT03 I stripped getting it on eBay, raced my Ironman triathlons on it.

then bought a 2016 BMC Roadmachine 01 for $2300 on eBay in 2017 and got a $7900 warranty replacement frame BMC Roadmachine 01 One in 2019.

on my 16 years journey from buying/selling/assembling bikes I turned around 2000$ profit, including the 3 bikes I have in my basement.

Now, I don’t know what are your plans, interests or your capabilities. But I learned a lot through all the YouTube tech videos online and had some tips from friends along the way. Today, I never have to go to a bike shop for a bike problem. I fix them myself.

Now you decide what your story will be.

Last edited by dr_max; 07-02-20 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-02-20, 07:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,759 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_max
Now you decide what your story will be.
Yep, gotta love the Internet!
Old 07-02-20, 08:42 AM
y2zipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
I can tell you as someone that bought a bike with the claris groupset to start with that you should get something better if you can afford it and know you'll ride consistently, especially considering your budget. I ended up financing a new toy this month because upgrading to what I wanted from the entry level price point cost so much it made more sense for me to just buy another bike.