Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aluminium vs Carbon for a long term investment

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Aluminium vs Carbon for a long term investment

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 06:16 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I wonder how many forum members have had a crabon frame asplode catastrophically. I’m genuinely interested, so I’m going to start a thread. I’m guessing the number will be extremely low.
You will just start another argument. I've never heard the word "asplode" until you just used it. I wasn't aware of the long history of this topic on this site until I just now searched and found all the multi year old arguments about the durability of carbon.

But nevertheless the perception is there. A good number of people are hesitant to buy used carbon bikes because of the unknown, so what does the OP mean by "investment".

Also feel a first time bike owner is better served with a non-carbon frame for a multitude of reasons. Put your money into higher end components, that is the sort of thing that will drive a new rider crazy and possibly turn them off to the sport.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 07-02-20 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-02-20, 06:43 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
.. so what does the OP mean by "investment"...
I shake my head when this type of discussion comes up. Appreciating assets are investments. These are purchased with the intent that they will increase in value over time.

Bicycles are depreciating assets. These are expensed in the year of purchase or depreciated on a schedule. So, enjoy the recreation that your new bike provides you. The bike is always worth less than when you bought it new, unless you're talking about a particular bicycle ridden by Fausto Coppi or Merckx for a stage race or a grand tour win, and even then appreciation will be minimal.
Old 07-02-20, 07:34 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,035 Times in 1,429 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You will just start another argument. I've never heard the word "asplode" until you just used it. I wasn't aware of the long history of this topic on this site until I just now searched and found all the multi year old arguments about the durability of carbon.

But nevertheless the perception is there. A good number of people are hesitant to buy used carbon bikes because of the unknown, so what does the OP mean by "investment".

Also feel a first time bike owner is better served with a non-carbon frame for a multitude of reasons. Put your money into higher end components, that is the sort of thing that will drive a new rider crazy and possibly turn them off to the sport.
Yeah it’s certainly not a financial investment. An investment in fitness or just plain fun...absolutely.
Old 07-02-20, 09:46 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,485 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Compare an allez elite for$1300 vs other aluminum disk brakes bikes for $1900 (105 level components)

Is it worth almost 50% more money for hydraulic brakes?

Future proof? What are you concerned about not being able to buy brake blocks in 15 years hahahaha

Everyone does seem to love hydraulic brakes, but they certainly add weight and cost.
I'm not trying to debate the merits of rim vs disc brakes, I have bikes with both and they stop just fine.
My concern is that it's impossible to retrofit a rim brake frame for discs, and being stuck with rim brakes will limit future options for components and wheelset choices in the future, plus they limit wheel/tire sizes now.

It seems pretty clear to me that the bike industry is moving towards disc-brakes being the new standard. If you browse major manufacturer's websites, you'll see the vast majority of higher end road bikes are disc-brake. You have to really search to find a new Dura Ace or Ultegra level bike with rim brakes. It would not surprise me at all to see component manufacturers start to eliminate rim brake versions of popular groupsets in the near future as a response to this. Why would SRAM or Shimano continue to design and sell a rim brake versions of Red or Dura Ace (or even Force or Ultegra) if almost no bike manufacturers are specifying rim brakes on new bikes at these spec levels?

I'm sure rim-brake parts and compatible components and wheelsets will be available for decades, but options will be increasingly limited.