Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Orgasmic riding bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Orgasmic riding bikes

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 12:44 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Orgasmic riding bikes

To borrow a term from @RobbieTunes who has a bike where the ride is just fantastic, the bike just dances and in other words is orgasmic?
have to you been able to figure out why and duplicate?

What have been key differences? wheels, tires, frame or just plan magic combination that is not reproducible

I am 6 foot (but at the shrinking stage of life ) and 266

My prime ride is a 90/91 De Rosa that obtained from @gomango (who noted it was the best climbing bike he has ridden)
it is set up with 105 5800, Mavic open pro rims, 32 spokes, double butted spokes on ultegra 6800 hubs (bought from Performance so not sure if hand or mahince build) and Vittoria Corsa G tires with race butyl tubes I run at 115psi, brooks swift steel rail saddle It is on the large size for me at 59cm and the frame is SLX
It rides great, handles well and is smooth and responsive

My ride that was a total surprise at how is dances and is orgasmic is my 84 Team miyata. It is double butted miyata tubing set up with a mix of 7400 and 7100 dura ace. the wheels are a nearly NOS wheelsmith build with mavic 330 rims and straight gauge spokes on sanshin cartridge hubs, and Challenge elite pro tubular (not supper high end 220TPI and butyl tubes) at 130psi the frame is on the small size for me at 54 or 56 (have to double check measurements

this bike just dances, light handling and smooth and jumps when pushed hard. my mechanic (go to for things like BB chasing) rode it and and couldn't believe it.

in the case of the Team Miyata I think the wheels/tires made a huge difference.... I rode it a bit with the wheels it came with,Mavic MA40 on dura ace ups and double butted spokes, with newish Bontrager 25mm tires..... and the ride wash much harsher....didn't ride that combo enough to get a feel of dancing even though harsh.

I am thinking I am going to get some tubies for the de rosa and see what that does....probably ultegra 6800 with mavic reflex cd rims and see what happens, not sure on tires, but higher end.

If that doesn't add magic, I will seriously consider looking for a 58 cm Team Miyata and see if I can create the magic with that frame and modern components....

your stories and thoughts?

Old 05-06-19, 02:24 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I raced an 86 Team Miyata and without a doubt with the right wheels the bike was orgasmic! Heavy wheels did it no justice, but tubulars with good quality tires were unbeatable for delivering a lively, Mr. Bojangle ride!

Also had a mid eighties Nishiki Medalist fully equipped with Suntour Cyclone and it, too was a fantastic riding machine. Quick and lively, and climbed better than the Miyata for some reason even though the frame was not as stiff.
Old 05-06-19, 02:55 PM
BikeWonder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 52 Posts
If it's a good frame, then swapping out the wheels and tires can make the biggest difference.
On my Peugeot UE8, I switched the steel rims to aluminum and better tires. It easily rolled as well as my Miyata 1000 (which is lighter and more agile).

I tried swapping in a Tubular Mavic GP4 + Cyclone Hub wheelset into my Miyata and it performed flawlessly. I wish I could put the wheelset on a Pro or Team Miyata to truly enjoy them. For now the wheelset are just waiting for the right bike.

Last edited by BikeWonder; 05-06-19 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 03:01 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
My 2016 Wraith Hustle.
They create "bespoke" customs, which means, I guess,
they get all your dimensions, they make a frame in their 5-size range,
and tell you what to put on it, as far as bars, stem, seatpost.

Dead on.
Not only does it fit, it is a great bike besides, and well, that's just peaches.

Like finding a beautiful woman who doesn't know it.
Old 05-06-19, 03:52 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
I guess I'm a bike ****, I'll ride anything.

Old 05-06-19, 04:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I can't say I ever got it "perfect" Mid-season on my Fuji Pro was pretty close. That bike fit and with a few thousand miles on it, became part of me. (Very, very quick steering and short enough reach that I had to bend my elbows to right angles to get my back horizontal.) I was young enough and fit enough to do that for hours.) I raced it on really light wheels and 250 or 220 gm silks.

In a lot of ways my current "good bike", my ti TiCycles is there but I did not spend money to make it especially light and it has never seen light wheels and sewups. My TiCycles fix gear is lighter and feels like a pure race bike* but fix gear uphill dancing happens at a waltz pace, not a foxtrot.

* with sewups, that bike would be a high end 1980s road race bike in a fictional word where freewheels never existed. I get reminded every time I ride it. (It's just a blast!)

Edit: my pic is that fix gear going up a 14% grade. A very slow waltz.

Ben
Old 05-06-19, 05:01 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Not too ironic that a "squirtdad" would find a ride "orgasmic."

Old 05-06-19, 05:57 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Not too ironic that a "squirtdad" would find a ride "orgasmic."

I stole the orgasmic from @RobbieTunes...... is seemed a good description......... My own word is dancing the bike just wants to dance

time to put some sexwax on my longboard (yater blank, squirtdad shaped)

Old 05-06-19, 06:05 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
gotta have something to do with the saddle
Old 05-06-19, 06:27 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Or the seat post.

With the right carbon paste, anything is possible.
Old 05-06-19, 06:34 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Pictures, we need pictures.
Old 05-06-19, 10:09 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
The bike that really stands out for me this way is my '82 Specialized Sequoia. It's not that it rides so much better than any of my other bikes so much as it just feels "right" in some indefinable way. From the first time I rode it, it broke any mental model I had of what makes one bike better than another.

It's got Specialized branded tubing which I understand is a mix of Tange #2 and Tange #3 . It's very well made (by an unknown craftsman in the Miki? factory). The geometry is fairly standard sport touring. Yet from the first ride I've had the impression that it even coasts faster than my other bikes.
Old 05-06-19, 11:49 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Somehow I keep finding bikes that one-up each other in some way. As a high school athlete that did sprints when track season came around, putting the pedal to the metal is still in the blood. All that to say, getting out of the saddle to climb or sprint is a lot of fun, and I love bikes that dance with me. One of the benefits of being tall and heavier (6'5" / 215ish) is that I have some weight and leverage to rock a bike back and forth. And the taller a frame for a set tubing dimension, the (theoretically) more flexible it is. I really enjoy that. Some bikes, no matter what, will not work with me. Some are particular to a wheelset. Some are magic pretty much no matter what.

Of the luminaries past and present, two were/are Italian--Guerciotti Super Record (SL), Masi Nuova Strada (SLX-SP), and the others American--Davidson Impulse (Prestige), Land Shark Road Shark (Prestige), Schwinn Prologue (Prestige), Specialized Epic Carbon (CF w/ AL lugs and fork).

The Masi was smoooooooth no matter what you put on it, very amorous in any situation. The Guerc is full-on criterium crazy, but never out of control. I still need to build it up again.

Tange Prestige tubing seems to be a current theme for stellar characteristics. My Italian stuff may have a snap or flare, but all my Prestige bikes have an underlying serenity or poise both when on the gas and when moving along. The Davidson was almost ruined by a dull set of older Conti tires, but found life with aggressive and light Vuelta wheels and Vittoria Open Corsa tires. Load as much horsepower into it any time and it would spring its way up a hill or on the flats--it feels invincible. My Prologue is more sinuous in her motions but is absolutely brilliant in all situations.

My Land Shark does not have any super low weight fire-hot components--still, a full suite of 8s STI Shimano 600 has her stealth fast and crazy smooth. Truly magic, and great out of the saddle. More time is needed with her. I did not think stuff got smoother than my Masi or the Prologue, but here I am with the Land Shark!

That leaves the Specialized. My first vintage carbon frame (finally!) and it takes Prestige tubing's qualities and adds a nice dose of increased vibration suppression. Wait, so does the Land Shark. The Shark is uncanny, truly. The Spec will have you wondering if you have a flat.

I need to ride my Prologue again. Too many wonderful things!

Another common thread perhaps is Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX tires. 320 TPI clinchers. Very light, not super great flat protection, but they've done well for me. Very supple and smooth. Most all my fast bikes have them, and that's largely thanks to me finding them used for $10 a pop at the coop.

TL;DR - Vittorias and thin wall diameter tubing, to grossly oversimplify. Man, did I just answer my own question (this very question) from several years ago by saying "really nice tires and whippy high-end frames"?
Old 05-06-19, 11:52 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
If I had an orgasmic bike, why would I even need a wife?

(And no, you can't ride her.)
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 05-07-19, 04:09 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
Or the seat post.

With the right carbon paste, anything is possible.
I can’t say from experience but my guess is this ^
Old 05-07-19, 06:05 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,936 Times in 1,763 Posts
Ok, I'll play. I've got two I'll say falls into this category. The first is the mid 90's Giordana Xl built up with an Athena 11 speed and some nice Campagnolo Shamal wheels. I've yet to set any speed PR on it but everytime I take it out it just feels so orgasmic under me. Nothing else I have connects with me like this one.

It's pretty light for a steel bike with all alloy parts.

Maybe it's the "magic" of the Excell steel or Dario's design?

The other one is completely different yet just as sexy in it's own way. It's my 1985 Fuji Opus III sporting a Superbe Pro 6 speed setup with DT shifters that are so erotic to the touch. It may be 3 lbs heavier but it too is so damn good out on the road and there's no part of the bike that isn't beautiful.

Old 05-07-19, 07:38 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Rode my Y-Foil last night. Almost got there.
Old 05-07-19, 07:39 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
This one just fits me. I felt it immediately the first ride. I felt strong and comfortable. What more can one ask for!

Likes For styggno1:
Old 05-07-19, 07:43 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
This one just fits me. I felt it immediately the first ride. I felt strong and comfortable. What more can one ask for!

Not a good question to ask this group Great to see another of your collection @Styggno!

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-07-19, 07:46 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Not a good question to ask this group Great to see another of your collection @Styggno!
Hi! Long time no see!

Sorry - I will change it to strong, comfortable and satisfied (just for this "orgasmic" thread)...

edit - I must have been away for quite a while - just notced there are "likes" to be had here. I will change my bikes accordingly...

Last edited by styggno1; 05-07-19 at 07:50 AM.
Likes For styggno1:
Old 05-07-19, 07:48 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
Hi! Long time no see!

Sorry - I will change it to strong, comfortable and satisfied (just for this "orgasmic" thread)...

You had to go there didn't you......

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-07-19, 07:50 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
If riding one of your bikes feels orgasmic, you're doing sex wrong.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 05-07-19, 07:52 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Originally Posted by qcpmsame

You had to go there didn't you......
Well - I am Swedish after all... nudge, nudge... say no more!
Likes For styggno1:
Old 05-07-19, 08:04 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
When I was heavy into building vintage bikes and then comparing ride qualities, I thought that every new find was, pretty much the best riding bike I owned

These days, after building and riding (for a month or two to allow time to properly evaluate) fifty or more old steeds, it occurs to me that it is pretty darn difficult for me to find much difference, in ride quality, between most of the higher end bikes that I have owned. Put another way, I am not a serious rider even though I do a few thousand kilometers each year. No competition. No hard training efforts. Just get on the bike and go as fast as I can for fifteen to twenty k per day.

The most impressive ride that I own today is my 1973 Peugeot PX10E - a lovely old, darn near 100% original, including a nice set of sew-ups...

But in all my years of riding, nothing ever matched the ride quality of this old Legnano that I found at the dump, spent not one cent on it and wish to heck that I had hung on to the bike...

Go figure?
Old 05-07-19, 08:32 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts

Univega Gran Premio
I just rode this, and I think I need a cigarette...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.