Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How To Estimate When My Battery Hits 30%

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-01-19, 12:29 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

Cygolite recommends that I store my Metro 850 Headlamp and my HotShot 150 Blinkie for the winter at 30% charge. OK, so can anybody hit me with a set of steps to get my batteries to 30% and to KNOW when I'm there?
Old 11-01-19, 12:45 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Well, you could get one of these West Mountain Radio - CBA HR but it is kind of costly just for bike light batteries...
Or you could charge them, record the time it takes to run them flat, recharge them and run them for 70% of the run-flat time and put them away. Which is kind of the same idea but cheaper.
What did Cygolight say when you asked them?
Old 11-01-19, 01:17 PM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Well, you could get one of these West Mountain Radio - CBA HR but it is kind of costly just for bike light batteries...
Or you could charge them, record the time it takes to run them flat, recharge them and run them for 70% of the run-flat time and put them away. Which is kind of the same idea but cheaper.
What did Cygolight say when you asked them?
It was kind of a challenge getting a definitive answer out of Cygolite. They suggested that I charge it for an hour; however, they didn't advise what my starting point should be...an hour from a totally discharged state? An hour from any state it's in when I put it away?

I know this is an almost impossible question to answer, but if there IS an answer out there, I figured this group would have it.
Old 11-01-19, 01:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Does this particular model change the color of the button's light (or blink) when it gets low?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-01-19, 01:29 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
It was kind of a challenge getting a definitive answer out of Cygolite. They suggested that I charge it for an hour; however, they didn't advise what my starting point should be...an hour from a totally discharged state? An hour from any state it's in when I put it away?

I know this is an almost impossible question to answer, but if there IS an answer out there, I figured this group would have it.
There's only 1 reference point. Any state of partial discharge is going to be nebulous.
I wouldn't "totally" discharge it, but if you are at the point the light is getting noticeably weak, you aren't that far away from totally discharged.

The rate of charge tapers as the battery voltage rises, since there is less potential for current to flow.
Think of a cell phone or similar device with battery level "bars".
Going from 1 bar to 2 is quicker than 2 to 3 is quicker than 3 to 4....

I guess you could read the voltage with a voltmeter at totally discharged & fully charged and interpolate 30%.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 11-01-19 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-01-19, 01:31 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Cygolite recommends that I store my Metro 850 Headlamp and my HotShot 150 Blinkie for the winter at 30% charge. OK, so can anybody hit me with a set of steps to get my batteries to 30% and to KNOW when I'm there?
You probably can't get in there with a volt meter, so that's out.
Cygolite is probably just pulling that 30% figure out of its USB port, so it's not that precise.
Full discharges frequently are not great for battery life, but occasional full discharge will be fine.

I suggest this protocol:
1. Charge it all the way to the max.
2. Discharge it all the way to nothing, using max output - time how long it takes to die.
3. Charge it all the way to the max again.
4. Discharge it at max output for 2/3 as long as the result in item 2.
5. Put it away for the winter.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 11-01-19 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-01-19, 01:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Actually, I think you're misinterpreting Cygolite's advice. I don't think they're saying to drain it to exactly 30% for storage, that's the minimum recommended charge. I would just top it off and call it a winter:

How do I maximize the lifetime of my battery?

Fully charge the battery upon purchasing your new lighting system or battery. Make sure the battery always has at least a minimal charge and is never completely drained. If you are not using the battery for a few months, safely store the battery with about a 30% charge. For every two months the battery is not used, charge it for about 1 hour before storing it again.
N.B.:

When should I charge my light?

It is recommended that you fully charge your battery whenever possible.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 11-01-19 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-01-19, 02:19 PM
Papa Tom

My initial instinct was to keep an eye on them between November and April and just re-charge them once or twice during that time. In fact, that's what I did last winter. However, that was before I knew how much I liked these lights.
Likes For Papa Tom:
Old 11-01-19, 02:53 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Maybe charge it, use it every 2-3 weeks, repeat.
Old 11-01-19, 03:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Actually, I think you're misinterpreting Cygolite's advice. I don't think they're saying to drain it to exactly 30% for storage, that's the minimum recommended charge. I would just top it off and call it a winter:

N.B.:
New recommendation?

I've always heard to top of the batteries.

Batteries, and devices will have a slow rate of self-dischage. So, if one charges to 30% in November, by March, it could be down to 10%, and dangerously low.

Storing it drained, or nearly drained is really bad on the batteries.
Old 11-01-19, 04:08 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
If it's a Li battery, you shouldn't store it fully charged although that's better than discharged which is horrendous. Tesla is able to provide an eight year (or whatever) warranty on their batteries by allowing them to be charged to 80% and shutting down at 20%. If you can't locate a voltage vs SOC charge for your batteries, I'd store them at their nominal voltage. For instance: my 52V batteries charge fully to 58.8V; usually I store them at 52V which is 60% SOC.
Old 11-01-19, 04:24 PM
Papa Tom

The batteries in these lights are not made to be removed, and that's part of the problem. If I could easily take them out without risking damage to the casing, I could test them every month or so and not have to lean on this group for advice.
Old 11-01-19, 06:00 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
30% is not a hard number you need to meet, basically you just want to be under 50%, probably. Any closer to target and you're looking at stressin' about 1-3% capacity difference. Temperature is as important as charge state. Based on the specs online; run the 850 for 1 hour from full charge on high and the 150 45 minutes from full charge on high solid mode. Then put them in the fridge and consider them stored until you need them next year.

I used to use a Maha charger to discharge my batteries for storage but found little difference than just estimating capacity based on prior runtime from full charge and storing them in the fridge.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...tore_batteries

FWIW the 850 is just a 18650 cell in a proprietary cover. You can open it up and replace the battery if you're comfortable with minor soldering/desoldering. The 150 is proprietary and does not appear to have any simple replacement alternative.
Old 11-02-19, 12:12 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
30% is not a hard number you need to meet, basically you just want to be under 50%, probably. Any closer to target and you're looking at stressin' about 1-3% capacity difference. Temperature is as important as charge state. Based on the specs online; run the 850 for 1 hour from full charge on high and the 150 45 minutes from full charge on high solid mode. Then put them in the fridge and consider them stored until you need them next year.

I used to use a Maha charger to discharge my batteries for storage but found little difference than just estimating capacity based on prior runtime from full charge and storing them in the fridge.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...tore_batteries

FWIW the 850 is just a 18650 cell in a proprietary cover. You can open it up and replace the battery if you're comfortable with minor soldering/desoldering. The 150 is proprietary and does not appear to have any simple replacement alternative.
Hmm, based on this I may need to take what I said earlier, @Papa Tom. Seems risky to store a battery at such a low SoC since it's bound to self-discharge a little over time, but Lithium-ion is weirder than the batteries I grew up with!

Thanks for posting this, @Spoonrobot. I've bookmarked it for future reference.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-02-19, 05:30 AM
Papa Tom

Yes, good info, Spoonrobot. Thank you!