Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

ISO/WTB 118mm Stronglight spindle

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-20, 11:40 AM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts

OK so here's the saga-- and I can't even believe it all as I write it:

During my ham-fisted attempts to remove a stuck Stronglight nds dustcap, I managed to slice into the crank fixing bolt with my Dremel. I did manage to get the $%$! dustcap off eventually, but then when I went to remove the crank bolt--- snap! Broke off the bolt. So then I go to the left-handed drill bit and an extractor--- but used too much (dumb) force and again, SNAP. Broke off the extractor.

Stubbornness led me to get out my Dremel again to try to grind out the piece of the extractor--- which I did, mostly. However, my control of the Dremel was clearly poor, as it's clear that the threads are now $%#@.

So: I give up. Anyone have a 118mm Stronglight spindle they'd be willing to sell me? I have a very beat-up project PX10 moving along which will need a spindle shortly.....

Thanks in advance--- (and yes, I am humbled/amused by my own ability to goof this up to this extent!)

N
Old 04-07-20, 11:43 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
There's one on the giant auction site for $35 with free shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Str...e/202629155790
Old 04-07-20, 12:43 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
eBay France is a good source but shipping can be tough. Still on a small item like this, it might be your best bet.
Old 04-07-20, 03:32 PM
no67el

Thanks guys. With shipping most of the French site options are at least $30+. Paying that just for the spindle seems a lot, but maybe I'm too cheap. If I'm going with that much $$ I might as well start looking at the Velo-orange sealed bottom brackets. They make a French thread version, but I would prefer to keep things at least somewhat original....

I will keep hunting. (Next time I wrench with more patience and less force!)

N
Old 04-11-20, 08:30 AM
mnmkpedals 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el

N
If you are still looking, give me a couple hours to play w kids and sort through my parts, but 75% sure I have one..... more to come. let you know.
Old 04-11-20, 10:39 AM
no67el

Thank you, I am indeed still looking for one! Just got back from a walk in the woods with the kids myself.... then later some more paint touch-up work on the "project" in question....:

Old 04-11-20, 11:13 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
no67el -

If you do decide to order from France, it is probable that out going postal and shipping will be blocked due to Covid. I have several items stalled waiting for restrictions to end. Since you now need replacement dustcaps, check this Australian site: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stronglight...UAAOSwIgNXofGu
Old 04-11-20, 12:06 PM
no67el

Hmm, that's something to think about-- thanks.

As far as new dustcaps go..... what, you think I shouldn't reuse this one?

Old 04-12-20, 08:06 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
Perhaps just a little too much patina?
Old 04-14-20, 11:47 AM
evwxxx
FalconLvr

Bikes: 62 Falcon, 58 Raleigh Lenton Gran Prix, 74 Raleigh Pro, 75 Raleigh Int, 75 Raleigh Comp, 76 Colnago Super, 75 Crescent, 80 Peugeot PX10, plus others too numerous to mention!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 68 Posts
Spindle

[QUOTE=no67el;21405446]OK so here's the saga-- and I can't even believe it all as I write it:

During my ham-fisted attempts to remove a stuck Stronglight nds dustcap, I managed to slice into the crank fixing bolt with my Dremel. I did manage to get the $%$! dustcap off eventually, but then when I went to remove the crank bolt--- snap! Broke off the bolt. So then I go to the left-handed drill bit and an extractor--- but used too much (dumb) force and again, SNAP. Broke off the extractor.

Stubbornness led me to get out my Dremel again to try to grind out the piece of the extractor--- which I did, mostly. However, my control of the Dremel was clearly poor, as it's clear that the threads are now $%#@.

So: I give up. Anyone have a 118mm Stronglight spindle they'd be willing to sell me? I have a very beat-up project PX10 moving along which will need a spindle shortly.....

Thanks in advance--- (and yes, I am humbled/amused by my own ability to goof this up to this extent!)

I have couple of these, same as shown in the ebay link above,,,but I believe mine is NOS, however that don’t mean it is pretty! (Small surface rust patches here an there). Let me know if still interested!
Old 04-14-20, 12:50 PM
no67el

Still interested, for sure! Feel free to pm me with details.

Thanks!

Noel
Old 04-14-20, 02:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
Thanks guys. With shipping most of the French site options are at least $30+. Paying that just for the spindle seems a lot, but maybe I'm too cheap. If I'm going with that much $$ I might as well start looking at the Velo-orange sealed bottom brackets. They make a French thread version, but I would prefer to keep things at least somewhat original....

N
For what it's worth, I've been impressed by the VO bottom bracket I have in my collection. Lightweight and well-sealed.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498