Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano/Alfine 8, axle replace or build wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20, 11:11 AM
h_curtis

Bikes: 80's Roberts road bike, Nashiki, ECR, Guerciotti and Penny Farthing

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 24 Posts

I have three /Shimano/Alfine 8's and one is on my wheel that I broke the axle where the nut is. Hope I am explaining this okay. I can't put the wheel on because there isn't enough thread left since it broke off on one side, if that helps. Anyway, I am wondering if I should have a wheel built with one of the other hubs or take two hubs apart and replace the axel on the wheel that is already built? Can you pull the axle without getting all involved in this, or do I have to deal with like 13 parts to switch it out?

Cost is a big factor as this is one of my commuting bikes that gets beat up in winter and such. The bike isn't worth that much. I never built a wheel, but would consider it if it isn't that hard.

Suggestions? I am in Pittsburgh if someone knows a shop. I just got back from one that sort of made is sound like I am sunk on this one.
Old 06-30-20, 12:51 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by h_curtis
I have three /Shimano/Alfine 8's and one is on my wheel that I broke the axle where the nut is. Hope I am explaining this okay. I can't put the wheel on because there isn't enough thread left since it broke off on one side, if that helps. Anyway, I am wondering if I should have a wheel built with one of the other hubs or take two hubs apart and replace the axel on the wheel that is already built? Can you pull the axle without getting all involved in this, or do I have to deal with like 13 parts to switch it out?

Cost is a big factor as this is one of my commuting bikes that gets beat up in winter and such. The bike isn't worth that much. I never built a wheel, but would consider it if it isn't that hard.

Suggestions? I am in Pittsburgh if someone knows a shop. I just got back from one that sort of made is sound like I am sunk on this one.
Depending on the model number on the hubs you have the internal assemblies are probably interchangeable.
If the model number is SG-S500 it might not be compatible with newer model’s. If the S500 logo is underlined it is a S500 B which is compatible with the SG-S501 hubs and can be interchanged.
I don’t know if the more recent S7000 internals can be swapped into the older hub shells because I have not tried it.
Old 06-30-20, 01:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Hillrider lives in Pittsburgh. Maybe PM him to see if he can help.
He started the thread below- "CarbonCycles Forks?"
Old 06-30-20, 05:17 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Depending on the model number on the hubs you have the internal assemblies are probably interchangeable.
If the model number is SG-S500 it might not be compatible with newer model’s. If the S500 logo is underlined it is a S500 B which is compatible with the SG-S501 hubs and can be interchanged.
I don’t know if the more recent S7000 internals can be swapped into the older hub shells because I have not tried it.
Good to know. I will look at that. Your advice could save me a hundred for sure.

Hoping to get guidance, but I know this isn't a normal question. Thanks all.
Old 06-30-20, 05:19 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Hillrider lives in Pittsburgh. Maybe PM him to see if he can help.
He started the thread below- "CarbonCycles Forks?"
I'll give it a shot. Bike shops around here are insanely busy. Some just laugh at my situation. UGH. Must be nice to be that confident in future business after COVID is over.
Old 06-30-20, 06:28 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I'll give it a shot. Bike shops around here are insanely busy. Some just laugh at my situation. UGH. Must be nice to be that confident in future business after COVID is over.
Would you trust a LBS that wasn't busy during this time?
Successful bike shops are always busy this time of the year. It's Winter when they starve.
Old 06-30-20, 09:03 PM
h_curtis

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Would you trust a LBS that wasn't busy during this time?
Successful bike shops are always busy this time of the year. It's Winter when they starve.
So? I usually fix my bikes myself, but this is more than I usually do. Do I build a wheel, or dig into the 8 speed? That is my question. It isn't about bike shops as much. They could care less if I can commute to work on my bike, they are living great with massive increase in sales and service. I would rather fix this myself, but I don't think anyone knows how to take these apart. I guess i could build a wheel, but that is quite a learning experience.

I am looking for advice or direction. Many shops don't want to touch this when they can make a buck much easier.

Last edited by h_curtis; 06-30-20 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-02-20, 07:29 AM
h_curtis

Just in case anyone searches, rebuilding a Alphine 8 is more difficult and involved in building a wheel, or at least that is my findings in my area. I am either going to build a wheel myself or have a friend build it.

Enjoy your ride!
Old 07-02-20, 07:43 AM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Just in case anyone searches, rebuilding a Alphine 8 is more difficult and involved in building a wheel, or at least that is my findings in my area. I am either going to build a wheel myself or have a friend build it.

Enjoy your ride!
QBP used to offer a couple of prebuilt alfine 8 wheels. They were pretty good deals. I have one on my bike, which cost less than the hub and rim would have had I done it myself. If they're still available, you could go that route.
Old 07-07-20, 07:02 PM
h_curtis

Well this is a wilder ride than expected. My old hub that needed replaced was a 36 spoke hub and my other two were 32 spoke hubs. Ah, the job got tougher. The job is at a wheel builder here in Pittsburgh and he noticed this right away. UGH. He was going to get another rim and so on, but he decided to exchange the insides of one hub to another. I will fill in on details as I get them. Glad I know some bad ass people here in the Burgh that know bikes very well. Yahoo!

Now if I was to do this myself, I would look at this video.

Last edited by h_curtis; 07-07-20 at 07:19 PM.