Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1973 Volkscycle Mark 100 Made in West Germany Rare find All Original.

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1973 Volkscycle Mark 100 Made in West Germany Rare find All Original.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-14, 01:06 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,340 Times in 2,180 Posts
never had any information on this company. it seemed like their products were only around for about three years.

the sticker on the frame's head tube states that the volkscycle corporation was located in los angeles, california.

a web search turned up this record stating that the company was created on october 19, 1971 and is no longer active.

it gives an address of 3600 wilshire boulevard, los angeles, ca 90010. this is an expensive office/retail area so the address is probably an accommodation one; perhaps that of the company's attorney.

Volkscycle Corporation in Los Angeles CA - Company Profile

do any readers know who manufactured their made in japan models?
Old 03-28-15, 08:07 AM
darmah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Johnson, I have read mostly disparaging remarks on the Volkscycle line calling them low end, barely better than Wards, Sears etc. But as you state the equipment even early is decent enough. Japanese products, early prototype by the 70's, were at least functional and simple maintenance. I bought one from a returning soldier at Ft. Hood in 1974 and have had it continually, commuting to college 5 miles each way, a couple of short road races, and carried two kids 4 years apart through the steep rolling hills west of Austin for 8 years. The bike goes into storage 4 yrs at a time and always come back with minimal service of tires, tubes, cable adjustments.
The weight of the German only badged ones, does not have a USA label or on front logo, is exceptionally light compared to crap it gets compared to and I concur with the weight with my shop scales. I have been a JAPANESE motorcycle mechanic for 40+ years and see the quality in the life of mine. I trade out bikes, very often and this one has been a keeper. We sold the Yamaha moto-bikes and later a line of early ATBs that were 2x heavier, so I have good idea of the weight differences.
My shifting has always been precise and light touch with only complaint loosening of the free ball bearing race at crank, and pedal cinch bolts. I was going to sell and build up an urban bike but am converting this instead. Surely sentimental but mine has been excellant and absolutely "good enough" even when sniffed at by a he condescenti. Happy pedaling.
Old 06-25-20, 03:52 PM
quindecima

Bikes: Flex, Volkscycle MarkX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I have one of these bikes ( Mark X)and bought it new about 45 years ago. I can't comment on the parts because I have extensively upgraded mine over the years but it's a good bike and I was happy when I got it. It came with side pulls and steel wheels.
Old 06-25-20, 08:16 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,785 Posts
I picked up the Volkscycle Mark XV years ago. It was a high tensile steel frame but was equipped with Shimano Arabesque components. Long since sold off.

Old 06-26-20, 06:03 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by johnson430
FYI, most of the work is done. =)
I think it is a thing a beauty. Waiting on bearings to come in for the rebuild.

Congrats; you did a nice job on this bike. You'll have fun riding it. There is nothing better than riding a bike that you totally fixed up.

I almost bought one of these on Craigslist a few years back but I missed out on the sale. It might have been a higher end model though because it had a lot of early dura ace parts on it (not just the brakes).