Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Walmart selling $149 road bike. Opinions?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-05, 09:45 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts

https://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...073#long_descr
Old 07-28-05, 09:50 PM
Ostuni
Guinea Hood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would have to upgrade that kickstand to carbon...
Old 07-28-05, 09:53 PM
bbp
hooray for spring

Bikes: 2008 Look 586

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
rofl, they turned a giant SUV into a road bike.
JoeTown244GL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A road bike with grip shift - WTF?
AlanS
Source Of All Knowledge

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please don't speculate whether it was made in a sweatshop in Taiwan. We can't afford to lose any more bandwidth.
ginger green
Good Enough

Bikes: gary fisher mtb - Bridgestone road

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you would be better off spending 150 bucks at a garage sale. Here is a quick analolgy - Just becuase you can buy a 4 dollar toaster at xmart - why would you?
Old 07-28-05, 09:55 PM
LordOpie

Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A guy who is barely passing his high school classes and usually stocks the olives and pickles is the one who assembled that bike.

PS: I sell Life Insurance. PM me, we'll talk.
Old 07-28-05, 09:56 PM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will HAVE to go test that out next time i'm at wal-mart.

Cheapest quality aluminum, lowest end shimano parts, no-name high-profile wheels...oh man, this should be fun. I'll take up a collection, rebuild the bike, and tell you guys how it works out.

I'll lay down $50 right now that my new-to-me 1989 bianchi I bought for $100 outperforms it and outlasts it in every single way.

I just can't see what good can come of taking a wal-mart quality mountain bike, making the tubes thinner, and making the wheels bigger and thinner.
Old 07-28-05, 10:02 PM
clfjmpr44

Bikes: 2000-Canary Yellow Trek 1000, 1999 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The scary part is that at first glance (not looking at the spec sheet obviously) it has a pretty sweet profile...
I'll take up a donation in VA to make the purchase as well. Then I can meet with all the VA/DC/MD folks and they can take it for a ride, if it is rideable that is. Release forms all around!
Taking $5 donations...will set up meeting point for rides...
A
Old 07-28-05, 10:03 PM
50mph

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That bike really made me laugh, and the first post was hilarious. But i think the funniest part, i don't know if you noticed... the bike only comes in 57cm. Grip shift on a road bike is just plain ridiculous too. Nice kickstand though, looks nice and sturdy, carbon would knock about 15 pounds off.

Get yourself a solid used bike that fits you.

Last edited by 50mph; 07-28-05 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-28-05, 10:08 PM
alanbikehouston

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It is difficult to find a road bike in a first rate bike shop for under $500. So, there is a unmet need for a less expensive road bike. However, my guess is, THIS is not the bike that will meet that need.
Old 07-28-05, 10:11 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I think is funny is that this damn thing shows up about once a month, with somebody asking what we all think of it. And we reply.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 07-28-05, 10:11 PM
clfjmpr44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First time I've seen it...I mean its a Denali, so the blinkers at least work...right?
Old 07-28-05, 10:15 PM
Eatadonut
You know you want to.

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, 1980's 531 steel fixie commuter, FrankenMTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twahl
What I think is funny is that this damn thing shows up about once a month, with somebody asking what we all think of it. And we reply.

really? i live at walmart when I'm up at school, and I've never seen a road bike there. Unless by once a month you mean once a month for the past 3 months. then maybe.
Old 07-28-05, 10:19 PM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
I would'nt buy it if I had money to throw away! That bikes listed under the category of 'toys'. Anyone who sells a cheap roadbike considering it a toy is'nt worth paying attention to. Also I dunno if 'that toy' would survive a 100 mile tour.
Old 07-28-05, 10:20 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

I didn't realize others has posted about this before. However, I was curious about two things.

1) If anyone has actually purchased one
2) More detailed specs like tire width (700cc x ??) and gear ratio

Since I ride Walmart bikes with great success, I'm curious about this bicycle. If I see one at my local Walmart, I'll buy it and try it for a week and see how it works out.

Cheers,
My 1,950 bike tour on a Walmart bike
https://biketour.ne1.net
Old 07-28-05, 10:21 PM
twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never seen it in the stores, just on their web site, as referred to by folks looking for opinions on it. It's been brought up pretty frequently, usually by forum newbies but not always. I don't intend to be critical, I just think it's funny that it surfaces pretty often, and the things that are said about it are pretty similar each time.

"It hurts so good..."
Old 07-28-05, 10:21 PM
gnosbike
Dragons are so stupid.

Bikes: Trek Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check ebay.
Old 07-28-05, 10:25 PM
aadhils
Bike Junkie

Bikes: 2013 Orange Brompton M3L; 2006 Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange); 2022 Surly Cross Check, Black

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
dam is that a schrader valve I see?
Old 07-28-05, 10:31 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Heh the sad part is, put that into the hands of a pro and he'll out ride 90% of us here on that piece of sh1t.

Grip shift on a road bike.. how the hell did they get that on the bars to begin with?
Old 07-28-05, 10:33 PM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I think this is great. All of you making fun of this bike aren't seeing the big picture. Most people buy bikes at Wal-Mart, this is sad but economically most people don't have the money to plunk down 600 dollars for an entry road bike. Becasue of the bikes that are sold at Wal-Mart most people I see riding are on THE BIGGEST PICECES OF SHAT POSSIBLE, huge Y-frame pieces of full suspension garbage that bounce up and down like a pogo stick. Trying to ride on of these is like riding through quicksand. This roadbike is no quality machine, but it will be A WHOLE NEW WORLD of effeciency compared to the standard wal-mart ride.

Now just think most people, especially kids, riding around on these pogo stick bikes may have never experienced a real effecient ride. This road bike could open their eyes, and leave knobby tires and full suspension out in the woods where they belong!
Old 07-28-05, 10:38 PM
mrchristian
Me.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey gpsblake! I read your journal a while ago on how you rode that walmart schwinn across the US...very very impressive (no doubt you are high on my heros list). I seriously think you would be better picking up a used bike for probably less the cost of this thing. I got a schwinn traveler (before the name was sold to Pacific cycles who now just rebadge their bikes with the name) road bike out of my neighbor's dumpster for free and it cost around $30 worth of stuff to get it on the road again (until I accidentally crashed it that is). Compared to this WalMart bike, it was more comfortable since it was made from a good lugged steel (lighter also), has better components (even in the 80's), and VASTLY more reliable. I bet the wheels would perform better also. You can pick up some sweet deals at thirft stores and garage sales. There is a lot of talk of bikes like this in the classic and vintage forum. You'll probably get some more sentimental value out of it too.

I've never toured by any stretch of the imagination, but this is just my opinion of what MIGHT work for you.

Good luck!

B.T.W. I bought my Motobecane Mirage for $320 new off of eBay and i'd easily compare it with any entry level bike in the $600 range. Far more expensive than the Walmart bike, but i'd still say its a possibility.

Last edited by mrchristian; 07-28-05 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-28-05, 10:42 PM
simplyred
Lanterne Rouge

Bikes: Time VX Edge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd buy it for my commute.
But it's 57 cm... awwww.... I'm a 55...
It just doesn't fit the bill - let's see, next possible commuter - Cervelo r2.5 chorus?
I mean... it's not Record, but I think it'll do

Honestly, I think it'd make a decent commuter bike. But I worry about who assembled it - that's all. The bikes @ X-Mart aren't un-rideable; we see people on them everyday. They just don't try a 40 kph sprint - so, on a morning commute I really wouldn't mind this as a beater.
Old 07-28-05, 10:49 PM
clfjmpr44

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gattm99
I think this is great. All of you making fun of this bike aren't seeing the big picture. Most people buy bikes at Wal-Mart, this is sad but economically most people don't have the money to plunk down 600 dollars for an entry road bike. Becasue of the bikes that are sold at Wal-Mart most people I see riding are on THE BIGGEST PICECES OF SHAT POSSIBLE, huge Y-frame pieces of full suspension garbage that bounce up and down like a pogo stick. Trying to ride on of these is like riding through quicksand. This roadbike is no quality machine, but it will be A WHOLE NEW WORLD of effeciency compared to the standard wal-mart ride.

Now just think most people, especially kids, riding around on these pogo stick bikes may have never experienced a real effecient ride. This road bike could open their eyes, and leave knobby tires and full suspension out in the woods where they belong!
Real strong point Gatt, you really nailed it on the head with this one. All of the day-laborers in my area are pushing around these "NEXT" brand mountain bikes on the sidewalks, they have to weigh a good 30+ lbs. Now that there is a real economy road bike, -- I think Twahl (although I love a lot of his posts) is pulling our leg about the walmart road bike being an old repeated post -- I think these guys are going to find the going a whole lot easier. Good for Walmart!
In addition, people who can't afford the $550 to $600 new-road-bike-entry point, might buy one of these and discover their passion. More cyclists is a good thing in my opinion.
A
Old 07-28-05, 10:52 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

mrchristian,

Thanks for reading the journal and thanks for the advice. I'm not a big fan of road bikes mainly because I like a smooth ride. When I was younger, I had a nice Raleigh road bike when I was in England.

Just this thing caught my eye and if I see one at Walmart, I might buy it and try it (after I check it to make sure it is assembled properly) by taking it for a 50 mile spin then returning it. Maybe it's me but I rarely see a real road bike at the thrift stores here in South Carolina. If I saw a Trek/Giant for 40 bucks at one, I probably buy it as a project.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.