Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Choosing a Niner RLT Steel

Old 07-09-20, 10:32 AM
cemark

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Choosing a Niner RLT Steel

Hey,
I sold my Cannondale Synapse to buy a gravel bike and I have been struggling to decide whether to buy Merida Silex carbon or Niner RLT steel.
I sold my previous bike because I need something more upright/comfortable as I have bulged disc and it hurts my back and neck when i lean forward too much.
Problem is both of these bikes $600 above my budget and there are almost no second hand options around me. Brand new 3 star (Shimano 105) 2019 RLT steel is $2900 in where i live, I prefer buying second hand but could only find two second hand Niner RLT steel version.
Blue one has ultegra groupset and within my budget but there is a big smudge on the headtube and couple of chips on the frame. By looking at the pictures do you think that there is only cosmetic issues and it worths to buy it or should i just keep on looking? By the way seller asked $2100 for this one.
Orange one is still over my budget but i may persuade the seller for a discount. Its setback is a little bit of smudge on the headtube and mechanical disc brakes, Price is $3100.

By the way i dont know from which year both bikes are. Does it really matter whether they are from 2017 or 2015. Frameset wise there isnt any change besides tire clearance as i know.

Last edited by cemark; 07-11-20 at 04:01 AM.
Old 07-11-20, 06:14 AM
cemark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone?
Old 07-11-20, 08:59 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I was going to suggest a brand new Norco search xr 105 for 2100, but their all sold out. Maybe there is a dealer that has stock in your area?
Old 07-11-20, 10:38 AM
cemark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It has the same geometry as my previous bike. I need the stack as high as possible with the shortest reach as it gets. But still that Norco looks really nice.
Old 07-11-20, 08:49 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Also look at Jamis Renegade, and Carbon Giant Revolt and Salsa Warbird, all great bikes that may work for you. If it is used and reasonably priced it probably will disappear in a day or two as FYI wiyh the high bike demand right now... What size do you need? That American Classic wheelset is excellent by the way and a keeper if it is not too beaten up.
Old 07-12-20, 12:57 AM
cemark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I checked with Jamis in my country but they dont have Renegade. I was interested in Giant Revolt too but there is only Revolt 1 here which is made of aluminum. No one even import Salsa here either. I guess there isn't much of an option besides Merida Silex and Niner Rlt in where i live. Specialized Diverge is way to expensive. Willier Tristina is over my budget. I have been checking the websites everyday to see whether there will be a deal or something but as you said lack of stock and high demand makes finding a bike with a affordable price pretty difficult. If i end up buying that second hand blue Niner Rlt i will take the The American Classic wheelset (seller offers one of those three)

Last edited by cemark; 07-12-20 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-12-20, 05:28 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Silex has a very good front end height for a carbon frame however it has a long reach.

Blue Prosecco EX/SP carbon also has a good height but with a pretty short reach.

You need to compare the frame stack and reach of any bike you look at against the Synapse.
Old 07-12-20, 11:10 AM
cemark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Today I had a bikefitting which took only 1.5, i was expecting more, and ended up with these results .
375-395 reach
563-590 stack
420 handlebar
170 crank length.

I tried silex 7000 xs and felt really comfortable. Unfortunately over my budget. Thanks to corona none of the shops are willing to do any discount. I dont want to miss the cycling season. Eeather is amazing now and its killing me not to have a bicycle to cycle for hours but cant go over $2600. I guess i shouldnt have sold my bicycle.
Old 07-12-20, 04:37 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Stack and reach on the XS Silex is 588/380.

Trek Checkpoint 56cm is 586/387.

Ribble CGR-SL in Large is 592/389.

Dolan GXC 56cm is 592/379.

Tifosi Cavazzo carbon Large is 590/385.

Accent Feral carbon Medium is 598/379. (Has a long 450mm chainstay).

Planet-X Free Ranger carbon in L/56cm is 589/384.

On all these bikes you'd need to check the frame standover against your cycling inseam.

Last edited by tangerineowl; 07-12-20 at 04:41 PM. Reason: txt
Old 07-13-20, 01:16 AM
cemark

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If i was living in States i would go with Ribble no matter what but I have so limited options with exaggerated prices in where I live. We have only Merida Silex ($3350 Ultegra Carbon), Niner RLT Steel($2900 3 star 105) or Checkpoint ($4750).
Thanks to my low budget my hands are tied and have been trying to find a second hand one but only think that i found one is the blue Niner that i post at the first message. Geometry wise its perfect for me. It has Ultegra groupset, American Classic wheelset, Brooks saddle. BUT framesey has smudges and scratches. If i wasnt such a neat freak i would go for it.