Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIb

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIb

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-19, 01:19 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Speaking of eagles, we haven’t seen a decent eagle post lately. Slacking.
They did beat the Giants, right? Any chance to make it to the post-season??
Old 12-13-19, 01:25 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
They did beat the Giants, right? Any chance to make it to the post-season??
Someone from the NFC East has to... unfortunately.
Old 12-13-19, 01:37 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Howdy, runner.
That's an ironic tag at this point, but I'll leave it there. This year is already a recorrd for actual miles ridden (no trainer) and duration (counting trainer). Miles run are down by a third over marathon training, which is causing issues on certain occasions.

Are you coming back? Or was this just a drive-by?? We miss you too!
I don't know.
Old 12-13-19, 01:49 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Is it them or the squid that have the humongous neurons? I think it's squid, right??
That’s right, squid are famous for their “giant axons,” but lots of other invertebrates have big axons to make up for junky myelin.
Old 12-13-19, 03:39 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11954 Post(s)
Liked 6,611 Times in 3,469 Posts
They did beat the Giants, right??
Which isn’t anything to boast about this year, the sad Giants’ record is 2 and 9, and . . . . . oh hi Hummer, I didn’t see you there.
Old 12-13-19, 03:56 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Which isn’t anything to boast about this year, the sad Giants’ record is 2 and 9, and . . . . . oh hi Hummer, I didn’t see you there.
That sounds distinctly like something that's not my problem.

In other news, all boats suck and the seas are filled with monsters and demons. I don't know why it matters what powers the boat when all the horrors of imagination lurk below the surface.
Old 12-13-19, 04:24 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
That sounds distinctly like something that's not my problem.

In other news, all boats suck and the seas are filled with monsters and demons. I don't know why it matters what powers the boat when all the horrors of imagination lurk below the surface.
What happened??
Old 12-13-19, 04:38 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

What happened??
The "object of lust" thread went off the rails. One of the things I liked about Colorado was how the ocean was over a thousand miles away in any direction.

The last time I actually went to Maine I took a shot at swimming around the island, which is perhaps a mile and a bit around. Got in, got a few dozen yards from the dock, thought of all my million slimy tentacled friends in that water, got back like

Old 12-13-19, 05:01 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

One of my patients gave me a really cool blanket. Even Jackie likes it.

Likes For datlas:
Old 12-13-19, 05:20 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
"Running With Sherman", a new book by Christopher McDougall, the man who wrote "Born To Run" about the Tarahumara of Mexico who run major distances wearing huarachas, the home made sandals made of automobile tires and who wiped out the field in their first showing at the Leadville 100.

In the new (fun) book, McDougall is living on a farm in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, right in the middle of Amish country when he is talked into taking care of a rescue donkey that has been very badly treated. The upshot of the donkey's recovery is he begins running with the donkey and then gets the idea of running in a donkey race in Fairplay, Colorado of about 26 miles, up a mountain and back down. Somehow, due to the mysterious workings of the universe, he ends up with several other donkeys.

In the meantime, his Amish neiighbors have also taken up running and have a club called, in some sort of Pennsylvania Dutch or a fractured German, Vela Shpringa Running Club. For the Amish, community is of prime importance so if they can all run together and afterwards sit to a fine big meal this is a good enough reason to go running, with or without a donkey. There are several threads like this woven together that make it a fun book but there is more.

For the race itself in Colorado, there is no qualifying event or entry fee. The only requirement is two runners, one of which must be a donkey. The event draws hundreds of people, and quite a few donkeys. Since it is a marathon distance, to keep the "fans" who are not racing amused, the town holds a privy race and the less said about this the better. This may well be the reason the event has not made The Wide World of Sports.

Running up a mountain in Colorado, at 10,000 feet, is difficult enough but donkeys are known to be opinionated creatures who can decide on their own, how far and how fast to run and whether to run at all. Typically, the handler has a 15 foot lead rope and is positioned near a rear flank. This is so that, as the donkey in in the lead, he will believe running up the mountain is his idea. Some donkeys spook easily and have been known to drag their handler down the mountain causing considerable loss of skin. In this respect, donkey racing is much like riding a bike. (Had to get this cycling tie-in or be banished from Bike Forums)

While this is a very fun book, I hope readers will not rush out all at once to buy a donkey. That will just drive their price up.
Likes For berner:
Old 12-13-19, 05:55 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
"Running With Sherman", a new book by Christopher McDougall, the man who wrote "Born To Run" about the Tarahumara of Mexico who run major distances wearing huarachas, the home made sandals made of automobile tires and who wiped out the field in their first showing at the Leadville 100.

In the new (fun) book, McDougall is living on a farm in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, right in the middle of Amish country when he is talked into taking care of a rescue donkey that has been very badly treated. The upshot of the donkey's recovery is he begins running with the donkey and then gets the idea of running in a donkey race in Fairplay, Colorado of about 26 miles, up a mountain and back down. Somehow, due to the mysterious workings of the universe, he ends up with several other donkeys.

In the meantime, his Amish neiighbors have also taken up running and have a club called, in some sort of Pennsylvania Dutch or a fractured German, Vela Shpringa Running Club. For the Amish, community is of prime importance so if they can all run together and afterwards sit to a fine big meal this is a good enough reason to go running, with or without a donkey. There are several threads like this woven together that make it a fun book but there is more.

For the race itself in Colorado, there is no qualifying event or entry fee. The only requirement is two runners, one of which must be a donkey. The event draws hundreds of people, and quite a few donkeys. Since it is a marathon distance, to keep the "fans" who are not racing amused, the town holds a privy race and the less said about this the better. This may well be the reason the event has not made The Wide World of Sports.

Running up a mountain in Colorado, at 10,000 feet, is difficult enough but donkeys are known to be opinionated creatures who can decide on their own, how far and how fast to run and whether to run at all. Typically, the handler has a 15 foot lead rope and is positioned near a rear flank. This is so that, as the donkey in in the lead, he will believe running up the mountain is his idea. Some donkeys spook easily and have been known to drag their handler down the mountain causing considerable loss of skin. In this respect, donkey racing is much like riding a bike. (Had to get this cycling tie-in or be banished from Bike Forums)

While this is a very fun book, I hope readers will not rush out all at once to buy a donkey. That will just drive their price up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86xJ...?v=86xJkoSp9jk
I thought that guy ran off into the desert, some years ago, and has yet to return.

Old 12-13-19, 05:57 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I've bought 3-4 sets of wheels from Velomine. Lots of budget yet still quality alloy options, at least the last time I looked.
Velomine generally has track and fixie stuff and is my local Campy store, also!

Old 12-13-19, 07:03 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
The "object of lust" thread went off the rails. One of the things I liked about Colorado was how the ocean was over a thousand miles away in any direction.

The last time I actually went to Maine I took a shot at swimming around the island, which is perhaps a mile and a bit around. Got in, got a few dozen yards from the dock, thought of all my million slimy tentacled friends in that water, got back like

Old 12-13-19, 09:18 PM
BillyD
Administrator

I have a wheels question: what's the deal with the spacing spec, e.g. 100mm, 120mm? Is that the space between the dropouts?

Last time I bought wheels I don't remember spacing being a concern.
Old 12-13-19, 10:07 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
I have a wheels question: what's the deal with the spacing spec, e.g. 100mm, 120mm? Is that the space between the dropouts?

Last time I bought wheels I don't remember spacing being a concern.
Yep. Newer road bikes are 130 in the rear, 100 in the front. That's where cold set came into play, because older bikes were 126(?) and fitting a newer 8 speed and above drivetrain to an older bike meant spreading the rear drop outs. All from memory, but close, I think.
Old 12-14-19, 04:24 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by LAJ
Yep. Newer road bikes are 130 in the rear, 100 in the front. That's where cold set came into play, because older bikes were 126(?) and fitting a newer 8 speed and above drivetrain to an older bike meant spreading the rear drop outs. All from memory, but close, I think.
Yes, but for SS rear it may be 120 (or rarely 110). You need to ask the kid if the frame is designed for SS (likely 120) or if it’s a road bike conversion. Or just measure.
Old 12-14-19, 04:26 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

There is a no-rain window this morning so I will ride. All my friends are still sleeping, so it will be solo. Solo outside still better than Zwift. Maybe.
Old 12-14-19, 05:57 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
All true, but it should be noted that cold setting was even more a thing for the switch from standard spaced 5-speed and narrow 6-speed freewheels to 7-speed or IOW 120 to 126mm. That's because the frames were almost all standard diameter malleable steel then and could be modified that way safely. By the time of the 126-130mm conversion there were already a lot of bikes that wouldn't respond well to cold setting, AKA bending, like those made from aluminum and oversized, heat treated steel tubing. So not everyone could upgrade their 126mm RDO bike to 130. I had one of the original Trek glued aluminum frames (the first of the "2000" models in the original cream color with wine colored decals) and just decided to sell it when the 126-130mm changeover took place.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 12-14-19, 07:33 AM
BillyD
Administrator

So the wheel spacing has to be exact? So if these wheels are 100 front and 120 rear how much, if any, dropouts spacing play is allowable? Do the dropouts have to be exactly that?

Because wheelsets are not returnable so I got to be sure. (I'm looking at some Miche Pistard wheels from Retrogression.)
Old 12-14-19, 08:12 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
So the wheel spacing has to be exact? So if these wheels are 100 front and 120 rear how much, if any, dropouts spacing play is allowable? Do the dropouts have to be exactly that?

Because wheelsets are not returnable so I got to be sure. (I'm looking at some Miche Pistard wheels from Retrogression.)
IME, there is always an opportunity to add/remove spacers on the axle. That said, all my bikes are still 126 spaced steel. I can't really speak to modern wheels but would be surprised if that were no longer the case.
Especially on a fixie.

Last edited by seedsbelize; 12-14-19 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-14-19, 08:41 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts

Dropouts don't have to be exact but a 120 rear wheel in a 130 frame is not so good. If his frame has rear facing rear dropouts it's probably 120mm.

If forward facing dropouts like and olde road frame, they could be 126 or 130 or if really olde, 120. Some companies even specced 128mm dropouts during the 126-130 transition years.
Old 12-14-19, 08:49 AM
BillyD
Administrator

The dropouts are 120 both ends it seems, so the rear wheel will be perfect. The front wheel will be 100 so spacers will work, right?
Old 12-14-19, 08:53 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12740 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
The dropouts are 120 both ends it seems, so the rear wheel will be perfect. The front wheel will be 100 so spacers will work, right?
That is odd. I don't think I've ever seen a 120mm front spacing. Just 100, and 110 on MTBs, and 135 on fat/plus bikes (where you also have to deal with what the rotor spacing is (front style or rear style)

BUT, most standard nutted front axles I've seen are long enough to handle a 5mm spacer on either side should the need arise.
Old 12-14-19, 09:10 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I had an interesting ride. I left before dawn, in total darkness/fog. I used my Magicshine Clone light which worked quite well. I rode the two trails in my area, and for the most part they were deserted on the way out.

At the halfway/turnaround spot, my stupid chain broke. It's partly my own fault, when I put the new chain on the SS I made it a couple links too short, so I had to add 2 links using the native pins, old-school style, which I know is not recommended for modern chains. Still, I figured with my pitiful power output, that would work. Not.

So I pull over to the side and figure I will fix this easy. I always carry a quick-link in my saddle bag. I try to pop on the quick link. No bueno. The SS chain takes a wider pin than my 10s quick link. Crap! I try to force it. No. And although I have the quick link, I don't have a chain tool. Sad! I prepare to make the call of shame.

One last chance, I remove the roller from the inner plates on each end, and try to connect the quick link with adjacent link using only ONE plate (and making sure loose plate is facing OUTSIDE of drivetrain. It works! It clicks a little, but it worked. I was very careful not to over-torque my drivetrain on the way home, and even stopped twice to walk up a steep section for fear of breakage. But it did work.

On the way back, it was light out so I did see some walkers/runners, and even a few "serious" cyclists. The weather was wet and drizzly and cold. My so-called waterproof gloves got waterlogged and cold by the end, but I am still pleased with the ride. Way better than Zwift.

Hey @indyfabz I noted a few items on the SRT between VF and Manayunk. In general, most of the pavement is fresh and smooth, very nice! But I also distinctly recall a free water station between Norristown and VF which I used a few months ago, and I did not see it today. Sad! Do you know if they take it down for winter??
Old 12-14-19, 09:16 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Pic of Macguyver chain fix. I know it’s blurry but I think you see what I did there...

Likes For datlas:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.