Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Custom lamps system with detachable battery box

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 12-20-19, 03:21 PM
robalong
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts

uyhgfdxz

Last edited by robalong; 05-16-23 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Punct,uation correction
Old 12-20-19, 03:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...hting-gadgets/
Old 12-21-19, 08:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
robalong , you might ask a moderator to move this thread to the Electronics and Lighting subforum. You might get more responses there.
Old 12-23-19, 04:34 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Well, each to their own, of course. But nowadays there are so many really good, completely self-contained, rechargeable lights that will go for hours between charges that what you are proposing seems like a lot of work for no appreciable gain. If you were thinking about really powerful lights for seeing with it might be another matter. My Cateye Rapid rear light runs for two weeks or more of my commute, amounting to around 10 hours per week. My front light is a very beefy one so only does two days but I'm sure you could find a front 'flasher' that would last a similar time and be almost as compact as the Rapid.

If you're determined to go ahead with your scheme there are some very neat solutions for that too. One I've seen involves feeding cable up the steerer tube and replacing the cap on the steerer with one that includes a USB socket, so you plug your light into the USB socket. I guess it's probably designed for a dynamo as feeding a cable from the saddle would involve going down through the bottom bracket and then coming out under the down tube. Very hidden, though.
Likes For jgwilliams:
Old 12-23-19, 06:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,287 Times in 7,226 Posts
I feel it's my civic duty to elaborate on the above. This is a mere 500 lumens in total darkness on a wooded trail. USB rechargeable. Lasts for an extremely long time on flash mode. Also has two steady brightnesses. The giant porcupine heading towards me just before I snapped the photo was able to see me and veer off into the woods.

Old 12-25-19, 05:33 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 33 Posts
Looking at the web site, it lacks any electrical details/specifications that one would help determine its suitability for OP's plan for battery charging. The lamp and "dynamo" are integrated. Attempting to tap into one of these units to run wires and reworking the case to be weatherproof again would be very difficult without possibly ruining the unit.