Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-20, 01:54 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
Lots of AMCs in my family history, Dad had a '40s blue Nash, Grampa had a '55 two tone green Bathtub Nash, my dad also had a bronze, black vinyl top, fastback Matador, and my wife's cousin had a green Gremlin, none on the road now as far as I know. Nothing out today except a `65 Barracuda at the sidewalk library. When did you last see a glassback Barracuda? Not an official entry, but the thread has been pretty quiet for awhile.

Yellow one, way in the back. Sorry for the poor picture quality, besides being off topic.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 02-01-20, 07:40 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Straggler entry for the steep grade sign.

This is part of a ~700' climb that dead-ends at the beach, so has to be done both ways. 6,500' for the day.

Likes For woodcraft:
Old 02-02-20, 06:30 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Right era, wrong marque.

I’ve seen a couple of minis, one 500, but old is exceedingly rare here.

-mr. bill
Old 02-02-20, 12:44 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Tawny Beige Hornet (NOT AN ENTRY)

Originally Posted by 3S1M
Is it yellow? Would love to see a hornet wagon.

The owner told me the color is tawny beige.

This is not an entry (no bike and posted by requestor), but trying to brighten 3S1M's day.

Also I saw a white 2-door mid-sixties Chevelle on the way.
Old 02-02-20, 07:17 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Also I saw a white 2-door mid-sixties Chevelle on the way.
I think posting the unusual will have to do when a requestor assigns a mission impossible (for most posters) task.

How 'bout KingRat, a real wackadoodle rig? Check out the hood ornaments and other weird attachments:
Old 02-03-20, 07:58 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
^^^^
Coolest truck evah!

Old 02-03-20, 08:39 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Adding Jeep and Lada Niva (4x4) to mission

I really didn’t think this mission would be this difficult. Jeep was a AMC mark and Niva is an eastern hemisphere equivalent. Both are pretty common and still manufactured.

Last edited by flangehead; 02-03-20 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 02-03-20, 08:42 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Well you see, this is California. I can go an entire day and see maybe one car from even the 90s. Probably 80% of the cars on the road here are less than 10 years old. Classics? Well, if it's a nice clear weekend, or the Route 66 Rendezvous is approaching. But otherwise... might see a crappy pickup.
Old 02-03-20, 09:31 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
I really didn’t think this mission would be this difficult. Jeep was a AMC mark and Niva is an eastern hemisphere equivalent. Both are pretty common.
Now we're talking. Niva is still pretty common here, as opposed to old Dacias and Trabants, so I'll try to find one. In fact it seems that few of the communist-made cars were exported to other communist countries than where thy were made; we had all the USSR made cars, plus a few Polish Fiats, Škodas and Wartburgs, and that was pretty much it. Trabant wasn't exactly a desired car, as there were more easily acessible and arguably slightly better equivalents in the USSR. I guess the main factor was the availability of spare parts - most of those cars needed a lot of maintenance.

That said, if no models are specified, Jeep might be even easier to find than a Niva.
Old 02-03-20, 09:34 AM
flangehead

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Well you see, this is California. I can go an entire day and see maybe one car from even the 90s.
Very different in my neck of the woods. I won’t say pre-90’s are common, but they certainly aren’t unusual. There’s a restored 60’s Cougar I see driving around, lotsa original Beetles, El Camino all jump to mind.
Old 02-03-20, 09:43 AM
flangehead

Any Jeep model accepted

Originally Posted by subgrade
....In fact it seems that few of the communist-made cars were exported to other communist countries than where thy were made.....

That said, if no models are specified, Jeep might be even easier to find than a Niva.
Bonus point still available for out-of-hemisphere.

I got familiar with Lada in Bolivia. Quite a few there.
Old 02-03-20, 11:36 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Any Jeep model accepted

Bonus point still available for out-of-hemisphere.

I got familiar with Lada in Bolivia. Quite a few there.

NOT AN OFFICIAL ENTRY

I own a Jeep, work at a Jeep dealer, and currently have my bike on a rack on the back of my Jeep. I plan on riding after work so if nobody claims it by then I'll do so.

Old 02-03-20, 12:57 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Gremlins, my parents took a trip cross country from Kenosha, WI to California in a Gremlin. Was our car when I was like 1 year old. So no, A/C, through the desert, 2 adults, 1 baby, 1 toddler and 1 cousin babysitter. Must’ve been real fun….

had a feeling a rolling AMC on the street would be hard to find. They’re almost non existent around here and this is AMC territory.

Now Jeeps on the other hand…….. All over the place. Should be a relatively easy one to grab for anyone.

Thanks for the pick me up!!!!!

Here’s the Rambler my buddy fixed up and is selling this spring.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 02-03-20, 01:33 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

I really didn’t think this mission would be this difficult. Jeep was a AMC mark and Niva is an eastern hemisphere equivalent. Both are pretty common and still manufactured.
There's got to be plenty of AMC made Jeeps around here somewhere. I drove my dad's late '70s CJ5 in the late '80s for a month while waiting on the insurance company to pay me for a stolen '85 GPz 550. That CJ5 had a V-8 engine, 3 speed stick, and a short wheelbase. Ton's of fun and a gas freakin' guzzler compared to my street motorcycles I had at the time.
Old 02-03-20, 03:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Now Jeeps on the other hand…….. All over the place. Should be a relatively easy one to grab for anyone.
Originally Posted by FiftySix
There's got to be plenty of AMC made Jeeps around here somewhere.
Not those made by AMC.
Old 02-03-20, 07:18 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Not those made by AMC.
You're right, I'm having a real hard time finding AMC era Jeeps sitting outside in any condition.
Old 02-04-20, 07:51 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
NOT AN OFFICIAL ENTRY

I own a Jeep, work at a Jeep dealer, and currently have my bike on a rack on the back of my Jeep. I plan on riding after work so if nobody claims it by then I'll do so.

Couldn't do it, it felt like cheating. The oldest oldest Jeep on our lot was a 1998. AMC was purchased by Chrysler in 1987. So, we continue on.

I think the current mission is actually pretty fun. I've been out twice looking for old cars. Which to me seems like the intent of this game. Get out and ride, look around, enjoy your surroundings.

I was hoping my Sister was visiting my Mom last night. She drives an 87 Jeep Cherokee. No luck. I'll keep looking.
Likes For Bryan C.:
Old 02-04-20, 10:49 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

To me, Flangehead was not specific about it having to be an AMC made Jeep. Or am I missing something. He just said "Adding Jeep". And after that he said, "Any Jeep Model accepted". Most of you guys probably could've got a lot better picture than me.... Sheeez.

So I got one. And it's a terrible picture but it's a Jeep Renegade. I guess we have to let Flangehead decide. My entry is not really good cuz I ride at night and not a lot of light but it's for sure a Jeep Renegade. Which is a cool looking little SUV. The rear of it is to the left of the RV. You can't see it in my pic but I like how those Renegades have the little X's in their tail lights.

If mine stands, the new mission is a Department of Public works vehicle, crew or barrier. But is has to be marked with whatever's town marking. Can't be contractors working somewhere. It's got a be a City's equipment. Like for example, our stuff is marked CUD. LOL. Caledonia Utility District. I meeeeeeaaaaaan. What an acronym. LOL.

So Flangehead, you gotta make the call..... If you are around........ But to me it looks like he was clear about "any".

Last edited by 3S1M; 02-04-20 at 10:55 AM.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 02-04-20, 11:00 AM
flangehead

Jeep and new mission accepted

...So Flangehead, you gotta make the call..... If you are around........ But to me it looks like he was clear about "any"....

the new mission is a Department of Public works vehicle, crew or barrier. But is has to be marked with whatever's town marking. Can't be contractors working somewhere. It's got a be a City's equipment. Like for example, our stuff is marked CUD. LOL. Caledonia Utility District.
Accepted. Thanks for putting this one out of its misery. I'll have to use a Uber cycle but I'll try to find a City of Denver item...

(I'm sympathetic on bad night photos.. that's usually what I submit...)

Last edited by flangehead; 02-04-20 at 11:09 AM. Reason: oops new mission was identified.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 02-04-20, 11:08 AM
3S1M

OK, so if my Mission wasn't clear it's a Department of Public works in your town or whatever towns your ride through, their vehicle, crew, road barrier of some sort with the town's marking on it visible. If it just says DPW (Dept of Public Works), that's a good enough. Maybe just share with us what town it was in. Like I said, the stuff in our town is marked CUD, for Caledonia Utility District. LOL. Curious as to what other peoples are......

At this point contractors independent of the town are out. But after 36 hours I will accept ANY and all vehicles or things by any and all workers / contractors working somewhere. HVAC guys, electricians, plumbers. You get the point. As long as you get a pic of the marking on their vehicle or shirt or whatever.

It has been brought to my attention that some of us are complicating this thread a bit and it's hard to follow missions. I'm not sure what to do about that but maybe we can try to be real clear about or missions somehow. I don't particularly mind side talk and pics because I really appreciate all the participation!!!!!! But I suppose some of us might be making the thread kind of hard to follow and I'm probably the most guilty. So I apologize for that. I'm not sure what to say other than I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and I hope enough people have too to keep it going. And I'm sorry to those who have been frustrated with figuring out the missions.....

I personally would rather not get real heavy handed with rules and such and like the organicness of it all. BUT, maybe we can all try to be more clear about what the current mission is. Somehow.....

Last edited by 3S1M; 02-04-20 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-04-20, 11:11 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
OK, so if my Mission wasn't clear it's a Department of Public works in your town or whatever towns your ride through, their vehicle, crew, road barrier of some sort with the town's marking on it visible. If it just says DPW (Dept of Public Works), that's a good enough. Maybe just share with us what town it was in. Like I said, the stuff in our town is marked CUD, for Caledonia Utility District. LOL. Curious as to what other peoples are......

At this point contractors independent of the town are out. But after 36 hours I will accept ANY and all vehicles or things by any and all workers / contractors working somewhere. HVAC guys, electricians, plumbers. You get the point. As long as you get a pic of the marking on their vehicle or shirt or whatever.

But city and not state, right? No state DOT vehicles.
Old 02-04-20, 12:03 PM
3S1M

Yeah, I was hoping for the city. But good point. After the 36 hours state vehicles / equipment / etc. will be allowed with the "any and all contractors" bit.

And it doesn't have to be a "City". Town, village, or whatever other official names there are for thriving and unthriving metroplosis' is fine. Metroplii? Not sure what the plural is for that word. LOL.
Old 02-05-20, 11:49 AM
3S1M

If nothing after 48 hours I will open the mission up to any type of commercial vehicle, barrier, vest patch ,etc of any company of any type. Delivery trucks like Amazon, etc. Something with a company name on it.

Nobody is near an DPW stuff eh? I guess it's winter and there may be less city construction going on. Should've waited til summer for that one. Thought maybe someone catch an inspector or something.....
Old 02-05-20, 12:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
If nothing after 48 hours I will open the mission up to any type of commercial vehicle, barrier, vest patch ,etc of any company of any type. Delivery trucks like Amazon, etc. Something with a company name on it.

Nobody is near an DPW stuff eh? I guess it's winter and there may be less city construction going on. Should've waited til summer for that one. Thought maybe someone catch an inspector or something.....

In these climes, about the only DPW we'd see this time of year would be a snow plow.
Old 02-05-20, 05:23 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
How about an LA City Street Lighting truck? I saw this on today's ride, I didn't cross 4 lanes to lean my bike against the truck, but found a convenient fire hydrant.

Likes For Slightspeed:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.