Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mixing Campagnolo components

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-20, 05:26 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts

Hello everyone and sorry for the naive question. But I am thinking of buying frame and building up the bike with Campagnolo components. I have done MTBs for a long time but never actually built up a road bike.

The question I have is that I was going to use Campagnolo H11 shifters and brake calipers (disk). But I thought I could save some cash by using an 11 speed Centaur front derailleur with a Potenza Disc brake specific Crankset (I don't know if I need this), a Potenza medium cage rear derailleur, an Ultegra 11-32 cassette (cheaper and lighter) and a SRAM 11 speed chain. I know, some mixing and matching but it should work, right?

Thanks again and be gentle!
Old 06-05-20, 06:27 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Shimano sprocket spacing is close to Campy, but not the same, so you won't get the full experience. Be sure that the RD can handle an 11-32.

I'm not a fan of Campy shifters, below the Chorus level.

The Chorus 12 group is much better and has an 11-29, 11-32, or 11-34 cassettes. I switched two bikes over to it last July. To me, it's well worth the $1060 that I paid for each rim brake group. I bought from pinkjersey.com. The disc brake version does add a lot to the cost.

I see the chorus 12 disc group for $1400 at Texas cyclesport. That's $220 more than potenza and well worth it.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 06-05-20 at 06:49 AM.
Old 06-05-20, 06:46 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
How is a crankset "disc brake specific"?
Old 06-05-20, 07:58 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Different chainline to account for the wider spacing on disc wheels
Old 06-05-20, 08:14 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Shimano sprocket spacing is close to Campy, but not the same, so you won't get the full experience. Be sure that the RD can handle an 11-32.

The Chorus 12 group is much better and has an 11-29, 11-32, or 11-34 cassettes. I switched two bikes over to it last July. To me, it's well worth the $1060 that I paid for each rim brake group. I bought from pinkjersey.com. The disc brake version does add a lot to the cost.

I see the chorus 12 disc group for $1400 at Texas cyclesport. That's $220 more than potenza and well worth it.
The 12 speed was just too much of a price jump for the disk version. I should mention the H11 shifters are carbon and a step above the Potenza shifters (carbon blade). The big question I have now is if the Centaur front derailleur will work. Not sure why it would not. Two rings are two rings. Right? I did get the medium cage derailleur so it should work.

Originally Posted by HillRider
They make some claim that the crankset is optimized for the 142 rear end. Not sure how much I believe that.
Old 06-05-20, 08:42 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Hello everyone and sorry for the naive question. But I am thinking of buying frame and building up the bike with Campagnolo components. I have done MTBs for a long time but never actually built up a road bike.

The question I have is that I was going to use Campagnolo H11 shifters and brake calipers (disk). But I thought I could save some cash by using an 11 speed Centaur front derailleur with a Potenza Disc brake specific Crankset (I don't know if I need this), a Potenza medium cage rear derailleur, an Ultegra 11-32 cassette (cheaper and lighter) and a SRAM 11 speed chain. I know, some mixing and matching but it should work, right?

IIRC the disc-specific cranks shift the chainline out (to the right) by 4.5mm to accommodate the wider dropout spacing (and the consequent shift of the cassette further from the centerline of the frame) of disc-specific frames. It's not a huge difference, but if you use a standard crankset, you might see some issues, particularly when on the smaller sprockets - maybe some rubbing when on small:small
Old 06-05-20, 09:53 AM
Litespud

Originally Posted by vespasianus

IIRC the disc-specific cranks shift the chainline out (to the right) by 4.5mm to accommodate the wider dropout spacing (and the consequent shift of the cassette further from the centerline of the frame) of disc-specific frames. It's not a huge difference, but if you use a standard crankset, you might see some issues, particularly when on the smaller sprockets - maybe some rubbing when on small:small
Old 06-05-20, 10:00 AM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Don't you just miss the good ol' days of calling up Phil Wood and telling them you need a wider BB on the drive side instead of changing out cranks...
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 06-05-20, 11:54 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3948 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
H11 is Record / Super record level.

Originally Posted by Litespud
The figure that's usually tossed around is 2.5mm, but even that seems to be an urban legend. A Campagnolo factory rep on the Weight Weenies forum says the inner chain is shifted outwards 0.2mm and the outer chain ring is shifted outwards 1.0mm.

I have three H11 setups – two with H11 cranks and one with a standard Campy (5 arm) crank. There's no noticeable difference in the shifting, and no rubbing with the standard crank.
Old 06-05-20, 12:21 PM
DaveSSS 

A centaur fd would not be made for the wider spacing of a disc crank. The fd is one of the chaper parts. There can't be much money to be saved.
Old 06-05-20, 01:19 PM
Litespud

Originally Posted by tomato coupe

The figure that's usually tossed around is 2.5mm, but even that seems to be an urban legend. A Campagnolo factory rep on the Weight Weenies forum says the inner chain is shifted outwards 0.2mm and the outer chain ring is shifted outwards 1.0mm.

I have three H11 setups – two with H11 cranks and one with a standard Campy (5 arm) crank. There's no noticeable difference in the shifting, and no rubbing with the standard crank.
Yeah, I don't know where I came up with the 4.5mm number. I've been hunting around the interwebz looking for a specific crankset and I thought I came across a discussion addressing this - could've misremembered - or imagined it . A quick look just now has some publications stating 2.5mm, which is based on the logic that if the rear dropout spacing is 5mm larger, the cassette must shift 2.5mm out, so the crankset must shift by the same amount. Makes sense, but pure speculation, as Campagnolo themselves aren't saying anything. As your experience suggests, it likely makes no difference except it gives Campagnolo an opportunity to sell you more stuff
Old 06-05-20, 02:03 PM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by tomato coupe

Thanks. I think the centaur 11 speed crank would be fine with a 142 rear end.
Old 06-05-20, 02:03 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
Don't you just miss the good ol' days of calling up Phil Wood and telling them you need a wider BB on the drive side instead of changing out cranks...
You still can: "Custom spindle lengths and cartridge widths are available upon special request."
https://phil-wood-co.myshopify.com/c...ottom-brackets
Old 06-05-20, 04:38 PM
DaveSSS 

Try the pace line forum. There is one long time campy expert who knows just about everything. https://forums.thepaceline.net/
Old 06-05-20, 05:23 PM
vespasianus

Try the pace line forum. There is one long time campy expert who knows just about everything
OK. I will cross post there as well. Thanks. Got lots of good information here so am feeling much better.

Last edited by vespasianus; 06-05-20 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-05-20, 05:25 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IDK is the crank spindle fixed to the crank arm? the new external bearing stuff is..

I believe Potenza is on the lower end of Campag's price range .. of late..

can you refer to web page links on all of those components & Campag part numbers?

cut on the blind guessing, 20 questions approach..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-05-20 at 05:28 PM.