Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is Everything Out of Stock?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Is Everything Out of Stock?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-20, 10:53 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Like others in this thread I've been working at a local shop thanks to the Covid disruption, and it's quite strange - our sales floor is nearly empty except for a handful of $1200+ road bikes and a couple of other things that are pricey, niche, or just big enough that there's not many people tall enough to ride them. 26" Schrader tubes are out and we're short on a couple of other sizes, there are no more water bottles, no bottle cages, and there's quite a long list of things we're getting short on. I'm a little worried that we're going to hit a bottleneck at some point because we've run out of something critical like shift cables or chain lube, which would be a real mess since we're heavily booked up on service.

That said, the current boom seems pretty narrow in it's focus: the things that are selling like hotcakes are the items that allow casual riders to take recreational rides on fair weather days during daylight hours - but there's been no obvious uptick (over the usual seasonal boost) in demand for lights, racks, fenders, high-end racing parts, vintage parts, or really anything that appeals only to those of us who are already cycling enthusiasts.
Old 06-11-20, 07:02 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
Ebay, and be persistant.

What is the actual reach?
As measured: Front 61mm, Rear 70mm.

There might be some old center pulls that will reach, but I really don't like those. I see that I am not the only one having difficulty finding stuff. Bought some new bar tape at my LBS yesterday and picking was slim. $30 is a little pricey for even premium tape, but it's still cheap compared to a round of golf.
Old 06-11-20, 08:44 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
As measured: Front 61mm, Rear 70mm..
I have Weinmann 730 on my early 1970's Falcon. With KOOLS TOP pads, they work very well. Schwinn Approved 730 would be more appropriate for your bike I guess

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Dia-C...EAAOSwgOdeNPuU
Old 06-11-20, 03:38 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Ah, thanks for a slight explanation as I have begun an index shifting upgrade on my 80's Italian bike and have come across two very strange things in regard to bike retail:

1) Lots of super sketchy online sellers, some with stores too, that have horrible reviews about how they ship damaged or wrong items and then make it difficult or impossible to get the correct items

2) Out of stock, out of stock, out of stock... I dismissed the covid excuse as I buy lots of auto parts for German & Italian cars and there has been no stock shortage or difficulty in getting anything. However, I didn't realize that the cycling market has exploded due to the pandemic; I admit that I'm one of the Corona Peleton! That and the lack of car traffic on the streets.

Anyway, thanks for a thread to help explain things...
Old 06-11-20, 07:59 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
NOS 13-28t Shimano freewheel I just listed in "For Sale". $28 shipped.
Old 06-12-20, 06:48 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
I donated a bunch of bicycle parts, frames and a complete bike to my bicycle shop to help out their senior mechanic who had some heart trouble.

That includes a 1970 Paramount (yes, that ugly gold one with the rear rack), a NOS 1990-91 Colnago Master frame(never been built up), a 1987 Moulton Fuso frame that I had had repaired/repainted by Bilenky, an '81 John Howard frame built by Dave Tesch, lots of Campagnolo components, wheelsets, etc. NIB Brooks saddle with copper rivets, white leather saddle meant to go on the Colnago.

Since the bike shop is pretty busy, I doubt they've sold any of that stuff. If anyone is interested in contacting them, let me know.
Old 06-12-20, 07:07 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,394 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
That includes a 1970 Paramount (yes, that ugly gold one with the rear rack)
I think I remember that frame - was it in the 19-21" range with Prugnat lugs? Just trying to make sure it wasn't a 23"

-Kurt

Old 06-12-20, 08:03 AM
sw909

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
having the exact same problem.
Old 06-12-20, 08:47 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I think I remember that frame - was it in the 19-21" range with Prugnat lugs? Just trying to make sure it wasn't a 23"

-Kurt

Yep, that's the one. I built it up with a mish-mash of parts; 6-speed Campy drivetrain but SunTour shift levers and Dura-Ace brake levers.
https://billbattle.smugmug.com/Categ...no-longer-own/
Old 06-15-20, 06:09 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

FYI, check out the main image in this AP article entitled Pandemic leads to a bicycle boom, and shortage, around world. I spy a Super Course: https://apnews.com/39b3691b8e1ea3d74d1280a75e451a36

Originally Posted by bbattle
Yep, that's the one. I built it up with a mish-mash of parts; 6-speed Campy drivetrain but SunTour shift levers and Dura-Ace brake levers.
https://billbattle.smugmug.com/Categ...no-longer-own/
Yep, thought so!

-Kurt

Old 06-15-20, 07:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Someone posted a link to the French Rustines website that sells the hard to find Campy gum hoods. Just to see what it would cost, I added 'em to my mock shopping cart, and it came to $27. Not too terrible.

They sell some cool retro stuff like gloves and caps, too.
I have a set of SunTour Sprint branded DiaCompe aero levers from a 1987 Schwinn Circuit. Is there a Rustines hood that will fit these?
Old 06-15-20, 08:37 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
I have a few domestic vendors I buy from, and never order anything directly from the far east, never shopped on Ali Express. Universal Cycles is one place that has always come through for me.
This! Unless it's something super basic or hard to find, it's just not worth getting junk from the far east, and encouraging the junk market...

Originally Posted by plonz
Have come across US sellers claiming items are in stock and then admit they are waiting for their stock to arrive from China... after I’ve paid and inquired about where my stuff’s at.
I know there are people that think negative feedback on Ebay is like kicking the seller's dog, but in this case it is not only justified, but a service to everyone else. There is no excuse for this.

Originally Posted by eeuuugh
Word at both my LBS and the World Bike Mechanic forum on facebook is, 26x1.95-2.125" schrader valve inner tubes are out of stock from J&B and QBP as well. By far the most common size for flat fixes. It's going to be chaos.
Ugh, as if people like us needed another excuse to have too many "backup" parts in our collections...

Never seen so many casual riders out and about, both here in the city and out in the suburbs visiting my parents. LBS by my parents had a line out the door and around the corner, which was astonishing (previously I've never seen more than a handful of people inside the store).

Originally Posted by Glennfordx4
Lower tier stuff all sold out...
Yes, unfortunately most of the stuff rolling around seems to be pretty bad, which makes me wonder what will happen when this is all over. Most people are pressed for space these days, so I imagine the market will be flooded with a sea of second hand junky bikes.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 06-15-20, 08:45 AM
ant_biker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Struggling with this right now, I've been searching for some 700x23c tan wall tires.
Old 06-15-20, 09:04 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by ant_biker
Struggling with this right now, I've been searching for some 700x23c tan wall tires.
Here ya go:
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...yABEgLqH_D_BwE

Took me about 20 seconds. Para/black 23c is in stock. See the dropdown selections.

Not refuting that stock is low all around, but the situation is not as dire as it seems.

And yes, there will most definitely be a glut of used bikes for sale in the future, some lower tier, some not. Deals on the horizon for sure.
Old 06-15-20, 04:15 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
I've 4-5 bikes Id like to get finished this summer. I'll be luck to get 2 done though. I usually wait until I start on a project before buying the consumables, but I just bought 4 chains and a couple sets of of shift and brake cables. The brake cables I ordered on amazon and I'm wondering if the the shop actually had them in stock before they took my $... radio silence for a week. guess I need another set of tubes in case I get to bike #3 ....
Old 06-15-20, 04:44 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
This! Unless it's something super basic or hard to find, it's just not worth getting junk from the far east, and encouraging the junk market...
Depends what junk you choose to get. AliExpress was the only place where I could get 20" SR Suntour Swing forks, brand new with uncut steerers. So far, not junk, and OEM on some mini-velos. Any bike on the floor at your LBS with Suntour cranks: Bet you can find a direct SR replacement crank on AliExpress easier than any other source.

Oh, and there's a titanium fabrication firm from Taiwan on AliExpress as well. For three grand, they'll sell you one of these "junk market" titanium cargo bikes.

For four grand, they'll sell you the Bakfiets equivalent of a Bugatti Chiron:

AliExpress is also the only place where I could find tools being sold that could repair retired dockless bikes. The tool brand ("Broppe") is just one of a gazillion rebadges, but the tools are not junk - puts Harbor Freight to shame. Speaking of which, I have 22 retired dockless bikes here from Spin, ofo, Lime, and Jump. All made in China, and each of them will put a US-built Worksman (or even a Chinese bike shop-level beach cruiser) to shame in durability, quality of hardware (95% stainless, very rarely zinc anything), and overall refinement, which includes internal cable routing, Shimano roller brakes, Sturmey hubs, 6V hub generators...list goes on.

Also, if you think you're not "encouraging the junk market" when you're supporting your LBS, you are dead wrong. If you want to point fingers at Chinesium components, you can start with the Sunlite-badged crap at your LBS. Sunlite is J&B Importers' house brand, where they reverse-engineer everyone else's bike bits (including quality Chinese bits), and then fish around until they can find a Chinese industrial supplier that'll make them a lower-quality, cheaper duplicate.

-Kurt

P.S.: For those following the tracking numbers in my previous post, the third package arrived two days ago. First package has been scanned here in the States finally, according to Ali tracking.

Last edited by cudak888; 06-15-20 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 06:36 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
I've been doing "homework" for the co-op and needed a quick pair of 26'' presta tubes to push a build over the finish line last night (my preferred LBS owner has been so out straight trying to keep up that I'm afraid to bother him!) so I went to Dick's to grab the last two they had. Bike section truly looked like it had been robbed. Empty racks, just a few bikes on their side or leaning too far in the corner.

The co-op director and I were talking about the boomlet we're experiencing right now, and he made a good point--that about a year from now, maybe two, once hockey practice and little league starts back up again all these bikes are going to be donated. Hopefully at least a few people get the bug though--as others have said, it really makes me happy to see so many people out on bikes.
Likes For PugRider:
Old 06-16-20, 07:49 AM
Myles Quarter

Bikes: 1985 Sakai Star

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of stock

You are not alone! I am experiencing the same frustration currently in Toronto, Canada.
Old 06-16-20, 08:09 AM
Fissile

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
The recent emergency has motivated people to get back on their bikes. A lot of old bikes are being repaired. I recently tried to find a Tektro R559 nutted front caliper....no luck. As others have mention, the supply chain out of China has been disrupted. May take a while for things to get back to normal.
Old 06-16-20, 12:39 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Depends what junk you choose to get. AliExpress was the only place where I could get 20" SR Suntour Swing forks, brand new with uncut steerers. So far, not junk, and OEM on some mini-velos. Any bike on the floor at your LBS with Suntour cranks: Bet you can find a direct SR replacement crank on AliExpress easier than any other source.
Oh, and there's a titanium fabrication firm from Taiwan on AliExpress as well. For three grand, they'll sell you one of these "junk market" titanium cargo bikes.
AliExpress is also the only place where I could find tools being sold that could repair retired dockless bikes. The tool brand ("Broppe") is just one of a gazillion rebadges, but the tools are not junk - puts Harbor Freight to shame.
Also, if you think you're not "encouraging the junk market" when you're supporting your LBS, you are dead wrong. If you want to point fingers at Chinesium components, you can start with the Sunlite-badged crap at your LBS.
So 'hard to find,' which was one of the reasons I stated.

And the issue with AliExpress and the like is that they are a crap-shoot. You could get something decent, or you could get something awful. You just don't know. At least at your LBS you can look at something before you buy it, and there is some sort of name behind it.

And

Originally Posted by PugRider
The co-op director and I were talking about the boomlet we're experiencing right now, and he made a good point--that about a year from now, maybe two, once hockey practice and little league starts back up again all these bikes are going to be donated. Hopefully at least a few people get the bug though--as others have said, it really makes me happy to see so many people out on bikes.
Right, which makes me wonder what's really causing this mini boom (more specifically than the pandemic)? Is it kids and adults with fewer options for things to do? No team sports? No bars/restaurants/movies? Is it a desire to avoid mass transportation (a big factor here in NYC)? More free time with less work or working from home? No place to drive to? I guess it is a mix of all these things, but like you said it's going to be strange when things start returning to normal.

Last edited by robertorolfo; 06-16-20 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-16-20, 12:47 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Fissile
I recently tried to find a Tektro R559 nutted front caliper....no luck.
That's really long for the front of any vintage bike. Even my 1960 Schwinn uses a 539 on the front.
Old 06-16-20, 01:07 PM
Fissile

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
That's really long for the front of any vintage bike. Even my 1960 Schwinn uses a 539 on the front.
Sometimes really long is what's called for...like when you're trying to get around fat tires or going from 27 inch to 700c.
Old 06-16-20, 01:14 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Fissile
Sometimes really long is what's called for...like when you're trying to get around fat tires or going from 27 inch to 700c.
Still sounds long for a 700c conversion. I've done three of them, and all took a 539 for the front ... or a 539 with a little dremel work. The 559 on the front has always looked inappropriate to me. But I do understand the tire width issue.
Old 06-16-20, 06:57 PM
ant_biker

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Here ya go:

Took me about 20 seconds. Para/black 23c is in stock. See the dropdown selections.

Not refuting that stock is low all around, but the situation is not as dire as it seems.

And yes, there will most definitely be a glut of used bikes for sale in the future, some lower tier, some not. Deals on the horizon for sure.
I should have specified that I am from Canada, we usually have less options for most things. You're right though I can still find stuff online but was too impatient to wait the extended shipping times. Nonetheless I indeed up buying some online
Old 06-16-20, 08:20 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
I can't speak for local bike shops and parts, the only shop in this area don't sell parts or do service but all the normal sources of tires and tubes are either out of stock or have jacked up their prices to insane levels. 27" and 26" x 1 3/8" anything have become hens teeth lately.
I'm not sure what went on with the local Walmart, they piled up all the bike stuff in the clearance isle back in March and never restocked the bike department.
Bikes in that store were pretty thin since Christmas, as if they weren't restocking anything.
Its been the same thing with a lot of items, car batteries, any paper products, eggs and dairy, baking items, cookware, and snack foods.
It appears that they're not 'selling out' , they're just not stocking the shelves or getting new inventory.

I've actually been surprised lately at how fast some items arrive, many carriers have gone to 7 day delivery and I've gotten minor items even on Sunday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.