Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo 10s groupset to my Giant SCR 2020

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 10:11 PM
MtSprinter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hello guys. Seeking answers here, hope you could lend me a hand.

So I have this Giant SCR 2020, and I'm planning to upgrade this by changing my GS from Shimano Claris to Campagnolo 10s.

My question is about compatibility. Is there any chance that it might not fit on my frame?

The GS I'll buy is a 2nd hand Campagnolo Veloce Infinite Crank, FD, RD, Brakes while the shifter is Campagnolo Xenon. Same 10s.

Also, how to check a 2nd hand group set before buying? How to know if it is still working smoothly.

Thanks guys,

Ride life, Ride bike
Old 06-15-20, 10:59 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Is it coming with wheels? Biggest issue you'll run into is that Campy uses their own spline system for cassettes and a shimano or sram cassette won't work perfect with it. No real easy way. can check the chain isn't too worn, if it is so is the cassette. Just have to shift the shifters and see if they feel good.
Old 06-15-20, 11:53 PM
MtSprinter

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Is it coming with wheels? Biggest issue you'll run into is that Campy uses their own spline system for cassettes and a shimano or sram cassette won't work perfect with it. No real easy way. can check the chain isn't too worn, if it is so is the cassette. Just have to shift the shifters and see if they feel good.
Nope, groupset only. Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate.

How about the crankset? Is there a specific size for that to fit on my Giant frame? Sorry newbie here. I don't know if I'm asking too dumb questions here. My bad
Old 06-16-20, 03:56 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Your shifters, brakes etc will all go on fine. Make sure your front derailleur is a braze-on, not band-on.

If your group set comes with a Campagnolo cassette, your new cassette will not fit on your old rear wheel. You can pick up a 10 speed Shimano cassette, and should be able to make the indexing work on your shifting.

I can’t tell for sure if the SCR has an English thread bottom bracket, but there’s no indication that it doesn’t, so you should be ok there, I guess?
Likes For Leinster:
Old 06-16-20, 04:53 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,425 Times in 2,757 Posts
Are you certain this is an upgrade? Used lower level Campy, could be 10+ years old, pig in a poke. You could get a new 105 R7000 group for $500+/-. That would be a true upgrade.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-16-20, 06:38 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by MtSprinter
How about the crankset? Is there a specific size for that to fit on my Giant frame? Sorry newbie here. I don't know if I'm asking too dumb questions here. My bad
A quick check of the specs of your frame just list cartridge for the BB, this would suggest that the crank is a square taper, being Claris equipped it isn't improbable that this is the real case. In which case whatever campy crank is included can be adapted to your frame.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Are you certain this is an upgrade? Used lower level Campy, could be 10+ years old, pig in a poke. You could get a new 105 R7000 group for $500+/-. That would be a true upgrade.
Xenon parts I would agree with, I think I'd still prefer 10+ year old Veloce to 105, that groupset has never impressed me and I am happy with my Tiagra equipped bike and currently don't have a campy equipped bike.

To the OP, I was ignoring that you specified veloce/Xenon in the parts, this is really low end campy and not that great, Xenon doesn't get really good reviews. If you like the idea of Campy and have some money to spend look for an 11sp campy groupset in Europe, you can get an 11sp Potenza groupset from places like Merlin cycles for the price of a 105 group here in the states and if you buy a shimano 11sp 11-34 cassette which the new medium cage rear der will work with you can keep your current wheels.
11sp cassettes are so closely spaced that the any brand can run on any cassette and your wheelset might be an 11sp, that would be best, look for a spacer behind your cassette to determine which you have. If there's a spacer you have an 11sp cassette hub. No spacer you need to make sure whatever you get that's new 11sp can shift a mtb cassette or find a better shimano or sram 10 speed group which is the only way you'll avoid replacing wheels as well.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 06-16-20, 06:39 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts

So I have this Giant SCR 2020, and I'm planning to upgrade this by changing my GS from Shimano Claris to Campagnolo 10s.

My question is about compatibility. Is there any chance that it might not fit on my frame?

The GS I'll buy is a 2nd hand Campagnolo Veloce Infinite Crank, FD, RD, Brakes while the shifter is Campagnolo Xenon. Same 10s.
You don't want Xenon shifters using the Escape mechanism. They have the same escapement mechanism as Shimano and have durability issues with the plastic internals.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 06-16-20, 07:23 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Agreed, the Xenon shifters are poor. I had to get some as it was all that would work with my 9spd groupset when my 20 year old shifters broke but they definitely built down to a price.
Old 06-16-20, 07:28 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I don't think you'd be able to get any 10 speed Shimano or Sram to work with 10sp Campy.

You might be able to hit the top and bottom ok but it's going to be all over the place in between.

Your bike is brand new. The groupset on it is not sexy but it is quite functional. It's probably just as functional as old Campy. Certainly a lot easier to get parts for and fewer compatibility issues.

I think you'd save a lot of time and money with no ill effect by just riding it.
Old 06-16-20, 09:36 AM
MtSprinter

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I agree. I don't know, maybe Campagnolo has this novelty on their brand that's why. I saw it already and it wasn't worn out. The price of it is only 240 USD. And if I can sell my Claris GS, i guess it'll enough to recover the money I will use.

Thanks for that great POV tho. I'll think of it.
Old 06-16-20, 09:37 AM
MtSprinter

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
A quick check of the specs of your frame just list cartridge for the BB, this would suggest that the crank is a square taper, being Claris equipped it isn't improbable that this is the real case. In which case whatever campy crank is included can be adapted to your frame.

Xenon parts I would agree with, I think I'd still prefer 10+ year old Veloce to 105, that groupset has never impressed me and I am happy with my Tiagra equipped bike and currently don't have a campy equipped bike.

To the OP, I was ignoring that you specified veloce/Xenon in the parts, this is really low end campy and not that great, Xenon doesn't get really good reviews. If you like the idea of Campy and have some money to spend look for an 11sp campy groupset in Europe, you can get an 11sp Potenza groupset from places like Merlin cycles for the price of a 105 group here in the states and if you buy a shimano 11sp 11-34 cassette which the new medium cage rear der will work with you can keep your current wheels.
11sp cassettes are so closely spaced that the any brand can run on any cassette and your wheelset might be an 11sp, that would be best, look for a spacer behind your cassette to determine which you have. If there's a spacer you have an 11sp cassette hub. No spacer you need to make sure whatever you get that's new 11sp can shift a mtb cassette or find a better shimano or sram 10 speed group which is the only way you'll avoid replacing wheels as well.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Russ. It helped me a lot on thinking.
Old 06-17-20, 06:01 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I agree. I don't know, maybe Campagnolo has this novelty on their brand that's why. I saw it already and it wasn't worn out. The price of it is only 240 USD. And if I can sell my Claris GS, i guess it'll enough to recover the money I will use.

Thanks for that great POV tho. I'll think of it.
I built a bike up with 8 speed Mirage, and it was great. I could have gone with 10 speed Tiagra or even 105 for not much more at the time, but I did just really want a Campagnolo group; I already had a couple of 105 bikes in the garage at the time. I've more recently built up another bike with 11 speed Athena/Chorus, and I absolutely love it. There's nothing wrong with playing a little brand-snob here and there, and if you've got a good price on the Campag, nothing wrong with buying it, putting it on your bike, and see if you like it.
Old 06-18-20, 12:22 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
A mixed group of old crap isn't much of an upgrade. If you want the bike to work well, buy a new centaur or potenza 11 speed group.
Old 06-18-20, 07:14 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
I built a bike up with 8 speed Mirage, and it was great. I could have gone with 10 speed Tiagra or even 105 for not much more at the time, but I did just really want a Campagnolo group; I already had a couple of 105 bikes in the garage at the time. I've more recently built up another bike with 11 speed Athena/Chorus, and I absolutely love it. There's nothing wrong with playing a little brand-snob here and there, and if you've got a good price on the Campag, nothing wrong with buying it, putting it on your bike, and see if you like it.
One of Mrs Road Fan’s bikes has a Mirage 8-speed Triple, from 1997, the full group. We’ve owned it since about 2005, and it has essentially worked perfectly since we’ve owned it. If this history is better than what you would expect from a new Shimano group, then I have no doubt that for the price that Campagnolo
group is a deal.
Old 06-19-20, 11:30 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts

Also, how to check a 2nd hand group set before buying? How to know if it is still working smoothly.

Thanks guys,

Ride life, Ride bike
I've thrown up my hands with Campy. I cannot get Record 10 spd to shift perfect for more than a couple of weeks before it needs to be readjusted. The 9 speed had a little of this problem but not like the 10. ALL 11 spd groups are difficult to get to run quietly. I would really suggest an Ultegra or DuraAce 10 speed group which is plainly better. And this is from someone that has been riding Campy from the time that they had friction downtube shifters.
Old 06-19-20, 12:27 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
I've thrown up my hands with Campy. I cannot get Record 10 spd to shift perfect for more than a couple of weeks before it needs to be readjusted. The 9 speed had a little of this problem but not like the 10. ALL 11 spd groups are difficult to get to run quietly. I would really suggest an Ultegra or DuraAce 10 speed group which is plainly better. And this is from someone that has been riding Campy from the time that they had friction downtube shifters.
Something is wrong with your bike or installation, perhaps excessive cable friction. Making the brake hoods level with bar tops added a tight 90 degree guide in the shifter bodies and increased sensitivity to cable friction.

My Record 10 speed derailleurs and NOS 2010 Ultrashift levers work perfectly until fatigue breaks cable strands or a shifter spring.

I only got 24,000 miles out of my first rear mechanism although other people shift less and get more. Multiply by the ratio between how many miles it takes you to break a rear shift cable and 2,500 miles.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 06-22-20 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-21-20, 09:05 PM
MtSprinter

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Closing this thread, thank you so much guys for each unique POV. Loving this forum <3