Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Considering swapping my Race bike for an Aero bike. Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Considering swapping my Race bike for an Aero bike. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 08:16 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I think it’s worth noting that OP has made no indication that he actually wants to race.

If he does... it’s a no brainer. Buy all the aero you can afford.
Correct. I do not race and I do not intend to start to. I would however like to be more efficient when flat riding without affecting my climbs very much, hence why I was considering an Aero bike and not a TT bike. The Venge seems like a good compromise.

Originally Posted by RChung
Except in the title of this thread, which contains the words "race bike."

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Just swapping to an aero frame WILL NOT prevent you from getting dropped. It's a much smaller difference than anyone wants to believe.
I did not talk about getting dropped anywhere in this thread.

Originally Posted by guadzilla
I gotta say, i have a Venge and it is a near-perfect do-it-all bike. It's lighter than most other aero bikes, handles really well, is super responsive when you drope the hammar (or is hamer?) - I test rode a S5 and found it dead to ride; the Madone was a couch and just flat-out boring. Didnt have a chance to ride the Propel or the Foil, but you really should consider a test ride of the Venge.
Thanks for this comment. I want to try one, but LBSs around don't offer test rides. With the COVID-19 situation, events are all being either cancelled or postponed to a later date. I am sure that the Venge would make me change my mind on buying another TCR if I could test-drive one. I really like the Venge Pro DI2 2020.
Old 06-16-20, 09:28 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Thanks for this comment. I want to try one, but LBSs around don't offer test rides. With the COVID-19 situation, events are all being either cancelled or postponed to a later date. I am sure that the Venge would make me change my mind on buying another TCR if I could test-drive one. I really like the Venge Pro DI2 2020.
Well, the best way i can describe the ride of the Venge is "lively". It doesnt like a wooden board, it doesnt beat you up and it feels "lively" - as in, when you accelerate, you can feel the bike respond instantly. This is very much a subjective thing, but i found the Trek to have a ride quality that reminded me of my titanium bike - smooth, plush but it didnt feel "exciting", you know? Same with the S5.

The Venge handles like any normal road bike, it climbs pretty well - my otherwise-stock Pro 2019 was about 7.95kg with CLX64s. It is around 7.3kg now with Dura Ace Di2. That's the same territory as many "GC/climbing" bikes.

If I sound like a fan, it is because I am. The Madone was my leading candidate (that Viper Red!!!) with the S5 a second, but the Venge was far more fun to ride. And as per Tour test reports, it is only a few watts slower than the Cannondale System6 and more or less on par with the rest. That falls within the error range of the tests, as far as i am concerned.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 06-16-20, 03:03 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
My climbing bike, Wilier Zero.6 (Sram Red) is awesome on steep hills. At 5.8kg (weighed yesterday) it is ideally suited.

Yesterday I took delivery of my new bike, Trek Madone SLR 6. The idea is to upgrade the groupset and wheels but even in its current 8.4kg configuration, it proved faster on the flats today - marginal sure, but 14 seconds gave me the KOM.
I race...this will be my bike of choice on less lumpy routes.
​​​​

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 06-16-20, 03:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Just swapping to an aero frame WILL NOT prevent you from getting dropped. It's a much smaller difference than anyone wants to believe.
This is actually not true at all. Everyone knows the person who wins a race is always the one with the most money to spend on bike stuff. That's why the pros don't even train anymore, they all work lots of overtime at desk jobs now to pay for disc wheels and Cuban fiber shoe covers.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-16-20, 08:20 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Lol @ cuban fiber
Old 06-17-20, 10:41 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I agree on the exposed cables. Are those prices and specs for mech setups? I didn't look closer. On any modern aero bike I will personally NEVER own another without Di2. The mess of running mech cables in some of these bikes is rough. Sure, rear brake. But that's usually the easiest cable run.

And if those bikes are Di2 (or SRAM equiv), there's zero reason for all the exposed routing since the wires are smaller/easier to hide places than mech cables are that require a big enough bend radius to still work correctly.
Old 06-18-20, 04:12 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I agree on the exposed cables. Are those prices and specs for mech setups? I didn't look closer. On any modern aero bike I will personally NEVER own another without Di2. The mess of running mech cables in some of these bikes is rough. Sure, rear brake. But that's usually the easiest cable run.

And if those bikes are Di2 (or SRAM equiv), there's zero reason for all the exposed routing since the wires are smaller/easier to hide places than mech cables are that require a big enough bend radius to still work correctly.
At this price tag, I am def. staying in the electronic groupset world. The Venge Pro 2020 is offered in either Ultegra DI2 or Force ETap AXS (same price for both) while the TCR Advanced Pro comes in DI2 only (Sram being reserved for the Advanced SL lineup). I am a Shimano guy though even if there's more wires.

Last edited by eduskator; 06-18-20 at 04:23 PM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 06-19-20, 08:16 AM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You got go with a cannondale system six imo.

go for it ! Imo the Scott isn’t a true aero the way the venge, Madone, and system 6 are.

imo it’s nice to have all 3 types of bike. Endurance. Road. Aero.