Old 06-18-20, 02:12 PM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
Tahoe Ride

Hi thinking about staying in Truckee for 5 days road bike riding .can any of you tell me some good routes to ride thanks
Old 06-18-20, 02:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26405 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...a lot of this depends on how comfortable you are with cars and narrow road shoulders. People circumnavigate the lake on bikes all the time, but I personally will not do that ride. There is some paved bike trail action going out of Truckee down the road to Tahoe City, and I think that they give out printed copies of this map at the visitor center in the Truckee Rail Terminal Station. There's also a visitor's center in Tahoe City.

Honestly, the real action up a Tahoe is off road and downhill. But you do see people out riding on the road shoulders, however hazardous it appears.
Old 06-18-20, 02:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26405 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
....also, look here.
Old 06-18-20, 02:39 PM
semroc

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 62 Posts
Epic rides around there. Kingsbury grade to Carson Valley. Luther pass to Markleeville. If you can get over to Monitor pass outside Markleeville that's the epic one. Not much traffic on that and great views. Old Luther pass if you want some real steep stuff. Or around Tahoe is cool, but tons of traffic. If you like long climbs Monitor pass is awesome. I saw Inga Thompson train on that once. Flying up it.
Old 06-20-20, 01:05 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Another place to look is ridewithgps.com. Here's a list of routes around Truckee.
Old 06-24-20, 09:30 PM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by bigd777
Hi thinking about staying in Truckee for 5 days road bike riding .can any of you tell me some good routes to ride thanks
This topic comes up often enough that it should be made into a sticky.

A couple years ago I had a similar thread. If you are brave enough give the ride around Lake Tahoe a try. I did it and absolutely loved every minute of it. Some good information that I used on my ride was given to on this thread.
https://www.bikeforums.net/northern-...ake-tahoe.html
Old 06-25-20, 12:19 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
posted a south lake tahoe thread last summer but didn't have much luck with responses. just winged it for two rides which were both great.
elevation really clamped down on me the first ride. if you end up on the south end of the lake at some point, maybe this will help...

https://www.bikeforums.net/northern-...es-length.html
Old 06-25-20, 12:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Truckee--Tahoe City--Kings Beach--Truckee loop. I would ride it that direction (CCW) because you have the Lake on your right for the TC-KB section. Then you have a decent climb up Brockway and a hellafast descent past Northstar and back to Truckee.

You could do the Lake Loop. Again, I'd go CCW so you have the Lake on the right. Also, go on a weekday and start very early for lighter traffic. Wear sunscreen.

Also, Donner Lake Road up to old Hwy 40 to the Summit.
Old 06-25-20, 06:54 PM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Truckee--Tahoe City--Kings Beach--Truckee loop.
Also, Donner Lake Road up to old Hwy 40 to the Summit.
The Truckee / Kings Beach loop can be lengthened with an out-and-back to Incline Village and Sand Harbor for fantastic views of the Lake (there is a path separate from road now) or if you want to climb, Incline Village to the Mt Rose Summit.

We’re in Tahoe this week with MTBs, but the road riding (particularly on these COVID weekdays) should be great.
Likes For anotherbrian:
Old 07-10-20, 01:29 AM
Takeshi

Bikes: '14 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
There's a newer pavement trail along Truckee river, short though.
Old 08-01-20, 05:35 AM
dlm2182

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pavement trail along Truckee is great!
Old 08-02-20, 09:20 AM
ztmlgr

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by anotherbrian
..., but the road riding (particularly on these COVID weekdays) should be great.
Well, that's what I thought too. I rode around the lake on Wednesday last week and thought that the COVID situation would reduce the crowds substantially. Plus, it was mid-week and I started relatively early (8:30 AM). I had ridden around the lake 4 years ago, again mid-week but closer to Labor Day weekend and I would have to say the crowds and traffic were only slightly less this time. All the hot spots were PACKED. Tahoe City traffic was backed up solid. Big crowds all the way to Incline Village and beyond. You get a bit of a break on the section of 28 up towards Spooner, but the commercial section from Stateline to the Y was just as bad as ever. It was a good ride, but the traffic just gets to you after a while.

Earlier in the week I had ridden up Monitor from Markleeville, and then on Friday rode up Ebbetts, again from Markleeville, and the difference was like night and day. Almost zero traffic on both climbs. You don't get the Lake Tahoe scenery on the Ebbetts and Monitor rides, but I think the scenery is equally as spectacular..
Old 08-18-20, 09:57 AM
slporten

Bikes: 1973 Raleigh International 1972 Falcon San remo 1976 Garlatti 1978 Falcon Sen Remo 1983 Angelo Boeris 1989 Vitus 979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Right now it is extremely crowded on the east side of the lake. There is a new path from Incline Village to Sand Harbor, but after that it is just intermittent rideable stretches interspersed with tight shoulders and consistent traffic. For whatever reason, the number of cars parked along the wider shoulders is greater than I have seen in recent memory. On weekends there are more than a thousand cars along both sides of 28 from Sand Harbor to SR50. You need to ride slow to avoid car doors and pedestrians popping out of nowhere.