Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycling isn't as fun with new bike

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycling isn't as fun with new bike

Old 06-20-20, 02:35 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
morgothaod , how goes it? Did you get the Jamis to fit? As for adjusting the saddle, remember that when you're sitting on it and the pedal is at the bottom, your knee should be not quite straight. It looks like your stem is adjustable; you could try lowering it a bit so you're not quite as upright. It could also just be a matter of miles and your body getting used to the new bike.

ETA: If you want to return to some vintage steel, I found some interesting bikes in your area (can't help it, had to look): a Trek 750, not cheap, but an excellent bike (I may be biased), just change to swept handlebars and you're golden (but 700c wheels, not 26"); a Peugeot Sport that needs some work -- maybe you could talk them down to $100; and a Trek 700, equivalent to your 800, overpriced, but in decent shape, you might be able to talk them down.

Last edited by Korina; 06-20-20 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-20-20, 04:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Great googly moogly those Jamis bars are high!
and what is that pouch connected to your bars...it looks like it would fit a full sized tablet.

As has been mentioned, make the new bike fit the same as the old. Its clearly a different fit based on those pictures.
Such snobbery on bar height...

In terms of the bike you may have had a better position for you on the Trek, it could have been the wider tires and the steel frame giving you comfort as well. It could also have been familiarity that can play a big role in comfort sometimes. A new bike with different components may feel different.

I find personally that a lot of the bikes marketed as "comfort bikes" are not all that comfortable unless you barely ride it. The basically said raise up the bars, lower seatpost, add the widest seat you can find and make it out of aluminum with low cost components. I don't think any of these companies really did much study of bike fitting before designing those bikes they just listened to what people who aren't bike fitters said. Sometimes that can be good but the people who actually study the human body and how it relates to bicycles might be a better choice than a few people who spend little time on the bikes.
Old 06-21-20, 04:13 AM
morgothaod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Even after adjusting the seat height, I still find the ride to not be as fun as the mountain bike

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Do you know the size of your old Trek. Depending on your height, it might work. It is cheap enough to take a look. And if it is not too small you can make it fit.

John
No, I don't but I'm 5'7" so I think the frame is small enough for me? Would the two different width wheels be a problem- "New front tire (2.1 inch) and newer back tire (1.95 inch)"

I found some interesting bikes in your area (can't help it, had to look): a Trek 750, not cheap, but an excellent bike (I may be biased), just change to swept handlebars and you're golden (but 700c wheels, not 26"); a Peugeot Sport that needs some work -- maybe you could talk them down to $100; and a Trek 700, equivalent to your 800, overpriced, but in decent shape, you might be able to talk them down.
Thanks, but I think those bikes are too big for me. I think the max I want to pay is $250.

Last edited by morgothaod; 06-21-20 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-21-20, 10:00 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Nothing wrong with wider front tire. That was typical old school setup for mountain bikes.

The surface rust is the thing to look at, as well as shifters, brarings, chainrings, and derailleurs working well. For an older bike, finding decent 7 speed triggers are tough. Replaceable maintenance items, brake pads, chain, etc. are not a big deal.

John
Old 06-24-20, 06:49 AM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I missed out on the Trek 820 so I'm still looking. I may even consider a road bike (Never been on one but being able to go fast sounds like fun). I only ride trails though because of bad drivers in my state.
Old 06-24-20, 05:37 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark_K
Cycling is my favorite pastime. Are there fans like me here?
Sure. I'm a fan.

Old 06-25-20, 08:04 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
meh, its ok. most here are into cycling as a side hobby, but their main love is message boards.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-25-20, 11:02 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by morgothaod
I missed out on the Trek 820 so I'm still looking. I may even consider a road bike (Never been on one but being able to go fast sounds like fun). I only ride trails though because of bad drivers in my state.
Buy a gravel bike. Problem solved.

I think I'd rather go for a run than ride either one of those bikes. And I hate running.

Now I understand that this will come-off as being quite rude, but it has to be said so you can start to really enjoy cycling.

Imagine going into a car dealership, and asking for something that feels sporty and responsive. The salesperson nods, and dissappears for a bit to retrieve a car from the back of the lot.

While you're waiting for him, you observe a goofy old van with fake wood paneling pulling up to the front on the lot. Looking at van, you just know that vehicle is the antithesis of sporty, without even having driven the thing for a second.

Right behind the van, is a light-used 911 driven by your salesperson. You see that bad-boy and immediately feel a chill go down your spine. You know you're about to have some serious fun in that machine.

Just get the 911 and stop messing around with the grandpa vans. You will thank me, eventually.
Old 06-25-20, 12:20 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I had a Trek Mountain Track 800 and I sold it and bought a Jamis Citizen 2. I wanted a more comfortable riding position.
I have to shake my head. Two thoughts. 1) You should have measured and written down key dimensions of the Trek before selling it. Saddle height and horizontal offset from the bottom bracket spindle. Handlebar height and horizontal offset from the same reference point. As starting point, those dimensions should be the target for the Jamis. 2) Those two bikes in the photos are not set up the same. At all.

What gives?
Old 06-25-20, 01:57 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

While this is not going to give you your old setup, you can take the picture of your Mountain Track, measure it, and get a rough idea based on the published Mountain Track specs; such as the top tube length.

You'll never get the Jamis to act like the Mountain Track geometry, and that suspension fork will make it feel even slower, but you can at least figure out the handlebar height, stem length and seat position.

John
Old 06-26-20, 09:37 AM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'll either try to find an older mountain bike or test ride a road bike. When I was on the Jamis, I found the ride to be a little bit more fun when I rested my forearms on the handlebars (Leaned forward). I'm not sure how to lower the handlebars so they are still in the same position as the photo.
Old 06-26-20, 10:47 AM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
While this is not going to give you your old setup, you can take the picture of your Mountain Track, measure it, and get a rough idea based on the published Mountain Track specs; such as the top tube length.

You'll never get the Jamis to act like the Mountain Track geometry, and that suspension fork will make it feel even slower, but you can at least figure out the handlebar height, stem length and seat position.

John
I remember just being able to touch my feet on the ground when standing over the top tube of the Trek. I have a 30" inseam, so maybe my bike was a size 18.
Old 06-26-20, 11:23 AM
70sSanO

I remember just being able to touch my feet on the ground when standing over the top tube of the Trek. I have a 30" inseam, so maybe my bike was a size 18.
You can get the stand over height if your Jamis online (17” is 29.57”). If the stand over height is about the same, then you had an 18” Mountain Track.

All you are trying to do is figure out if your handlebars are 2” higher or you seat is an inch further back and then try to get your Jamis close to your Trek and try it. You might like the bike more, or not, or find a happy medium and decide you really don’t want the old Trek setup or your current one.

Keep track with measurements of where things are from a fixed point... headset/stem bolt to seat, top tube to seat, center crank to seat, top tube to stem, etc. Whatever gets you numbers that you can get back to. If you find a good setup, write those down.

John
Old 06-26-20, 09:00 PM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I tried lowering the stem some more but it wouldn't go down. I was able to make it taller though. What gives? I put all my weight down on the stem and it still wouldn't go down any. I was able to lower the handlebars though. This is what my bike looks like now.

Old 06-26-20, 09:17 PM
sledgefisher

Bikes: 1968 - Peugeot PR10 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1987 / 1987 Gitane Super Corsa Reynolds 531, 1969 Moulton Super, 2020 Kona Dew Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
You will be able to lower the stem about 10mm by moving the reflector and adjusting the stem lower into the head tube.
Old 06-27-20, 12:08 AM
70sSanO

Quill stem have a wedge to tighten it to the steerer tube. Sometimes loosening the bolt doesn’t free the wedge. It just raises the bolt head. You can test this buy loosening it and pushing the bolt head back down. If it doesn’t move a slight tap with a plastic/rubber hammer or tap a block of wood between the bolt and a steel hammer. you just want the loosened bolt to drop back down and did-engage the wedge. If you get it to move, taking the reflector off as suggested above will drop it a little more.

This exercise may not work. Or if it is close, you may need a shorter stem to bring the handlebars closer to you. You just want to see if you can enjoy this bike before spending money on a different one.

John
Old 06-27-20, 08:39 AM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
After loosening the bolt with a hex wrench, I tapped the wrench with the palm of my hand and with a regular hammer but it still wouldn't go down. The new handlebar set up did make the bike feel more like my mountain bike however I feel like on the mountain bike I could go faster with less effort (Even though both bikes are 21 speed). So, I get more tired and ride less on my Jamis. Feeling slower makes the bike less fun too.
Old 06-27-20, 09:54 AM
70sSanO

Did you buy the bike new? If yes, take it bake to the shop and have them loosen it the stem so it can be adjusted.

I don’t know why it is harder to pedal and you get more tired on the Jamis. It could be a slightly dragging brake pad on the rim. One time I was mountain biking with our son and felt quite proud of myself that he wasn’t blowing me away on climbs. Then he noticed a broken spoke and the rim brushing against the brake pad. So much for deflating my ego.

John
Old 06-29-20, 08:41 AM
morgothaod

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I was looking at a two road bikes online. Not sure if they would fit me. I'm 5'7"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jamis-Ventu...0AAOSwmCVY9DEJ

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9590182074455/

There's a place by me that does a bike fitting but I don't know if it's a waste of money since they have online calculators.

"Introductory Bike Fit~$100 The best choice for people who are brand new to cycling, who may or may not be clipping in at first, but who are interested in trying out cycling and are pursuing that with some interest yet are not ready to invest in a comprehensive fit initially."

Last edited by morgothaod; 06-29-20 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-29-20, 11:21 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Nope. Can't stand the sport.