Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just Gonna Drop This Out Here...Richard Sachs Content

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Just Gonna Drop This Out Here...Richard Sachs Content

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-20, 07:44 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
The FD is indeed a 70 series Shimano 'cross unit. Very versatile, great for shifting unusual ring combinations. Actually slightly finicky when it comes to trim in this application, so may go back to a nice clamp 7400 FD in the future. Why that FD?
Bercause of the chainring combination- it's a 48/34. Wait, how do you put a 34 inner ring on a Dura Ace 7400 130 BCD crankset? Why, you start with a 6206 triple crank (same design aesthetic but 110/110/74) and send it over to forum member Stephen Needle in England. He milled it down, polished it up to a mirror finish, and pantographed the Dura Ace logos:

But there's more. Discuss!
Cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater. 😉 I guess we’ll let that slide. 😁
Old 06-21-20, 08:47 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Tell us about that cogset/hub setup. A 6-speed cassette?
Old 06-21-20, 12:05 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I knew there was something up with that front setup. It is super slick.

Seriously, it looks absolutely fantastic.
Old 06-21-20, 08:32 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
So, yeah, that’s a 7403 hubset, 8-9-10 speed compatible. Frame had previously been cold set to 130mm and didn’t want to pull it back down to 126.

When I downsized the collection last year, wanted to make things all HG (no UG) and all freehub (no freewheel) and with one exception at this point have managed to keep that goal.
Years ago a machine shop guy made me a set of complete spacers to mate a six speed HG cogset to a 130 OLD hub. That particular experiment failed, but I kept the spacers. Worked a charm here.

Anyway, you guys have pretty much figured everything out. Six speed indexed now, but can swap out the indexing pod for a 7-8-9-10 speed later on, and the hub/RD will work with any of them. Or friction if I decide to go that way. The compact style crankset lets me run a wide range of chainrings, but could also swap out the BB and use it as a triple for, say, Eroica. Has 30mm Vittoria Corsa tires mounted right now (BTW, with those came within 45 seconds of an all time PR on a 32 mile training course, so there’s still room to improve) but could fit 32’s or maybe 35’s. Pretty versatile spacing, like many late 70’s frames.

Those are Ciussi Elite Inox bottle cages, and yes, the second set was added later on. Jack took off the later ones and put on this set of mounts that match the earlier diamond shaped ones used by Richard originally.

This frame uses recessed brake nuts, prolly pretty early to use them.

Those are TB-14 rims. Have them on several builds and really like them. Hoods are, surprisingly, original.

End result is I’m just deleriously happy to have this one in the stable. It’s really a wonderful ride

Thanks again for all of the supportive comments.

Last edited by rccardr; 06-21-20 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-22-20, 01:57 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I see very few bike that make me jealous but that one does!