Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Applying Chamois cream

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Applying Chamois cream

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-20, 11:13 AM
saddlesniffer

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Applying Chamois cream

Good morning everyone! I am relatively new to road cycling and I am enjoying it. I have been gradually increasing my distance on the weekends. I first started with 6-10 mile rides with no problems for about a year. Then I bumped it up to about 15-20 miles again with no problems. Once I hit the 25-30 mile mark I started to develop some chafing on my inner right leg area near my junk. So I purchased a Assos Chafing cream and will apply that for my coming up weekend ride. My question is how much should I apply? Should I apply it on the pad as well as my inner thigh or just the thigh/crotch area? Thanks for any help.
Old 06-25-20, 11:41 AM
dr_max

Bikes: BMC SLC01 Promachine with full DA grupo on Ksyrium ES/ BMC Roadmachine 01 One disc Ultegra with DT Swiss

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 37 Posts
One of my friend watched a Tour de France documentary and he saw the pros putting their bibs turned inside out fully in shamoi cream countainers, they would put more shamoi cream for a ride than I was applying just at the affected region for 1 year.

Since it’s pretty expensive I apply it just at the affected region when I go for 80 miles ride but keep in mind the pros are flooding their bibs with cream for 150 miles ride
Old 06-25-20, 11:46 AM
milan4ever

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have 2020 Trek Domane SL5 and absolutely love everything about it If you are after comfort you should go after endurance geometry like Domane or Roubaix. 2021Trek Emonda SL is sick and will turn heads for sure but it’s more aero and may be too aggressive for you.
Old 06-25-20, 11:53 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
I don't think it's possible to use too much.

The worst that'll happen is a stop at the blue office will be a messy affair.

I've only used it for a couple of double-century rides. The same jar has been in my medicine cabinet for about 4, going on 5 years now. I'm not convinced it's any better than the right chamois on the right seat with the right bike fit.

If you are having chafing issues then I'd re-examine your situation. It's not uncommon th have certain shorts with certain bikes & certain shorts & certain bikes for specific purposes.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 06-25-20, 12:04 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I've never had a problem with chafing on the bike, but have to use some form of friction control during runs and tris. Here's a product that does the job, is cheap and is sold at stores like Walmart and Target. Just throwing it out there as an alternative.

https://www.goldbond.com/blog/product/friction-defense/

Here's some reviews:

https://trifatherhood.wordpress.com/...efense-review/
https://spy.com/articles/grooming/sk...g-balm-203275/
https://runnerclick.com/10-best-anti...eams-reviewed/
Old 06-25-20, 12:18 PM
saddlesniffer

Bikes: Canyon Endurace CF SL 8.0

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone!!
Old 06-25-20, 12:25 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
I used anti-chafe cream when I used to run more than 5 miles. I've used chamois cream for every ride (and I only ride 90 minutes at a time so far). The other day, I was listening to a podcast and heard guys say that they don't use it every time. I honestly thought everyone used it every time. The podcast host said that using cream every time makes you "too soft" and hindered "building up hardness in the affected skin area." He said he only uses it on longer rides.
This made me wonder if I should back off, so I'm going to start doing recovery rides without and see how it feels.
I've been riding 6 months and luckily haven't had any issues related to saddle sores or chafing.
(somehow I'm a "senior member" on this board now, which is slightly concerning).
Old 06-25-20, 12:29 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Classy user name, OP
Old 06-25-20, 12:31 PM
COYSpurs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I assume you are using a shammy as well? I am also new and had MAJOR problems right away. Ive now been on about 8 rides and feeling so much better after simply getting used it it? I purchased a few shammies and also chamois cream which i apply directly on my body and in the shammy. Try this out and it should help.
Old 06-25-20, 12:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Never used it.

While I have had a handful of irritations down in the nether regions, they never got to the point of being sores. Some were caused by clothing that didn't fit snug enough, or had seams that were too bulky or in wrong place, or where just wore out and time to replace.

Sometimes it's too much body hair. Body hair keeps moisture and heat next to your skin and doesn't let your cycling clothes wick moisture away from you as well as is possible for it. Hair also gives a place to let your otherwise skin tight cycling clothes that are supposed to move with you, not move with you. And that becomes a slight constant rub that will irritate the best of us. No need to shave it, just use some shears and trim it shorter.
Old 06-25-20, 12:55 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
If you've been riding regularly for a year, shouldn't need anything for a couple of hours ride.

If there's issues, check laundry detergent, lack of getting the shorts clean (I used to hand wash, now mostly don't),

and diet- spicy food can have an effect.

Using on every ride is way overkill IMO. Personally, I only use on rides over 8 hrs. 3 fingers-worth applied to the skin.

"I don't think it's possible to use too much."
Old 06-25-20, 01:05 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
I have discovered from the experience of five decades that I do need skin lube for rides of almost any length if I'm doing more than about 100 mi/wk, or I get chafing and then worse. I apply it sparingly to the saddle contact points over the ischial rami.
Old 06-25-20, 01:07 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
If you've been riding regularly for a year, shouldn't need anything for a couple of hours ride.

If there's issues, check laundry detergent, lack of getting the shorts clean (I used to hand wash, now mostly don't),

and diet- spicy food can have an effect.

Using on every ride is way overkill IMO. Personally, I only use on rides over 8 hrs. 3 fingers-worth applied to the skin.

"I don't think it's possible to use too much."
Exactly what I was thinking. I know that all skins are different and some are a lot more sensitive than others, but this is odd. My longest rides are 4 hours / 100kms with a lot of elevation, and never did I experience discomfort in this area.

I even ride with my underwears sometimes (please don't laugh at me) and everything is just fine.
Old 06-25-20, 01:13 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
OP, on rides when I need it, I apply directly to the chamois before the start of the ride, concentrating on the areas where irritation might occur.

It frustrates me to continually see people claiming "it's unnecessary" or "you must have a bad fit" or anything along those lines. People are different. Different people's skin is different. For every guy that can ride a double century in cargo shorts, there's half a dozen that can barely withstand 3 hours in the saddle regardless of what's protecting their undercarriage. I don't need cream often, but I do need it sometimes. And I don't look down on anyone that applies it every ride. If you need it, you need it.

The idea of "using too much" is put forth by your wallet. I use the cheap stuff (Udderly Smooth Chamois Cream) and even applying it liberally, get well over a year out of each 8oz tub.
Old 06-25-20, 01:37 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
For me, the typical ride under 100 miles isn't an issue. I've spent many years dialing in my saddles & bibs, and toughening up the skin 'down there'.

When I'm going for century+ rides, I like to apply the cream to my fingers and rub the cream in the known problem areas (rubbing on the bibs is more challenging to be sure you're hitting the right spots).

On the other hand, I find nearly every ride on Zwift (trainer) needs cream ... something about not moving around as much really wears down the same skin the whole time.

Funny note: my support driver on the DAMn (aka wife) enjoys sharing the fun at check points ... all the riders digging around in their bibs to clean up and reapply By check point 3 (~186 miles), there's no modesty left.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 06-25-20, 02:22 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesniffer
So I purchased a Assos Chafing cream and will apply that for my coming up weekend ride. My question is how much should I apply? Should I apply it on the pad as well as my inner thigh or just the thigh/crotch area? Thanks for any help.
Hmmmm, no other way to say it than this.........get you some cream on your hand and rub the figs quite liberally until you feel like you were in prison and quite possibly violated while you slept!
Old 06-25-20, 05:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
I used to not use any at all, then I started using it only on longer rides, because it works - more comfortable, less friction. Recently I started using it on all rides, because it's more comfortable for them, too. It seems to help the bibs fit better and keep everything in place.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-25-20, 05:32 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I always use it on all rides, not for chafing but for its antibacterial properties. It sucks to get boils or inflamed hair follicles on your ass, and I'd rather use a cream 100 times than get one badly placed pimple.
Old 06-26-20, 07:57 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
As mentioned already, I still remember seeing an interview w/ Lance Armstrong where he was preparing his shorts for a race and I think he put about 20 gallons of cream on his shorts while talking. I suppose that when you're not paying for it, apply liberally! I, too, use it primarily for anti-bacterial purposes.

To save on money as the official cycling brands of saddle cream are quite expensive, I've experimented with various creams used for baby diaper rash that are readily available at the local WalMart or Walgreens for considerably less money For example, A+D Diaper Rash Ointment. I figure if it's good enough for a baby's butt, it's good enough for mine! My experience has been that these creams work but are far more greasy than the official cycling creams. It does come-out just fine in the wash, so if you can deal with the baby creams being a little greasy, they're a little cheaper.

Old 06-26-20, 08:10 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
My wife and I call it "Butt Lube", though I would refrain from doing a Google search for that product. I put a tablespoon amount on two fingers and apply it to the sit spots only. Chamois Butt'r is my go to brand.
Old 06-26-20, 08:47 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
As mentioned already, I still remember seeing an interview w/ Lance Armstrong where he was preparing his shorts for a race and I think he put about 20 gallons of cream on his shorts while talking. I suppose that when you're not paying for it, apply liberally! I, too, use it primarily for anti-bacterial purposes.

To save on money as the official cycling brands of saddle cream are quite expensive, I've experimented with various creams used for baby diaper rash that are readily available at the local WalMart or Walgreens for considerably less money For example, A+D Diaper Rash Ointment. I figure if it's good enough for a baby's butt, it's good enough for mine! My experience has been that these creams work but are far more greasy than the official cycling creams. It does come-out just fine in the wash, so if you can deal with the baby creams being a little greasy, they're a little cheaper.
Non-water-soluble stuff like A&D, Aquaphor, or other petroleum jelly-based products don't wash off your chamois or your skin easily and make a mess. They are useful for keeping abraded or ulcerated skin moist when required to reduce pain and promote healing, but have no other use. The proper stuff is more expensive, but it washes off easily.
Old 06-26-20, 09:33 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I used to use chamois cream only on "longer" rides, but over time I've started using it more and more. I've been using it on basically every ride now. I use Chamois Butt'r, simply because it's readily available. I put a little put on the pad itself and rub it in.
Old 06-26-20, 10:26 AM
kcjc

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
I just put a light application on the chamois where I normally get irritations. The last time I used it was on a three hour trainer ride where I was getting things conditioned for indoor training about six months ago. Probably should have put some on two weeks ago during my last four hour trainer ride as the bib didn't feel right when it started to dry out in the last hour (I'm a heavy sweater). I normally don't use it and prior to last use was my first double century the year prior. Surprisingly, the cream was still around after the double. I have >half a tube of Beljum Budder left after some 5 years (most of which went to revitalizing an old pair of bibs with real sheep chamois I had since the early 90s for sentimental reasons). I have also used the give away, single 9 ml package, Chamois Butt'r on the Death Ride (Tour of California Alps). It was more than enough but YMMV.
Old 06-27-20, 09:27 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
I used anti-chafe cream when I used to run more than 5 miles. I've used chamois cream for every ride (and I only ride 90 minutes at a time so far). The other day, I was listening to a podcast and heard guys say that they don't use it every time. I honestly thought everyone used it every time. The podcast host said that using cream every time makes you "too soft" and hindered "building up hardness in the affected skin area." He said he only uses it on longer rides.
This made me wonder if I should back off, so I'm going to start doing recovery rides without and see how it feels.
I've been riding 6 months and luckily haven't had any issues related to saddle sores or chafing.
(somehow I'm a "senior member" on this board now, which is slightly concerning).
I dont know about "building up hardness in the affected skin area" - I am not sure callouses on my taint are something that I want

That said, i dont use chamois cream except on rides of 2.5-3 hours or longer. For my weekly 1-1.5 hour rides, i dont bother.

And to answer the OP - i generally apply a bit in the areas that are prone to rubbing - all over the taint and the crease/inner thighs.
Old 06-27-20, 11:14 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesniffer
Good morning everyone! I am relatively new to road cycling and I am enjoying it. I have been gradually increasing my distance on the weekends. I first started with 6-10 mile rides with no problems for about a year. Then I bumped it up to about 15-20 miles again with no problems. Once I hit the 25-30 mile mark I started to develop some chafing on my inner right leg area near my junk. So I purchased a Assos Chafing cream and will apply that for my coming up weekend ride. My question is how much should I apply? Should I apply it on the pad as well as my inner thigh or just the thigh/crotch area? Thanks for any help.
Assuming it’s a group ride just have one of the more experienced riders apply it for you.
If not a group ride you can use your LBS.
These days just make sure whoever does it uses a mask
Likes For downhillmaster:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.