Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bike Storage

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Bike Storage

Old 06-30-20, 09:10 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Bike Storage

I have moved into a new place and I am looking for some ideas on how to store my bike as well as my Girlfriend's. We are a small storage space on the ground level which is convenient, walk in and drop it off and then up to our place. I would like to get the best bang for buck in regards to usable space. This means I will have to get one of the bikes up off the ground. The studs on the wall are oddly spaced. The most center studs are spaced out 24 inches where as the studs on either side are 12 inches. I would like to have it as basic as possible, just hang it up but the frame. I am thinking I will also loosen the stem so I can turn the handle bars (otherwise they will take up more space). I have some pictures to help with the thought process.

The reason for posting this in the MTB thread is that most other bikes don't have to worry about rear suspension. The transition in the photo, which is the lady's, has a more suitable frame for mounting in the same direction that the photo is showing.
The stud closest to the rear wheel would go through the rear triangle, which isn't ideal. I am going to leave the photos and see if anyone has any ideas. And if you know how to make these photos smaller, I would like to know that too haha.
Old 06-30-20, 09:55 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Hang them, maybe one upside down. You can screw in a 2x4 up high across any two or more studs and put hooks into the bottom of it. Let the tire not in the hook rest against the wall. I doubt that is the most efficient use of space but no bike changes required

Last edited by u235; 07-01-20 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 04:49 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I have four of this:

I placed them in a way that they allow me to hang four bikes alternating handlebars up and handlebars down. I can fit 4 bikes in a width inferior than 2m, although if I want to remove a bike that is facing down, I need to first remove the closest facing-up bike to have enough space. Next year I'm probably moving to a bigger house and I'd probably place the hangers with more separation to avoid this issue, and to be able to hang all bikes facing upawards as it's alot easier to hang them this way.

Being only two bikes, you could simply put 2 hangers at different heights so one bike does not interfere with the other when hanging them.

Before somebody asks, I have had no issues with hydraulic brakes or suspension forks on the 7 years I have used this system. I thought that maybe there would be problems with the hydraulic brakes of the bikes that faced down, but so far this hasn't been the case.

In the picture you can see 3 bikes hanging and a folding bike parked below (I don't hang it. If it bothers me I fold it below the others).

Last edited by Amt0571; 07-01-20 at 04:52 AM.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 07-01-20, 06:40 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
As mentioned above, using a 2x4 to span the studs horizontally will let you mount a hook anywhere you want.

loosening the stem and turning the bars every time you take out and put away the bikes sounds like PITA to me, though they will certainly take up a lot less room.
Old 07-01-20, 07:43 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
As mentioned above, using a 2x4 to span the studs horizontally will let you mount a hook anywhere you want.

loosening the stem and turning the bars every time you take out and put away the bikes sounds like PITA to me, though they will certainly take up a lot less room.
If you have a perfectly straight bars OCD like me, loosening the stem is not an option. I have stopped several times in the middle of a ride, even multiple times on the same ride, to PERFECTLY center a handlebar. I have even centered a handlebar with the multi-tool while riding hands free to avoid my friends having to wait for me (I'm not responsible for your physical integrity if you try to do this).

Last edited by Amt0571; 07-01-20 at 07:46 AM.