Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Not much draft from a hawk

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Not much draft from a hawk

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-20, 12:16 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Most of you would never believe it but Manhattan is filled with several types of hawks as well as falcons and owls. Lots of food here and high perches for them. Perfect habitat.

At the top of Harlem Hill in Central Park there are nesting areas. Hawks and Falcons sit atop the traffic lights and just watch the joggers and cyclists. One day a Peregrine grabbed a pigeon out of the air about 20 feet in front of me.

Amazing to see such a bird so close.
Old 06-27-20, 12:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
I was buzzed by a bald eagle on the way to the polls on Election Day in 2016. Other than seeming ominous it was much like the OP’s encounter.

A few months after that I was riding to work in the dawn light and came upon a freshly killed turkey on the bike trail. She was likely done in by a bobcat or coyote, though it’s fun to think it was a cougar. She had an intact unlaid egg in the remains. Another omen, surely. Riding by the crime scene on the way home, the carcass had been dragged uphill a bit and no sign of the egg.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-27-20 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-27-20, 01:07 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
One morning I was putting along on the San Luis Rey MUP and a roadrunner came trotting up the bank and turned onto the path right in front of me. He was doing the same speed I was and trotted down the path for about 15 yds. before turning back down the embankment.

Last week I was riding down Coast highway on a section along the bluff just above the beach and as I was looking down at the surf an osprey flew up level to me. He was carrying what appeared to be a juvenile white sea bass in his talons. He was going the same direction and about the same speed I was. I studied him for a bit before he veered offshore.
Old 06-27-20, 01:08 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And don’t get me started on the aggressive Magpies we encountered during the trip.
We must not have many Aussies on BF, because from the stories I've heard of their magpies they'd fill up this thread pretty quick. I never encountered it myself.

I know Australia magpies are a different species from Irish magpies, but are Cascades magpies a different one again?
Old 06-27-20, 01:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

All the magpies in the northern hemisphere are related, though there are local species or subspecies. Near my old home there was a neighborhood flock of yellow billed magpies. They didn't ever do anything noteworthy in front of me but they were very distinctive.

By Bill Bouton - Flickr: Yellow-billed Magpie, Pica nuttalli, CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...curid=19556089
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-27-20, 02:22 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Yeah, the Irish one's a bit different. They have a reputation for liking shiny things and stealing bits of foil and metal and occasionally jewellery to line their nests.

The Aussie one, by contrast, is, like most of their wildlife, a bit of a bloody bastard;
Likes For Leinster:
Old 06-27-20, 03:51 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
The bird probably stopped because you weren't in proper drafting formation.

You know why the right line of the formation is longer than the left??
Old 06-27-20, 04:05 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
That's just the way they do it in the Northern Hemisphere. In the Southern Hemisphere, the left side is longer.
Old 06-27-20, 04:18 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
That's just the way they do it in the Northern Hemisphere. In the Southern Hemisphere, the left side is longer.
No, it's because there are more birds in the right line.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 06-27-20, 04:20 PM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
While working in Louisiana a few years ago, I joined a local group ride. I was told to be prepared for a group sprint as we headed down a certain country road. As we passed an otherwise unspectacular house on this road, two Great Pyrenees...and a really pissed off goose...vectored out of the yard and chased the group down the road, the goose the definite pack leader, honking and flapping and slapping its webbed feet on the the road as fast as they could carry it. The dogs were definitely in it just for the fun but the goose had certain murder in its frenetic fury. What a hoot.

Keith
Likes For trainsktg:
Old 06-27-20, 04:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
We must not have many Aussies on BF, because from the stories I've heard of their magpies they'd fill up this thread pretty quick. I never encountered it myself.

I know Australia magpies are a different species from Irish magpies, but are Cascades magpies a different one again?
Don’t remember seeing any in the Cascades. Definitely later in the trip.
Old 06-27-20, 04:44 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
Years ago while I was living in Chico, CA, I got a demonstration of just how aggressive red shoulder black birds can be...
I can relate I've had them do this too me as well, but been lucky enough to avoid the flocks wrath.

My favorite are sand pipers, who will fly just infront of you as they try and "lure" you from their nest.
Old 06-27-20, 04:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain

My favorite are sand pipers, who will fly just infront of you as they try and "lure" you from their nest.
Crossing the country we encountered a species of bird that would fly along with us, land by the side of the road and act like it had a broken wing. We assumed it was trying to distract us from a nest.
Old 06-27-20, 05:14 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 628 Times in 472 Posts
Crossing the country we encountered a species of bird that would fly along with us, land by the side of the road and act like it had a broken wing. We assumed it was trying to distract us from a nest.
Yup that's a sand piper!

Oh another cool one this morning, a flock of birds was on the rail trail around 5:30am as the sun was just up, as I came upon them they kind of flew up and then back down as a group just ahead of me. They kept doing this, kind of swirling motion for a mile until they pulled off into a field.
Old 06-27-20, 07:09 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by one4smoke
Because birds can't count

Kildeer in Arizona do the same injured-wing bit
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-27-20, 11:59 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Oakman
On this morning's ride, over my left shoulder swoops a red-tailed hawk. He dropped down and leveled off directly in front of me, staying about 10 feet ahead for maybe 30 seconds. Then he quickly accelerates to a low hanging branch to perch and watch me pass below. I gave him a salute and I swear he expressed a kinda smile. Beautiful animal.

Got any bike/bird stories?

Red tail hawks are beautiful creatures! not bicycle, but have a falconer friend. One day on a hunt, the Bird latched eyes on a 3-4 year old child with a hood up. I raised my hand/arm to have the kid stop, the bird (Sally) was too low so she decided to just perch on me. 1. wow heavier than they look! 2. Super gentle with talons. 3. Talons are super sharp, I would not want to be on the receiving end of a bird using talons!

only real bird interaction I have ever had on bicycle was a Pileated Woodpecker dropping out onto the MTB trail ahead of me and then flying down the trail in front of me. They kind of fly like a duck. I never realized that.

On the road I occasionally see a red tailed hawk or a coopers hawk sitting on electric poles. Usually I run into packs of Turkey buzzards camping road kill. Those birds like to take off and circle back quickly, and they will drop a LOAD, huge load to gain altitude quickly if you are too close. Give em space!

Last edited by Metieval; 06-28-20 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-28-20, 12:13 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by SalsaShark
I once had a bald eagle encounter very similar to the OP's story. It was super cool, and i wanted to look up continuously, but had to split time between watching the giant bird, and watching the road. It's funny how something like following a bird in flight can, for a few moments, suddenly become the only thing in the world that occupies one's thoughts.
I've had them fly 20' directly overhead for long distances. Cool but a little unnerving. He's (I"m guessing he) watching me the whole time and I cannot twist my neck enough to see him.

Edit: I got ot be introduced to a peregrine falcon at the local Audubon Society. On his trainer's arm, 2 feet in front of me. What a beautiful and noble bird! Now I know why they appear in so many old shields and coats of arms.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 06-28-20 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-28-20, 01:22 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I was chased by an Alpha Goose when I stopped on the MUP to watch the flock so I rode away. At a Skyline Drive parking lot there were a bunch of turkey vultures hanging around waiting for food scraps. Driving near my house I saw a bald eagle flying over the road & being harried by crows & sparrows, I'm surprised to read that's quite common. On local MUP a bat bumped into my shoulder, I had thought their nifty sonar prevented that.
It’s not fool proof. Went to pack up my bike for a trip out west and found a bat impaled on the small chainring. I must have hit it while I was driving home from an all-day event ride to Brooklyn. The bike was on the roof.
I can attest to that... One hit me in the face/helmet while was going ~30 a few weeks ago during a late-night ride.

​​​​​​​I don't think the poor creature survived.
Old 06-29-20, 10:38 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Plenty of vultures here - occasionally I'll turn a blind corner and surprise a flock (?) head down in some roadkill. They all lumber into the air, sometimes coming within a few feet as they try to gain altitude. Probably no surprise, but vultures are pretty fragrant creatures, and not in a good way
Be careful surprising vultures. Their main defense mechanism when trying to quickly get airborne is to defecate. It makes them lighter, and distracts predators. You've been warned.
Old 06-29-20, 11:17 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I've has orioles fly alongside me a few times. It might have been the bright orange gloves I was wearing.

Sometimes I can see owls hovering over the rail trail. From a distance, the owls can look like people walking.
Old 06-29-20, 04:56 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Speaking of Aussies, worked for a couple of weeks in Canberra Australia. Noticed all the bicyclists had zip ties in their helmets, sort of a porcupine look. When I asked one of them why they said there was some bird in the area that was extremely territorial and would dive bomb bikers. Said the zip ties kept them from hitting the helmets. I don't remember the type of bird but maybe a magpie?

Beautiful birds in Australia. A bike tour in that country is on my bucket list.
Old 06-29-20, 06:40 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
On the bike I've been attacked by Canada geese from the ground. (Big mouth and teeth like "Jaws ") Also by a wild turkey. One day I was paced by a big egret around 25 yards off my right. He stopped in a field, and when I took out my phone for a picture, he took off. Couple of nights ago, there was a big commotion in a pine tree near us. A big red tail was being harrassed by a little, but very loud, Cooper's hawk, then later by a silly mocking bird, after the small hawk gave up. Heres a few pictures.

Cooper's hawk attacking red tail, top of tree.

Loud Cooper's hawk

Even the mocking bird got into it.

Angry mocking bird.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 06-30-20, 08:09 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Let's talk turkey. Climbing Dobson Pass from Wallace, ID.

These dumb things are all over the place here in MA, you are guaranteed to seem them early mornings or late afternoons. Mostly grazing in the fields or lawns, but sometimes they slowly, stupidly waltz across the road (just like in the picture!), stopping to stare at you.
This one late evening I was on a quiet gravel trail and one of them on the side got spooked and started running away, in front of me. It was kind of fun, I picked up the pace, but then I learned that these things not only can run super fast, they are also decent flyers!
Old 06-30-20, 12:40 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
After a ride, slowed to a stop, unclipped. While still straddling the top tube (clicking through cycle computer screens), a catbird alit (alighted? hmmm) upon my handlebars. Gave me the eye, flew away after a few seconds. No idea what he wanted.

Passing by a large pine tree in someone's yard on a ride, saw a red tailed hawk chase a squirrel around the trunk a couple of times before he gave up.

I've seen kingfishers a couple of times, ditto Baltimore Orioles.

Bald eagles, a few times. One was pretty big and close, perching in a tree, others were over the river.

Too many turkey encounters to enumerate, including pairs of Toms having display contests (most springs). I generally give them a "gobble gobble", on consecutive rides near the same place/at same time of day (prob. same flock), the Tom gobbled back at me, prob. thought I was after his hens.

Midtown Manhattan is less than 45 min. away by car (no traffic).
Old 07-01-20, 02:50 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
The beginning of my commute is through the Arcata Marsh, and in the winter it's very dark. Too dark to see which birds I was surprising; every morning that one pond exploded in cheeping and the sound of birds paddle-flapping away.

Lots of non-migrating Canada geese (from a distance); once during hunting season I was riding along and a shot rang out, and hundreds of geese flew up and over my head. It was amazing. As much as I wanted to see them pass, I followed my own saying; 'Wise is (s)he who looks not at birds overhead.' So many egrets, some herons, every type of waterfowl you can imagine, and a variety of raptors, including kites, hawks, and barn owls.

Crossing the last bridge into Eureka I sometimes see a kingfisher perched on the phone wire 10 feet away and about level with my head; it's pretty cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.