Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Catastrophic Carbon Fibre Frame Failures

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Catastrophic Carbon Fibre Frame Failures

Old 07-06-20, 11:30 AM
AMGwagon

Bikes: Seven Axiom XX '18; Seven Aerios '06; Seven Sola '04 and others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Otherwise known as crabon asplosions. We’ve all heard the legends, but I’m wondering how many BF members have actually experienced one. Paint chips don’t count. If you know a guy, that counts, but only if you saw the actual failure. Please relate your experiences.
Yes... I worked in a bike shop in the 90s and we'd get the occasional brake typically at a joint. It's why Vitus screw-and glue types of lugged carbon frames where discontinued. More recently (in this century), a friend just replaced his Boardman CF bike and given our being in the US, it was not covered for warranty replacement. So I talked him into Ti and he'll never need a new frame again.
Old 07-06-20, 02:47 PM
lazurm

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I do

A member of My Bicycle Club died after a failure of his new carbon frame on a new bicycle. The top tube failed while riding. He fell over the handlebars and died. He was wearing a helmet also.

Otherwise known as crabon asplosions. We’ve all heard the legends, but I’m wondering how many BF members have actually experienced one. Paint chips don’t count. If you know a guy, that counts, but only if you saw the actual failure. Please relate your experiences.
Old 07-06-20, 05:09 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by AMGwagon
... So I talked him into Ti and he'll never need a new frame again.
Famous last words!
Old 07-06-20, 05:21 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,885 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Famous last words!
Truly. Litespeed warranty.
Old 07-06-20, 08:52 PM
Boerd

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RSL 2018, Passoni Titanio 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 8 Posts
Materials fail at a much lower rate than we make mistakes in bike maintenance, handling, etc. It would more useful to get a list of most common human errors that cause bike accidents rather than failing materials stories. For example pinching a tube when installing a clincher then having a blowout, etc

Last edited by Boerd; 07-06-20 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 06:16 AM
Bfusr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crabon asplosions
Old 07-07-20, 06:18 AM
melville

Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

From an old friend and framebuilder. More here, not just carbon:

Broken Bikes & Parts

We worked at the same shop, I was in repair and retail, he was the head custom guy in the (steel and Ti) frameshop. We had several customers with early Kestrels who (it seemed, anyway) were sending them back once a year to repair a crack here or a split there. It didn't seem like it was ever the same place twice. No doubt, if they'd kept riding they'd probably have failed in some spectacular way.
Old 07-07-20, 06:25 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,885 Times in 1,646 Posts
Broken steel bike frames

Broken titanium bike frames

Broken aluminum bike frames
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-07-20, 07:29 AM
AMGwagon

Bikes: Seven Axiom XX '18; Seven Aerios '06; Seven Sola '04 and others

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Wow... insane number of Ti failures in there... thx for sharing.
Old 07-07-20, 10:06 AM
Twang -O- Doom

Bikes: Cadex CFM-1

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
1994 or so, a group of us freshmen were jumping our bikes at a hump near the parking spot of a local MTB trail.

Tall lanky guy lands and I think it was the headtube failed on him. **** was eaten. I think he got a few stitches and maybe a concussion.

1990's Giant Cadex with a 180-200lb rider catching air.

I think those were bonded to aluminum lugs if I remember correctly. I can't imagine something like that happening on even the cheapest open mold modern carbon frame.
I used to do stuff like that all the time on my Cadex, destroyed the rockshock mag 20 but the frame lives on with zero assplosions in the last 28 years. Granted Im also 28 years older now and don't tend to beat on stuff like I used to.
Old 07-07-20, 01:21 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
base2, my husband's Trek Domane also has a hole in it. His water bottle holder lost a screw which wedged itself into the frame next to the chainrings. He unscrewed it to get it out. I convinced him the next day to use his Gunner instead on a hill ride. We'll see if Trek will replace the frame.
Old 07-08-20, 08:57 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by BadGrandma
base2, my husband's Trek Domane also has a hole in it. His water bottle holder lost a screw which wedged itself into the frame next to the chainrings. He unscrewed it to get it out. I convinced him the next day to use his Gunner instead on a hill ride. We'll see if Trek will replace the frame.
Yikes! I suppose a great deal depends on how events unfolded. If it looks pretty mangled then having a Trek shop do their thing certainly wouldn't hurt. If nothing else just for reassurance.

Whether they warrenty the frame for dropping a bolt is anyone's guess, but I think you could make the case that a wedged bolt & a wedged chain really are different in that a bolt puts all the force in a single point, unlike a chain that would wedge with the same force over a large area.

"Freak thing happened while riding with this shop installed bolt." might have a different outcome than "I dropped it."

Good luck, I hope they can determine a suitable outcome for you.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 05-09-21, 03:51 PM
Beachcycle

Bikes: Hybrid

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Since it wasn't mentioned in this post, Outside magazine wrote an article on carbon failures.

Perhaps the most disturbing part is bike companies like Giant routinely trying to dodge responsibility through subsidiaries that blame each other or have no presence in the US.

https://www.outsideonline.com/231181...the%20material.

There's also this from NPR. Of a Time bike, a high end French brand, "The results were that it was bad epoxy. That's what the expert said. It wasn't really made well."

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/18/63982...f-counterfeits

Worth remembering that carbon fiber is used in aviation which has an incredibly strong safety record, especially when you remove the human error and engine/software failures. So carbon failures are not an inherent property of the material.
Old 05-09-21, 06:27 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
So based on the responses in this thread, there is no evidence that CF frames fail catastrophically unless involved in a crash or subjected to some other external force.
In my personal experience, no catastrophic failures. My avatar bike became mine after it developed a crack near the front of the seat. It was patched by the owner and ridden the rest of the summer until the warranty replacement was available. After acquiring the frame, I repaired several subsequent cracks that developed at the back of the seat/headrest area. At no time was the bike unrideable.
Old 05-09-21, 10:01 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
The only carbon asplosion I personally witnessed was this one time I decided on colonoscopy without anesthesia
(true story)

barrrumpsh
OWWWWW. Not fun.
Old 05-10-21, 08:28 AM
prj71

Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,166 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachcycle
Since it wasn't mentioned in this post, Outside magazine wrote an article on carbon failures.

Perhaps the most disturbing part is bike companies like Giant routinely trying to dodge responsibility through subsidiaries that blame each other or have no presence in the US.

https://www.outsideonline.com/231181...the%20material.
Kind of a dumb article. Lady buys a used bike and has no idea if it's been crashed or not by the previous owner(s) then sues Giant.
Old 05-12-21, 07:04 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
I had a verified genuine carbon fiber seat post assplode on my MTB. It was also verified to not be due to crush forces. It just plain sheared off.

I have also had an aluminum handlebar fail due to metal fatigue.

And, the chain stays on a steel frame fail due to metal fatigue.

Oh, and a head tube get bashed out of round on a steel frame HT MTB.

Is it maybe being 240 pounds?
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 05-26-21, 12:15 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I've got a "new to me" carbon fiber bike. It's a specialized Epic. Vintage 1993. I believe that it's one of the first mass-produced carbon bikes made. A very interesting bike. The carbon fiber "tubes" are joined by some kind of alloy lugs. The tubes are straight gauge stuff. Sort of like fishing poles. Specialized guaranteed these frames to last a lifetime. It's a beautiful bike and, it rides like a dream. Very quiet. Doesn't creak or wiggle around like my steels & aluminum bikes.

Likes For ramzilla:
Old 05-26-21, 06:21 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
I saw a video fairly recently of a pro rider stopping to change bikes (Ridley) after his seat tube snapped halfway up - he didn't crash by the way, just stopped at the roadside. It looked like an odd place for the frame to break, until someone in the comments showed a photo of their team car with the spare bikes on the roof. They were clamped by the bike carrier at the exact point on the frame where this one had failed. So just be careful when carrying carbon bikes with frame clamped carriers. Carbon tubes are particularly sensitive to being compressed or loaded in a way they are not designed for.

As for my personal experience of carbon frames, it's all been good. My first carbon frame was a mid 90s Cadex with bonded lugged joints very similar to the Specialized above. I rode that frame for about a decade without any issues before selling it on. I've had several since, both mtb and road. All fine.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-26-21, 06:54 AM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Been riding with a friend for 30+ years, he's heavy but not obese with powerful legs and tends to crunch big gears, he's hard on bikes. He's broken several frames over the years but the only broken CF frame was the result of hitting a tree though he was able to ride it out of the woods. He once broke an aluminum rear triangle of a mtn bike with a CF main frame.
Old 05-26-21, 08:00 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
I've got a "new to me" carbon fiber bike. It's a specialized Epic. Vintage 1993. I believe that it's one of the first mass-produced carbon bikes made. A very interesting bike. The carbon fiber "tubes" are joined by some kind of alloy lugs. The tubes are straight gauge stuff. Sort of like fishing poles. Specialized guaranteed these frames to last a lifetime. It's a beautiful bike and, it rides like a dream. Very quiet. Doesn't creak or wiggle around like my steels & aluminum bikes.

Beautiful looking bike. I guess I did not realize carbon went that far back. Hopefully, the epoxies or glue or paste has an infinite life. ENJOY.