Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Building two Brompton clones

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Building two Brompton clones

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 12:15 PM
Pahana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I'm late to this discussion so maybe this has been answered. Every once and a while I go to ebay and search Brompton to see what's new. More and more I'm seeing clone ti frames, forks and rear triangles. How is Brompton letting this go on? Can't they stop this. What is going on there. I'm ignorant but this on the surface seems to be easy to stop. I can understand selling parts upgrades but frames seems like copyright infringement.
Old 05-19-20, 05:55 PM
leinadhok

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing your build journey.
Old 05-22-20, 10:26 AM
bugly64
Share the road.

Bikes: 1992 Rocky Mountain Fusion, Yuba Mundo, 2008 Brompton M3L, 2021 Espin Nero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Pahana
I'm late to this discussion so maybe this has been answered. Every once and a while I go to ebay and search Brompton to see what's new. More and more I'm seeing clone ti frames, forks and rear triangles. How is Brompton letting this go on? Can't they stop this. What is going on there. I'm ignorant but this on the surface seems to be easy to stop. I can understand selling parts upgrades but frames seems like copyright infringement.
Here's an article about such happenings. It's interesting that Dahon sued someone when the Curl is a blatant rip off of the Brompton. https://www.bikebiz.com/folding-bike...-to-be-jailed/
Old 05-22-20, 03:54 PM
bee-man

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
According to lexology: "The manufacturing is complex and the company designs all of its own tooling. Keeping this know how within the company makes the bike difficult to copy and helps to keep the company a step ahead of potential competitors." I remember Will Butler-Adams saying this in an interview as well.

Some good info here as well:
https://www.gov.uk/government/case-s...perty-brompton

Last edited by bee-man; 05-22-20 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-23-20, 04:17 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
These explanations seems to me at least partially bull****:
And no one would have a clue how we do it. Even if you downloaded all our drawings, it would still take you two years to make a really good bike. By then, we would be producing something different anyway.
says Butler-Adams
The Brompton bike didn't change since more than 10 years !

The only "improvements" were some components changes, part of them to reduce the bill of material, part because the replaced components weren't available anymore.

Most of the "new" components are heavier than their predecessors (crankset, brake levers, shifters...) resulting in a bike weight increase.

All this is the results of a CEO aiming only at profit increase !

Butler-Adams built new company offices with a doubled production capacity... but Brompton sales are stagnating (while the global cycle industry sales are booming).

For remembrance, Andrew Ritchie, left the company disgusted by Butler-Adams company management.
Old 05-23-20, 06:14 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
The Brompton bike didn't change since more than 10 years !

The only "improvements" were some components changes, part of them to reduce the bill of material, part because the replaced components weren't available anymore.

Most of the "new" components are heavier than their predecessors (crankset, brake levers, shifters...) resulting in a bike weight increase.
Yes, I noticed myself this half-full glass!
Old 05-23-20, 06:54 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Its really a pity because the Brompton is an excellent bike and with some minor changes it would become even much better (allowance for wider tires, modern transmission like its done by Kinetics... if a single man company can do all what he does on the Brompton, how is it possible that a company cannot).
Old 07-07-20, 06:03 PM
AeroNautiCal

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
Its really a pity because the Brompton is an excellent bike and with some minor changes it would become even much better (allowance for wider tires, modern transmission like its done by Kinetics... if a single man company can do all what he does on the Brompton, how is it possible that a company cannot).
Your "single man company" observation speaks volumes about the management of their current CEO...
Old 07-07-20, 06:12 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts

its quite simple: their pattents are expired.
thats why the can make those copycat and walks
Old 07-27-21, 12:20 AM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Sorry, Raxel.

I forgot about this thread. After getting a Brompton, I have to completely agree with you. Excellent fold. Okay ride. Nice luggage options. Horrible, overpriced, unnecessarily proprietary parts. Built like a boat anchor.........and that's a fully upgraded M6R with titanium seatpost, dynos, etc.

I'd love to pick your brain for a possible build around an EasyTi frame