Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Feeling something once per rotation

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-08-20, 08:14 PM
RowdyTI

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Once every rotation I am feeling some kind of catching, roughness, or burr sensation on the right side of my bike. I seem to think this happened after some exposure to rain, but I can't be certain. Any ideas what it could be? The rotation is otherwise perfectly smooth except for one consistent catching sensation only on the right/drive train side of the bike.

On an unrelated note, but in the same thread to avoid excessively cluttering the board, I feel like I don't have enough high gears when I am on smooth or downhill terrain on this 11-speed bike. I get on the hardest gear and want more power, but the gear system already is maxed out. Does anyone else have this issue?

My regular bike was a 27-speed 29er and I miss it. This gear system feels like a downgrade in this regard.

Last edited by RowdyTI; 07-08-20 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 08:26 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Once per rotation of the wheels or the crank? This will help narrow down where to look. If once per crank rotation it is likely related to the crank, pedals/cleats, bottom bracket or chainrings. If at wheel speed then look to wheels/rims/tires, axle/bearing or cassette.
Regarding gearing, use this calculator to compare: https://www.kstoerz.com/gearcalc/compare/
Old 07-08-20, 08:46 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's at the crank. I feel it in my foot once every pedal rotation. I thought it was perfectly smooth until the rain exposure I had. But it wasn't much exposure so I don't know if that makes any sense. Like I say, I can tell it's just on the right foot. It's quite annoying feeling it every pedal rotation.
Old 07-08-20, 08:51 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Take the chain off and then spin the crank
Old 07-08-20, 08:53 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
I just had the same clunking, getting worse. It was worse when pushing very lightly.
It was my pedals with over 30,000 miles. LOL They have been so loose they would spin 10 times when flicked.
I have a CF chaincase that amplifies all the sounds.
Old 07-08-20, 09:16 PM
RowdyTI

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Two more observations after taking it for another spin: it's not noticeable when backpedaling, and I feel it only when the chain is under meaningful tension. For example, I don't feel it when pedalling easily going down an incline. It's not so much a noise as it is a nagging feeling like you might have a clicking joint in your knee that never goes away - that sort of thing.
Old 07-09-20, 05:28 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Is it at the top or bottom of your pedal stroke?

When this sort of thing has happened to me in the past it has either been pedal bearings, a loose bottom bracket, and just recently frame/crankset flex causing the rings to scrape each rotation.

Re greasing and adjusting the BB is first step, examine all bearing surfaces for damage. Do the same to the pedals if possible. Also check the torque on your chainring bolts.

As for flex, I ended up replacing the crankset with an upgraded Campy unit. Bike is 40 years old so the OEM part just wasn't up to it anymore.
Old 07-09-20, 05:30 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Lots of possibilties - loose crank arm, worn/loose bottom bracket bearings, worn/loose pedal bearings, maybe even a loose chainring bolt or a single damaged tooth on the chainring.
Old 07-09-20, 06:26 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by RowdyTI
It's at the crank. I feel it in my foot once every pedal rotation. I thought it was perfectly smooth until the rain exposure I had. But it wasn't much exposure so I don't know if that makes any sense. Like I say, I can tell it's just on the right foot. It's quite annoying feeling it every pedal rotation.
I have plugged in you data into my service/maintenance program and will have a solution soon. Stay be this thread.
Old 07-09-20, 08:34 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Is this a 1x11 setup? If so, see if the experience is better/worse based on what gear you're in. That would tell you if chain angle is a factor.
Old 07-09-20, 12:07 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I've had this happen when I put new pedals on all three of my bikes.

Drop some lube into the pedal threads. If this works. Remove the pedals and thoroughly grease up the threads, reinstall and tighten.