Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Miyata 914 I'm not sure what to do with it.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Miyata 914 I'm not sure what to do with it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 12:14 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Yes, that end of the stem is the quill, and it should be 22.2mm. Try to clean out the steerer with a rag, and maybe some fine steel wool and a bit of oil. Also, yes, don’t force it, and don’t forget a thin layer of grease on the new quill to avoid any corrosion.

These parts all have tight tolerances and need a little patience.
Old 06-16-20, 12:16 PM
Rdytoroll

Bikes: 1991 Miyata Nine 14, 2009 Scott Sub 20 - Converted to Mid Drive E-Bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks all. I will try that. What bothers me is that the old stem fits so easily while the new one will only insert an inch or two. I even removed the long bolt and the jam to see if it will go.
Old 06-16-20, 12:27 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

I would think the last resort is not to whack it in, but to take some fine sandpaper to the quill to remove a little material. This is often done with modern 22.2 stems to fit them into 22.0 vintage French steerers. Wrap the quill with paper and rotate the stem so you get even abrasion around the diameter of the quill. Again, there may be something else to try, and someone else will chime in before resorting to sanding.
Old 06-16-20, 12:32 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks I just measured them both using the strip of paper with a line method and they do appear to be the same size. Strange. I'll try cleaning out the steerer first.
Old 06-16-20, 12:42 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks all. After some cleanup all is good. What really threw me off was how easily the old one inserted compared to the new one. New one is actually a much better fit.
Old 06-16-20, 12:45 PM
noobinsf 

I read in another forum that you may want to insert the stem without the wedge to see if there is a difference. It could be that the wedge is working itself into an "installed" position on the way down.

EDIT: Great, glad it worked!
Old 07-08-20, 03:10 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I installed the Nitto Technomic 90mm stem and Noodle 44cm bars. Bike is definitely more comfortable and fun to ride. Maybe I need to tilt the bars down a bit so they are more level? Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 07-08-20 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-08-20, 05:27 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
From the looks of things, I would want to slide the levers upward along the bars until the tips of the lever was even with the lower "edge" of the bars.

Then I would try moving the saddle forward 1cm and upward a bit, followed by leveling the bars.
If you can get the lower half of the body to rotate forward about the crank center, then one can reach lower in front without having to bend any further at the waist!

I often notice that riders move a too-low saddle rearward in order not to feel the back edge of the saddle, but going forward and up works better for most.
Some riders initially will want to be able to keep toes on the ground while sitting on the saddle while stopped. That's fine for a cruiser but not for a road bike imo.
Old 07-08-20, 05:38 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
From the looks of things, I would want to slide the levers upward along the bars until the tips of the lever was even with the lower "edge" of the bars.

Then I would try moving the saddle forward 1cm and upward a bit, followed by leveling the bars.
If you can get the lower half of the body to rotate forward about the crank center, then one can reach lower in front without having to bend any further at the waist!

I often notice that riders move a too-low saddle rearward in order not to feel the back edge of the saddle, but going forward and up works better for most.
Some riders initially will want to be able to keep toes on the ground while sitting on the saddle while stopped. That's fine for a cruiser but not for a road bike imo.
I am pleased with the improved comfort but realize I probably still need to "dial in" the fit and that will probably take some experimenting. I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks!
Old 07-08-20, 09:19 PM
cb400

Bikes: 1990 Rocky Mountain Hammer, 19(7?)?Le Croco, 2000 Mikado Magellan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
I was also about to mention that feeling like you are constantly sliding forwards can be solved by adjusting the seat tilt and where it is clamped on the rails. Getting it right takes a bit of playing around but once you feel like you're not holding yourself from falling forward it's worth it.
Old 07-08-20, 09:50 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
If the seat is at the correct height for you, then you probably need a bigger frame anyway.
the seat is set all the way back...
super long femur for your LH length?
size 48 shoes? Not stating wrong but if it shifted 10-15mm forward the bike will feel 100% differently.
Old 07-09-20, 10:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdytoroll
I installed the Nitto Technomic 90mm stem and Noodle 44cm bars. Bike is definitely more comfortable and fun to ride. Maybe I need to tilt the bars down a bit so they are more level? Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
The levers could slide up higher a bit on the bars to make for a flat transition from ramps to the hoods. Then if the bars pivot downward 15deg or so, they will be flat for the tops, ramps, and drops while still keeping the levers near the same place as they are right now(since they were moved up a touch).

But everyone rides differently since we are all build differently. Hope the changes allow you to enjoy the bike moving forward!
Old 08-07-20, 05:32 PM
Rdytoroll

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Made some adjustments and feel that the bike is now much more comfortable and fun to ride. Thank you all for the excellent suggestions. Still have some work to do on the bike but fit seems much better.

Last edited by Rdytoroll; 08-07-20 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-07-20, 10:41 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Looks like you're finally putting in the miles. Yours is more the "century" or "Rivendell" style setup that many here seem to prefer. Gotta be comfortable and the heads-up position is safer amidst traffic.