Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Amazon trucks blocking bicycle lanes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Amazon trucks blocking bicycle lanes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-20, 07:27 PM
Illgot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wonder if the OP checked for signs. Here in Philadelphia, the sides of streets with bike lanes are usually marked with “No Parking” signs. That does not prohibit stopping. As one parking official explained to me, the difference between stopping and parking is about 15 min.
all bike lanes in my city are no parking (or stopping) save utility and emergency. Utility usually puts up cones, sometimes they just park, emergency always have their lights on, delivery just stops there.
Old 07-10-20, 07:37 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Wonder if the OP checked for signs. Here in Philadelphia, the sides of streets with bike lanes are usually marked with “No Parking” signs. That does not prohibit stopping. As one parking official explained to me, the difference between stopping and parking is about 15 min.
In my small city if you stop your car in the downtown area in a no parking zone and get out of the car you'll get a ticket if the parking enforcement officer sees you. Mt BinL did that to dash into a store to pick up a ready prescription whilst his wife waited in the car. Got a $45.00 ticket and never went downtown again.

Cheers
Old 07-10-20, 07:40 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by wolfchild
If you were to collide with a truck parked in front of you, that would be 100% your fault for not paying attention and for not thinking ahead and for not planning an evasive move....If you got hit while passing the truck, it would also be your fault for not looking back to see if the road was clear... Looking back to see if the road is clear before passing should be a second nature when riding in traffic or use a mirror. A mirror is one of the most useful items you can ever put on your bike.
Funny isn't that a bicycle is the only vehicle allowed on t he road, that is not mandated by law to have a rear view mirror.

Cheers
Old 07-10-20, 07:47 PM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by Illgot
I keep running into Amazon trucks blocking the bicycle lanes. Asked one driver to not block the lanes and he was dismissive, dropped off his package and drove off. What irritated me was he was parked in a parking spot moved 2 houses over and parked in the bicycle lane blocking it.

What happens if I just collide with the truck or have to move into the road and get hit by a car?

edit: lots of mobile spelling issues.
You get that run down feeling and even Geritol isn't going to help you.

It's up to the overtaking vehicle to merge and safely pass a stopped vehicle.

Cheers
Old 07-10-20, 07:52 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyrat
I work for a major utility, if our underground facilities are in the bike lane, or our equipment cabinets are right next to the bike lane, while I'll feel bad for being there, you're going to go around my truck.

I also used to drive trucks, so I wouldn't think twice about a delivery or utility vehicle being parked in the bike lane, I understand the problem. Cars parked for their convenience are a different story.
Answer this then.

WTF is up with the full speed wrong direction driving against traffic to then park the wrong direction to save 20 feet walking for a delivery?

I cussed a guy for this for almost killing me (with my front bright light). I had video and once I said I did he begged for his job. I told him to get on with life but to stop breaking the law to save 20 feet at the cost of lives. He nodded and left.
Old 07-10-20, 08:06 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
bicycle lanes are ADVISORY ONLY
Old 07-10-20, 08:10 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
If you are talking about double parking when the delivery trucks stop to deliver packages, you would have to check local laws and then take it up with the police. Pictures help and something may be done if the delivery service is repeatedly ignoring local driving laws. It would also help to contact the local bike clubs or bike shops, the more people who complain, the more the police will take notice. My experience with approaching the driver doing the violation is not good.
Old 07-10-20, 08:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Right, you look before you step out. No, it doesn't block your view enough to know if your good to go. If you're coming from the curb, as in a delivery driver, you've already looked back before you got to the truck. I've been working in the street a long time and the back of the truck is not a good place to be.
Enough workers get killed that they created attenuator trailers or have 2 vehicles with the rear an unmanned blocker.

Guess I just imagined the couple of delivery guys who just stepped right in front of me in exactly this scenario. Sorry, but I don't think the delivery driver is doing the same things as your work crews. For one obvious difference, the delivery guys are solo. Most delivery drivers absolutely avoid crossing this way because it's incredibly dangerous.
Old 07-10-20, 08:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Illgot
all bike lanes in my city are no parking (or stopping) save utility and emergency. Utility usually puts up cones, sometimes they just park, emergency always have their lights on, delivery just stops there.
Which city is that?
Old 07-10-20, 10:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Bike lanes are sadly mostly a joke in the U.S. because we view bikes as toys and you don't play with toys in the street. Nobody respects them even cyclists sometimes don't. I had one yahoo going down the wrong way in my lane which was clearly marked with directional arrows and on the correct side of the street for those directional arrows and I yelled at him early on so he could hear and he got mad at me.

It is shame you cannot have a shoulder mounted bazooka while riding, it's just not aero enough.
Old 07-11-20, 06:41 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Bike lanes are sadly mostly a joke in the U.S. because we view bikes as toys and you don't play with toys in the street.
This is not my experience. Perhaps this is so in some places, but I believe that most communities try to do them right.
Old 07-11-20, 10:43 AM
boilermaker1

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I just yell “f**k y*u” as I go around them. All of them. With a finger displayed as well. It’s my street and I am sick of being threatened by these untrained losers. They are easy to spot.
Do you stop to fight when you give the finger or do you flee? Chicago, once a town where even genteel white collar workers who grew up there would duke it out is now infested with transplant youth ghetto cyclists who blithely give the finger then flee when you go after them.
Old 07-11-20, 11:11 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Answer this then.

WTF is up with the full speed wrong direction driving against traffic to then park the wrong direction to save 20 feet walking for a delivery?

I cussed a guy for this for almost killing me (with my front bright light). I had video and once I said I did he begged for his job. I told him to get on with life but to stop breaking the law to save 20 feet at the cost of lives. He nodded and left.
Why would I know that answer?

​​​​​​I drive a lot at work, and see a number of our brethren cyclists doing some really stupid stuff, but I'm not going to ask you to explain why.
Old 07-11-20, 04:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
This is not my experience. Perhaps this is so in some places, but I believe that most communities try to do them right.
That's good. I have had a lot of poor experiences with them. Some good ones as well and sure overall they are a good concept but poorly enforced but I have to assume some places are a bit better.
Old 07-11-20, 05:08 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
bicycle lanes on the roads in Wayne County [Mostly Detroit} is just a place to unload garbage, break glass items, beg/panhandle, loiter, abandon a broke down or stolen vehicle, & to experience bicycle flats.
Old 07-11-20, 05:35 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I generally avoid roads with bike lanes when riding. there are MANY parallel streets, yea?
Old 07-11-20, 06:24 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 07-11-20, 07:27 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
If you blink the problem goes away.
Likes For gios:
Old 07-12-20, 02:31 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Answer this then.

Answer this then.
WTF is up with 91% of all road cyclists blowing through stop signs and rolling through red lights?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 07-12-20, 05:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Answer this then.
WTF is up with 91% of all road cyclists blowing through stop signs and rolling through red lights?
Folks on BF can’t seem to stay on topic. IIRC the topic was about Amazon trucks in bike lanes. Of which while I have been in bike lanes and almost been hit head on by them trying to park the wrong way. Not to mention many of these truck drivers carry CDL’s but drive more like they got a James Bond license to kill.

GTFO with the lazy whataboutisms. I know that strategy has been popularized in modern politics but I thought we were above that in BF.

Wanna try again or you have another off-topic whataboutism to litter the forum with? What next? What about no helmet or no blinky light rider? Shall I go ahead and take care of the rest of the intellectually lazy whataboutisms for you?
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-12-20, 11:10 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
When folks complain about cyclists rolling through stop signs, etc., I think to myself that if they were on a bike, they'd probably do the same.

In the same way, if you drove a delivery truck, what would you do- drive around for 20 minutes looking for a parking spot?

Delivery truck drivers didn't design the road striping- maybe they should start agitating for designated stopping lanes, as they are getting yelled at by cyclists so much.
Old 07-12-20, 12:30 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Which city is that?
This is the law in NYC.
Old 07-12-20, 12:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I can't think of any company or entity that doesn't treat the bike lane like a white zone. You know how many times I've had to go around a cop, because they've stopped to do their paperwork in the bike lane? Or how many times the city has put a digi-sign or radar trailer right in the bike lane?

Seems unfair to single out Amazon when it comes to bike lane abuse. Anyone in a vehicle sees that empty strip, and immediately thinks

Old 07-12-20, 04:07 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
Oh so that's what walmart bikes are for!!!!
Old 07-12-20, 04:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
This is the law in NYC.
I don’t know which city the OP is talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.