Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What makes a good vintage century bike build?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What makes a good vintage century bike build?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-20, 10:23 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
This is AWESOME! Keep it coming!

And throw in any distance advice and tips, I didn’t mean to indicate that tips weren’t welcome, only that I was happy to have someone answer my question as I asked it. Very happy to learn from others experiences.

Salt supplements, plenty of liquids, good handlebar bag, it’s all welcome. I have a couple bar bags like the Cannondale bags with shock cord going to the front drop outs, they hold a lot.

I’ll be building up and trying out all of them eventually. Sedgemop took me on a 25 miler yesterday, and my motor will need some more work, but I knew that. I took the ‘79 Trek 510, and it’s pretty awesome for the task, but after the comments I think I’ll put the Cannonball at the front of the line, and the Raleigh right after it.

For speed I notice that short high effort sprints or hills really take it out of me, so I’ll be doing some short sprint intervals between longer rides. The Miyata will take the sprint work, it’s the sportiest and stiffest. Then I’ll play with the other stuff.

I have a unicantor, and I was already thinking of trying it, as it won’t absorb sweat, but also it weighs nothing. A vintage weight weenie long distance Cannondale build would be preeetty sweeet...

Last edited by Chr0m0ly; 07-11-20 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 10:34 AM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 407 Posts
Ive used this recipe as a foundation to make energy bars. Don't use 3/4 cup oil, it's too much. 1/2 is the right amount. Playing around with the ingredients is fun and easy. I've added molasses, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, chocolate chips. I want to try experimenting with adding banana into it somehow, but that may require flour as well.

Oh yeah, and thr amount of brown sugar added is too much. I usually do less than half.

Last edited by Piff; 07-09-20 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 11:47 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I don't know if this is a possibility in your area, but I'd highly recommend you do a local cycling club century for your first one. There will be food and water stops, so you don't need to worry about, plus you'll have some camaraderie along the way.

FWIW and take it or leave it: The C&V training advice for 'beginners' I got when starting out still applies IMHO. Ride as many miles as possible. Try to spin, until your knees start to toughen up. As the miles pile up, your moderately easy speed will slowly but steadily increase.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 07-09-20, 12:16 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I will Echo Dr Cannondale on FIt and after you have that figured out its Comfort, Comfort Comfort. Find a saddle you like, Pedals you like, a bar height/Reach/ hand position you like. As a 3 time veteran of the STP (Seattle to Portland) ride. I would take comfort over shaving a few ounces any day of the week IMHO. I should clarify by comfort I mean something that you just don't think about as the miles go by... the saddle just disappeared under me... if the fit or feel is off it you will know about it at mile 15 and 25 and beyond

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited by ryansu; 07-09-20 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 12:27 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm

snip . . .

I also go with the fattest tires I can fit. If 32's are nice, 38's are nicer, and 42's are nicer still. I'm not interested in the debate about whether fat tires are faster or slower. The important thing is that the fatter tires don't beat me up. Last week I rode 138 miles on 28's and I was pretty sore the next day (then again, the fixed gear thing may have contributed to my soreness). But most of my riding is on tires in the 48-53 mm range.

snip . . .

So if I were starting with the bikes you mention, I'd probably start with the International. I'd consider a 650b conversion on that or another.
There is a lot of good advice in this post. There is a lot to be said for fat, high quality tires. I like my '93 XO 2 for long rides as I run 26 x 1.75 tires on it.
Old 07-09-20, 02:54 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler
I'll add a couple to the good doctor's list: being bull headed and too stupid to realize that you can't do it. Also planning an "out and back" helps as, at the 50 mile point, you have no choice but to finish the game. Oh, and being way out in the woods.

Somewhere in the "where'd you ride today" thread is an account of my century ride on our D&L trail here in PA on June 9th. A 1995 Trek 850 does not generally top the list of long distance tourers but it "worked a peach" on that ride. Fit was spot on, drops were appreciated and cool dry weather topped the cake. The fit on that bike is the same as on my road bikes - the saddle, BB, bar triangle the same. So training on one bike pays off on all of them.

Last August on my GAP trail trip, one of the days was 85 miles on the 70# loaded Schwinn. Coulda been 100 but it was getting dark and that shelter looked so good. Bull headed!
” potable water.” from the Jersey Pines Chronicles
Old 07-09-20, 06:57 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
We miss you way back here in the colonies, Robbie.
Old 07-09-20, 07:57 PM
slenten
Lotus Must Recite

Bikes: 1991 Waterford Paramount

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I completed a century once, in 1976, on a stock, '76 Schwinn LeTour. A handlebar bag held snacks, etc. My friend suffered on a '75 Continental. I had a pleasant time
but have not felt the need to repeat the experience.
Old 07-11-20, 02:31 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Sedgemop took me out on a 57 miler. My longest ride to date.

He also took the opportunity to offload an old Trek of his onto unsuspecting innocent me... A ‘78 TX706. It’s a beauty, in amazing condition, and I will treasure it.

THANK YOU SEDGEMOP

The bike will get it’s own “New Bike Day” post but here are a couple shots.

Some observations on breaking 50 miles:

I need a crazy amount of water/salt, I think I went through at least twice as many bottles of various waters and sports drinks as Sedge. He is in better condition for these rides but I just naturally sweat buckets. Loads of water carrying capacity will be a priority. When we started I put salt and a little lemon juice into my water bottle, I think if I add some sugar I can role my own Gatorade type drink. I have salted my water during martial arts practice, and he good results.

We had a couple cliff bars and I brought mixed nuts, I think making my own granola bars is a great idea. The adventurous side of me is wondering about pemicin...

I have been using a Brooks B17 up until now, but decided to gamble and for this ride threw a Unicantor on the bike. I know that’s a very stupid idea but I got away with it. I love that saddle and I’ll be getting more. I took the gamble because I find Brooks to be most comfortable when quite snug. Once the divots form I tighten it a bit. I know the Uni is very close to the contours of an unbroken in Brooks, so I just went for it. It worked great, after a couple angle re-adjustments.

I definitely am seeing how weight isn’t a big deal, at least in board flat IL. I’m curious how one of my tourers would feel now. Although the X1X series of Treks were billed as tourers in their day.

Today my legs are tired, and I’m generally just sleepy, but I’m hooked. Nothing disastrous happened, I’m tired but fine today, and I want to keep safely exploring my personal limits in this area of riding.

It seems like the most important things are

Comfort, (several times over) then,

Hydration, more than you think,

Snacks are good,

sun protection. I burn very easily, and I prefer to wear long sleeves and gloves to wearing sunblock, but I might start to double up.

These rides I hadn’t set up any carrying capacity on the bikes yet, and I used a fanny pack for water carrying. Not doing that again.
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 07-11-20, 05:25 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Aladin
A few mm's in wheelbase.. dunno. Think emphasis on tires, seat fit and position, handlebar fit as regards to actual riding posture and postion.
I make the assumption that the "fit" is correct on either. A few millimeters in wheelbase is not much of a difference, in trail steering head angle, chainstay length (say 406 to 415-420) that will be felt all totaled up.
Old 07-11-20, 05:31 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
Congrats on your 57 miles. This thread has inspired me too. In the last 40 years I’ve only gotten in a few 20-25 mile distance rides each year along with various shorter ones. Today, I took my new/ used miyata on a 51 mile ride. I did better than I expected, and as another poster said, just go for it.

35 Panaracers at 60-65 psi and a Brooks B15 helped a lot. I did remember something from my youth and longer rides; even when feeling strong, I try to keep it in one gear easier than I might try on a 10-15 mile ride. That gear may feel comfortable at the time and not like pushing, but over longer distances it catches up with you.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 07-11-20, 05:50 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Wow, congratulations on the 'new' Trek! Maybe that should be your pick. Looks like the perfect century bike to me.

BITD when most people only had one small waterbottle, people made a point of knowing where to stop for water, whether it be gas stations, drinking fountains, streams or springs. I guess now people don't trust the water?

For hydration Vitalyte works for me. It's the old school stuff. It costs more than rolling your own, but a lot less than gatorade. For me, the potassium really helps. I could probably make my own drink, I know it's a bit dangerous if you overdo it, so I stick to the commercial stuff. In the old days, most people just drank plain water, and dealt with it when they cramped. Maybe we'd stop for a banana or some fruit juice. We were stupid, but it worked well enough.
Old 07-11-20, 05:54 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 212 Posts
Hmmm, maybe something with a 49cc engine on board?
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 07-11-20, 05:54 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Yeah, if you are riding flat chicagoland roads, maps, and trails- weight shouldn't be a consideration if you are choosing from multiple quality bikes.

I would take your current fleet and decide based on the following-
- what bike is most comfortable for the longest? If its 1, ride that. If its multiple, then...
- what bike can handle the widest quality tire? Choose that one. If the remaining can all fit the same width tire, then...
- what bike can hold the most bottles with proper brazeons? Choose that one. If the remaining can all fit the same number of bottles, then...
- pick the one that looks the nicest.

All my road bikes are equally comfortable. One can hold 32mm tires without a second thought while the others are tight with 28s.
I have no desire to own, much less ride for long distances, road bikes that don't have inner diamond cage holders(an underside holder is good too). The history is neat, but the practicality and convenience isn't there for me. Easy access to water thats stored out of the way is key for me.
Old 07-11-20, 06:04 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Yeah, my bikes with single bottle cages just don't get ridden in the hotter weather. I'm not even a huge water drinker, but I know I'll go through two larger bottles over 40 miles if it's in the 80s.
Old 07-11-20, 06:04 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Originally Posted by ryansu
I will Echo Dr Cannondale on FIt and after you have that figured out its Comfort, Comfort Comfort. Find a saddle you like, Pedals you like, a bar height/Reach/ hand position you like. As a 3 time veteran of the STP (Seattle to Portland) ride. I would take comfort over shaving a few ounces any day of the week IMHO. I should clarify by comfort I mean something that you just don't think about as the miles go by... the saddle just disappeared under me... if the fit or feel is off it you will know about it at mile 15 and 25 and beyond

Good luck and have fun!
I have saddles that don’t cause chafing, that are no more “uncomfortable” at the end of a long ride than the beginning... but disappears under me? Haven’t found that yet.

I’ve tried out many saddles as all my my bikes have come with on, I have a pile of take offs... I like the B17’s the Belt saddles and tensioned leather. I have always been a fan of the heavy leather hiking boots, and enjoyed the break in process. Something molded to your anatomy is well worth it.

I’m wondering if I get a little more aggressive, I can unweight my butt a little more. Sometimes I’ll start to get numb feet, and that was worrying, but I’ve that if that starts to happen now I just move a little more weight to my hands and feet. I’m not “off the saddle” but I’m not resting on it either. No more numb feet. I’ve gone from having to stop periodically, to having it not be an issue.
Old 07-11-20, 06:14 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Hmmm, maybe something with a 49cc engine on board?
Well I have an ‘06 Ninja 650, with a full set of luggage. It holds the most water but I get the nastiest looks on the MUP’s... 😆👍
Old 07-12-20, 01:03 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Congratulations! Hope you didn’t have to go far in the mud!

You might want to try rolling the handlebar up a few degrees in the stem clamp so that the ramp (curve behind the brake levers) is closer to, or at horizontal. That gives more places to put the hands, which is really helpful on flat rides.
Old 07-12-20, 08:08 AM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
I love that color on the Trek. It is close to the green on my 85 Voyageur. I think your Trek would make an excellent century ride.

If you can do 57 miles, you can do a century as long as you keep gradually adding mileage (barring injury). Especially if you liked the set up of the bike. To me, the biggest thing with a century is overcoming the mental obstacle of riding 100 miles. I had a decent base from commuting and kept adding about ten miles to my weekend big ride. Once I got to 70 miles I got impatient and just went for it. I was exhausted but I did it. The best advice I can give is start early in the day and do not worry about how long it takes. Take breaks when you need to. There is no flat option around me and I had several difficult climbs If you can choose flat, I would go with flat. If you can't, you can still do it.
Old 07-12-20, 08:58 AM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
For fit, I’d go with a slightly shorter reach than your usual preference, a little more upright than your usual fit. Those last 5 or 15 miles are tough sometimes.

My Century bike was a Hi Ten (butted, go figure) Panasonic DX2000. DT shifting. 53/39 12 speed. Haven’t done one in 10 years but what mattered was the comfort of that frame and my fitness at the time. And being 32...!

Sport touring geometry is comfortable but still ok going uphill with some speed. Long Trek 720 frames will be comfortable but will make those hills seem a little longer.
Old 07-12-20, 11:00 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,788 Times in 1,405 Posts
I'll go with the bike is entirely irrelevant. Ride any damn bike you wish.

That said, one bike may be more physically taxing than another. An American cruiser may be tougher to ride a hundred miles than a French randonneur. But both certainly can be ridden. Just like the route you choose. If you really want to, you could Everest in 100 miles. Or in Florida, you would be lucky to get 1000 feet in gain. The only thing that matters is the rider of the bike.

My only "trick", and it may only be relevant to me (when I am in decent shape), if I am only breathing through my nose, I can ride all day, 100+ miles is doable. If I start exerting more, so I need to breathe through the mouth, I'll tap out before the 100.
Likes For iab:
Old 07-12-20, 01:06 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Lots of useful advice for one’s first (or any) century ride here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dist...-strategy.html
Old 07-12-20, 07:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
Good stories. I've been rolling my own sports drink. Three spoons of maple syrup, half a spoon of salt, and water. Today I added an ounce of orange juice. I got my spouse into drinking this stuff, too, because she bonks really early. We think it helps, but time will tell. She generally doesn't like sugar, and that's proper, but when you're exerting yourself, especially in the heat, sugar is a good thing.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-13-20, 05:57 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Someone else cramping somehow seems to help.
Human nature being what it is.
Old 07-13-20, 05:58 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Someone else cramping somehow seems to help.
Human nature being what it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.