Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Aluminum frames on hanging racks

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-18-20, 11:04 AM
lelenz

Bikes: Sirrus X-4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Are the concerns hanging Aluminum framed bikes on a hanging hitch rack? I have an old Saris 3 bike rack that is heavy and built well. I would like to use it instead of buying a new tray rack. I know people fret on carbon bikes hung on racks, What about Aluminum?
Also, any ideas of extra security (non-theft related) to hold the bike on the rack. thought about large Zip ties of something?
Old 06-18-20, 11:18 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I carry aluminum bikes on the back of my hanging rack all the time. Just drove 1500 miles with a 60# aluminum ebike. Velcro straps or lots of bungees to keep things moving together lessens impact on the bikes.

For some minor level of security I loop a cable lock around my receiver hitch than run that through the bikes with a padlock. Won't survive a night in a motel parking lot but good enough for restroom breaks and traffic lights.
Old 06-18-20, 11:38 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Using a rack for an aluminum bike has never been a problem for me. You are not putting any extraordinary stress on the frame. If you want a cheap and effective way to tie a bike to racks that do not include tie-downs, save your old bike tubes. I use a rack for my recumbent trike with the two front wheels on the roof and the rear wheel on an old RhodeGear rack. It stays firmly in place at speeds up to 80 mph on the interstate (don't tell the cops!). An alternative is to buy a spool of 1/4" bungee cord. I just bought a 50 foot roll from Home Depot for $18 to lace a seat on an older recumbent trike. I can use the leftover as tie downs. Both of these have some "give" so are really good for tying things down. If you want shorter pieces, REI carries it in bulk spools at their stores for 40 cents a foot for the 6mm/1/4" size. They call it "accessory cord".
Old 06-18-20, 12:31 PM
lelenz

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for that suggestion. the rack has straps, but I want to double secure the bike while on the highway at 80mph speeds. Appreciate It!!
Old 06-19-20, 11:34 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by lelenz
Are the concerns hanging Aluminum framed bikes on a hanging hitch rack? I have an old Saris 3 bike rack that is heavy and built well. I would like to use it instead of buying a new tray rack. I know people fret on carbon bikes hung on racks, What about Aluminum?
Also, any ideas of extra security (non-theft related) to hold the bike on the rack. thought about large Zip ties of something?
The worse problem you'll find is that Aluminum especially in the older models doesn't hold paint very well and will rub paint off fairly easily. I am a fan of aluminum bike even though I am replete with CF bikes.
Old 06-19-20, 11:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
In the 13 years I had a CR-V with a hanging rack on the rear, I drove something like 40K miles with aluminum and CF frames on a hanging rack. This included many trips back and forth across the US. Zero issues, and you would be hard pressed to tell where any of the bikes contacted the cradles. The only scratches I got were from where I made a cradle repair using a hose clamp one time and I scratched a frame getting it on and off the rack.

I would make sure to run a strap through the wheels to keep the bikes from swinging on the racks.
Old 06-19-20, 12:51 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
For some minor level of security I loop a cable lock around my receiver hitch than run that through the bikes with a padlock. Won't survive a night in a motel parking lot but good enough for restroom breaks and traffic lights.
Ouch! People steal bikes at traffic lights? I had no idea anyone would do this.
Old 06-19-20, 01:01 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
I've never had one taken off my car in 20 years, but I have been rear ended 3 times with bikes on the rear rack.
Old 06-19-20, 01:42 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
People in Chicago steal Semi trailers at traffic lights. ! Driver stops they unhook the brake lines and un hitch. The driver drives off without the trailer, or he gets out and dies, or gets beat so bad by multiple criminals he goes to hospital because he got out!

I hung my aluminum bikes on racks, I wasn't worried about the Aluminum so much, but I put micro fiber around the frame to protect the paint. then used old tubes to tie the crank to the rack, so the wind would swing and twist the frame in the rack as I drove down the road at highway speeds.
Old 06-19-20, 01:47 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I used to work in DC.
Old 06-19-20, 01:52 PM
lelenz

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks, great suggestions folks, I'll continue to use my old rack.
Old 06-19-20, 02:34 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
People in Chicago steal Semi trailers at traffic lights. ! Driver stops they unhook the brake lines and un hitch. The driver drives off without the trailer, or he gets out and dies, or gets beat so bad by multiple criminals he goes to hospital because he got out!

I hung my aluminum bikes on racks, I wasn't worried about the Aluminum so much, but I put micro fiber around the frame to protect the paint. then used old tubes to tie the crank to the rack, so the wind would swing and twist the frame in the rack as I drove down the road at highway speeds.
I find this almost impossible to believe. I'd love to read a news story about it...?
Old 06-19-20, 02:57 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Koyote
I find this almost impossible to believe. I'd love to read a news story about it...?
I'd love to hear a lot of stories on the News outlets about the truth of Crime in the USA. but that's not the narrative.

You know what else isn't on the news? All the stolen bicycles that gets posted on the Facebook market pages!
Old 06-19-20, 03:19 PM
Koyote

I'd love to hear a lot of stories on the News outlets about the truth of Crime in the USA. but that's not the narrative.

You know what else isn't on the news? All the stolen bicycles that gets posted on the Facebook market pages!
So in other words, your claim was make-believe.
Old 06-19-20, 03:23 PM
Metieval

So in other words, your claim was make-believe.
no my claim Is based on first person info.

Your claim that because it isn't in the news, thus it don't happen is absurd.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 06-19-20, 03:36 PM
Koyote

I believe things for which there is actual evidence. But that’s just me.
Old 06-19-20, 03:45 PM
Metieval

I believe things for which there is actual evidence. But that’s just me.

I'd love to read a news story about it...?
LOL ...

Evidence needs credibility....... I think I'll trust truck drivers more than I trust the news.
Old 06-19-20, 03:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,271 Times in 7,224 Posts

I work for a railroad that was featured on an episode of Cops! way back in the day. A sting was set up outside an intermodal terminal in NJ. The driver would pretend to break down. While he was checking under the hood, people would run up to the back of the truck, break the seal (a crime in and of itself) and grab the empty boxes. In one case, the truck hadn’t even come to a complete stop. The police would come out of a hidden door to apprehend as many as possible. The funny part is that the thieves didn’t even realize they were running off with things like empty VCR boxes, which tend to have some weight to them.
Old 06-19-20, 04:02 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by lelenz
Thanks, great suggestions folks, I'll continue to use my old rack.
By The Way, I dropped micro fiber cloths on the rack frame holders, because the rubber was breaking down, and it would smear onto the paint and frame. My Saris trunk rack was 10+ years old though However the wind force as I was driving Freeway at 70 would definitely swing the bottom of the bike out away from the car. that didn't help the rubber holder things any.
29er x2.35 catch a a lot of wind, as do deeper dish wheels. a 29er tube worked great for tying it back.

my straps were deff on the dry rot side & crusty from using it in the winter months, and the frame was rusty.... I was pushing my luck. Saris makes a great product.
Old 06-19-20, 04:06 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Pretty sure that was a movie.
First-person info = he saw it.
Old 06-19-20, 08:07 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
It happened in Detroit in the 80's. I think an officer by the name Axel Foley was involved.

I have a few hundred reasonably strong zip ties. For longer drives in the rack I use a few of those to supplement the rubber straps