Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1973 Fuji Special Road Racer. Worth fixing up?

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 06-19-20, 10:26 PM
Skye_Walker77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Here is another bike I was given from a garage clean out. Needs tires, and handlebar wrap. Looks pretty well equipped. I do have the original front tire, I took it off to go get tires for it. It had an old water bottle holder which was mounted over the FUJI on the center tube, which is why the logo isn't perfect. If I decoded the serial number correctly this is from 1973. Just wondering if it's worth fixing up and what it might be worth, I think the original Belt seat has some value. Overall I think it's kind of cool with the fenders and rear rack. Last value post I found was from 2010, so looking for a more recent appraisal. Thank much.

Likes For Skye_Walker77:
Old 06-19-20, 10:41 PM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
Not a bad project bike at all. Should clean up very nicely! I really like the aggressive chainstay dimpling.

I would not dump a lot of $$ into it however. Take all the time you need!
Old 06-20-20, 07:36 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
personally Rewarding project
not an investment
Likes For repechage:
Old 06-20-20, 09:31 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I still have my September '74-built '75-model year S-10S that I bought new in '76.. K9I003xx Yours has steel rims, whereas later years were equipped with aluminum. You might want to check out a local bike co-op for a set of replacement wheels. Looks to be in remarkable shape - just clean/lube and replace consumables.

Mine has had numerous upgrades/parts replacements in the 44 years since! Note that it still has the original Fujita Belt saddle, too!

Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 06-20-20, 09:43 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I had a really clean one with a rock hard BELT saddle that I sold for $180. So worth would be in your time to clean it up.
Old 06-20-20, 10:08 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by Skye_Walker77
Here is another bike I was given from a garage clean out. Needs tires, and handlebar wrap. Looks pretty well equipped. I do have the original front tire, I took it off to go get tires for it. It had an old water bottle holder which was mounted over the FUJI on the center tube, which is why the logo isn't perfect. If I decoded the serial number correctly this is from 1973. Just wondering if it's worth fixing up and what it might be worth, I think the original Belt seat has some value. Overall I think it's kind of cool with the fenders and rear rack. Last value post I found was from 2010, so looking for a more recent appraisal. Thank much.
Cool SRR !! I haven't seen a '73 before and It's interesting the differences between it and the seemingly more common '75 & '76 models. I'm hoping you restore it.

Originally Posted by SoccerBallXan
Take all the time you need!
That's certainly been my strategy having acquired a really rusty SRR in '14. Early this year I got as far as painting the "too far gone" oxidized & rusted parts black. I'm letting that paint cure in the now summertime heat - that's my story...

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I still have my September '74-built '75-model year S-10S that I bought new in '76..
Do I remember you having the bill of sale from your SRR? I just found the bill of sale and all associated paperwork from my 1st bike store bike, a Fuji Supreme. Is there a thread of original bill of sale receipts?
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 06-20-20, 11:58 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Wow, great! Yes clean and lube and ride. Evaporust for the small chrome bit if you have not used it before. For large chrome eg (steel) rims crumpled aluminum foil (shiny side out? does it matter?) after cleaning to remove rust; cheap and effective. I have a 75 in white I need to finish.
That is the newest looking belt addle I have ever seen.
Enjoy.
Old 06-20-20, 03:39 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Absolutely yes. That bike is worth fixing up. It has a high tensile steel alloy frame that is surprisingly light once you strip all the parts off it. If you ditch the chrome steel wheels for some nice new alloy wheels you can get that bike down to around 25lbs. Mount some brand new Continental or Michelin tires & that bike has potential to be an amazing ride. Be good. Have fun.
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 06-20-20, 05:11 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
If you do decide to sell it, switch out the Belt for an inexpensive one. I own a Belt and have never ridden it but people seem to love them and they sell well on the 'bay. Every time I pull it out I marvel at how thick the leather is and it's a cool looking seat.
Likes For WGB:
Old 06-20-20, 05:34 PM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji

Do I remember you having the bill of sale from your SRR? I just found the bill of sale and all associated paperwork from my 1st bike store bike, a Fuji Supreme. Is there a thread of original bill of sale receipts?
Yep, that was me. I did a little horse trading, too. Upgraded the tires, added toe clips/straps, and since I was used to my previous bike that had safety levers I added those as well (but took them off a month or so later)

Old 06-20-20, 09:21 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
That is in nice shape! It should clean up nicely. Probably best to leave it stock. The money you would spend could go towards another project with whatever upgrades you need. Later versions of the bike saw major improvements. Yours is one of the earliest versions, and it is complete and original! You can try The Bikesmiths in Milwaukee for deals on 27" tires. That's if they have any in stock with pandemic bike demand draining inventories.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 06-20-20, 11:59 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Yep, that was me. I did a little horse trading, too. Upgraded the tires, added toe clips/straps, and since I was used to my previous bike that had safety levers I added those as well (but took them off a month or so later)

I was so happy to find my entire packet of owners manual, bill of sale, salesman's business card (who was a local surfing icon) and even a city bike registration receipt. Looks like I was a victim of inflation by '82 ! The Supreme was a more entry level bike than the S 10 S but it was one of the few frames Fuji offered in 27"
Old 06-21-20, 12:20 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

[QUOTE=Skye_Walker77;21543637]

[QUOTE]

Skye Walker if you do decide to keep it original and use the Dia Compe brakes, I see that grommet piece you're missing on the left side being hard to find. I've got the original center pull brakes I don't plan to use if you want them, I'll send them your way. However they do look pretty bad, but you can probably just use the grommet-like piece. PM me if you want it.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 06-21-20, 09:31 AM
Cougrrcj

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I was so happy to find my entire packet of owners manual, bill of sale, salesman's business card (who was a local surfing icon) and even a city bike registration receipt. Looks like I was a victim of inflation by '82 ! The Supreme was a more entry level bike than the S 10 S but it was one of the few frames Fuji offered in 27"
Mine was discounted as a nearly two-year-old scratched floor model that nobody wanted - long scratch along the toptube, driveside. List price was $219.95, so the store took ~$25 off.

This was also the third Fuji I bought from that shop. The first being a '74 all-steel Special Tourer, that was stolen three months later from the high school bike rack. The second being the first's identical replacement. F9B18529 being the bike that was stolen, and replaced with F9B18546. The latter was sold to a buddy's sister two years later so I could afford the upgrade to the S-10S. I really wanted the America, but couldn't afford/justify the extra $100 in list price since I was a full-time college student! The America listed at $330, and a whole year at college (Ohio State) in '76/77 was ~$2700 for tuition/room/board!
Old 06-21-20, 12:35 PM
Skye_Walker77

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have the piece, I just disconnected it to remove the front tire.
Old 06-22-20, 12:32 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Skye_Walker77 , That would be a very worthwhile restoration project. I just finished a complete restoration of a 1974 Raleigh which I documented in the following threads, I hope they will give some insight and inspiration:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...1-headset.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ket-crank.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-3-brakes.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...railleurs.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...alignment.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-6-pedals.html
Likes For branko_76:
Old 06-22-20, 12:51 PM
GMS 
Bike Dealer since 1972

Bikes: Some of the bikes I've collected: Raleighs ( about 20), Trek ( oldest 1978 770 Columbus tubes), Mercian, Condor, Bob Jackson, Falcon, Holdsworth, Jacques Anquetil, Bianchi, LeMond, Cannondale, Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Dunelt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 29 Posts
Hold on to the Belt saddle. It will be easy to sell on eBay. I looked for some time for a Belt to complete my Fuji rebuild.
My family's bike shop in Kinston,NC sold Fuji all during the 70s. My first nice bike was an S-10S. Still have it but it has been painted several times.
Can't believe how many leather saddles we threw away back then.
Likes For GMS:
Old 06-22-20, 12:55 PM
GMS 
Bike Dealer since 1972

Bikes: Some of the bikes I've collected: Raleighs ( about 20), Trek ( oldest 1978 770 Columbus tubes), Mercian, Condor, Bob Jackson, Falcon, Holdsworth, Jacques Anquetil, Bianchi, LeMond, Cannondale, Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Dunelt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 29 Posts
I've been taking pictures of bikes that come in for repair.
Likes For GMS: