Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Trying to evaluate the value of an old Miele Uno ms Road Issue

Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Old 07-05-20, 03:53 PM
magagnon099

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello

I'm from Montréal

I have an old Miele Uno ms Road Issue that I used as an everyday bike when I was a kid. It was bought by my parents, so I don't know how much they paid for. They bought it the late 80's if I remember correctly.

It's been around for quite some time, but it's still in pretty good shape. I still use it and it's in fine working order.

I don't know much about bikes, and I have absolutely no idea how much it can be worth.

Can anybody help me out with this ? I'm looking to set a price so I can eventually sell it.

What do I need to look at to know how much it's worth ?

I can post pics if necessary.

Thanks
Old 07-05-20, 04:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by magagnon099
Hello

I'm from Montréal

I have an old Miele Uno ms Road Issue that I used as an everyday bike when I was a kid. It was bought by my parents, so I don't know how much they paid for. They bought it the late 80's if I remember correctly.

It's been around for quite some time, but it's still in pretty good shape. I still use it and it's in fine working order.

I don't know much about bikes, and I have absolutely no idea how much it can be worth.

Can anybody help me out with this ? I'm looking to set a price so I can eventually sell it.

What do I need to look at to know how much it's worth ?

I can post pics if necessary.

Thanks
Hello and welcome to the forums. Can you tell us more about the bike? Is there a sticker that says what the tubing is? Are there names on the components?

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-05-20, 04:52 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,763 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to C&V Appraisals.
Old 07-05-20, 05:04 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Welcome to the forums. We'll need pictures for a proper appraisal as mechanical and cosmetic condition are major factors. On the plus, you live in Montreal, which is the 3rd most expensive market in Canada. On the negatively side the Uno MS was the bottom of the line sport model. The frames are typically Tange #5 main tubes mated to hi-tensile stays and forks. The derailleurs are generally Shimano Tourney, with the brakes being Shimano Z-series. MSRP circa 1990 was $375 CDN.
Old 07-05-20, 06:48 PM
magagnon099

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you all for your replies.

It does say Tange #5 for the tubing.

I see a lot of places where it says Shimano, but not much more specific than that, except one place, where it says Shimano 515 from what I can read.

I got photos, but I can only post them after I posted 10 times on the forum.

So.... How are you all doing ?

In Montreal, we've had 1 and a half weeks of summer, and we're already to our third heat wave. Life is great
Old 07-05-20, 06:52 PM
magagnon099

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm not an expert, but from the way it rides, I would say the mechanical condition is very good, and the cosmetic condition is "better than you can hope for from a bike that old in the hands of a not bike enthusiast"
Old 07-05-20, 07:37 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,763 Posts
Pic Assist

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/18409099

Last edited by cb400bill; 07-05-20 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-05-20, 11:25 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
I'd get it a little more ride-ready with fresh tires and remove all the reflectors. Ride it a little to determine if you still want to sell. If so, wipe it down real well, and take great pics of the drive side. Highlight that Tange decal atop the seat tube. Ask for at least $300. Maybe start at $400. I don't know Montreal nor the tall market there. Are french canadians short? Could be a limiting factor...
Old 07-06-20, 08:48 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
COVID price $300 Cdn for sure. There is a shortage of inexpensive bikes and this will sell fast. You could always ask more. Here in Toronto, prices are crazy, not sure if they are getting their asking but there is demand for bikes. Good luck with your sale.
Old 07-06-20, 09:48 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
That's either a massive frame, has 650c wheels, or both!

Given this Miele's condition, I'd say it's worth about $300 Canadian. At least that's about how much something like that will sell for here in Metro Vancouver.
Old 07-07-20, 12:18 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I'd get it a little more ride-ready with fresh tires and remove all the reflectors. .
Don't remove reflectors. Montreal police are very strict about bikes having them. If someone is stopped by police in Montreal for any reason missing reflectors will result in a hefty fine. If I were to remove something, it would be the kickstand
Old 07-07-20, 12:37 PM
alcjphil

How do they know your bike ever had reflectors? Do they fine you for the reflectors they think are missing during daylight hours?
It doesn't matter whether you had them or not, if you don't equip your bike with reflectors you will be fined
Old 07-07-20, 07:15 PM
alcjphil

I can understand not having two lights after dark, that's a common practice. One white in the front and a flashing red one in the rear.

But reflectors?
I was just stating the reality of the Quebec highway code as it pertains to cyclists. If police stop you for some other infraction, they will pile on fines for not having reflectors. Laugh all you want, but the fines are not a joke. If you remove reflectors from a bike here, you reduce its value
Old 07-09-20, 01:10 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Don't remove reflectors. Montreal police are very strict about bikes having them. If someone is stopped by police in Montreal for any reason missing reflectors will result in a hefty fine. If I were to remove something, it would be the kickstand
I don't know anyone who has been ticketed for not being in compliance. the last I read about the Ontario Ministry of Transport regarding bicycles was, a white front and RED* rear reflector, wheel reflectors, red reflective tape on the seat stays and white reflective tape on the front fork legs. I forget how long the strips of tape are supposed to be.

*Red, not amber. An amber rear reflector does NOT meet MOT guidlines.

Cheers
Old 07-09-20, 04:36 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I don't know anyone who has been ticketed for not being in compliance. the last I read about the Ontario Ministry of Transport regarding bicycles was, a white front and RED* rear reflector, wheel reflectors, red reflective tape on the seat stays and white reflective tape on the front fork legs. I forget how long the strips of tape are supposed to be.

*Red, not amber. An amber rear reflector does NOT meet MOT guidlines.

Cheers
The practices of the Ontario ministry of transport have absolutely no bearing on what the Quebec police do. I belong to a 400 member cycling club and believe me, the police in Montreal will ticket you if you don't have reflectors, especially if they stop you for some other infraction. I know numerous people to whom this has happened and they have had fines in the hundreds of dollars. It is unwise to ride a bicycle anywhere in Quebec without reflectors
Old 07-09-20, 05:07 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The practices of the Ontario ministry of transport have absolutely no bearing on what the Quebec police do. I belong to a 400 member cycling club and believe me, the police in Montreal will ticket you if you don't have reflectors, especially if they stop you for some other infraction. I know numerous people to whom this has happened and they have had fines in the hundreds of dollars. It is unwise to ride a bicycle anywhere in Quebec without reflectors
I never said that it did. I just posted what the Ontario MOT guidelines were.

One bicycle shop I used to work at would not sell a bicycle without the reflectors on it. We left it up to the customer to remove them after they took the bike out the door.

I recently bought some yellow and some red semi-circular reflector strips that'd work great on the semi-aero wheels I currently have on my Miele Uno LS. Those reflective strips would fit very nicely on the section or rim below the brake track.

I think that a Miele Uno LS makes a great lightweight touring bike. I enjoy mine a LOT.

Cheers
Old 07-09-20, 05:11 PM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I never said that it did. I just posted what the Ontario MOT guidelines were.

Cheers
The OP lives in Montreal. Ontario guidelines are of no use to them. My advice is based on local knowledge
Old 07-10-20, 10:08 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
A quick tally of the first page of road bicycle advertisements on Kijiji Montréal shows that the bicycles being offered for sale are non-compliant with respect to Québec reflector law by a ratio of 3:1. That's pretty typical of most of the areas where I've lived. Members can draw their own conclusions about how that relates to resale values and law enforcement.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 07-13-20, 06:58 AM
magagnon099

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you all very much for your help