Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Traditional or suction roof rack?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 08:25 PM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts

I currently own a Kuat Sherpa 2 that came off the old car and I prefer hitch mounted racks but I just leased a new Volvo and there are no options for hitch receivers that will work for me. There is one that I can find that is very expensive and requires cutting to install. I am hesitant to cut the rear fascia on a lease car.

The only option I like at this point is a roof rack (no strap mounted racks). I have been considering the Volvo rails with two fork mount carriers and the Seasucker Mini Bomber. The entire Volvo kit would run $439 while the seasucker would be about $570 including the spacers for the mtb.

Anyone here use the Seasucker (or Rockbros) suction mounts?
Old 07-07-20, 04:11 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I have watched and seen the Seasucker for years. I just don’t know about something that uses that method for my equipment. Maybe someone here that has used it and can give the skinny on it.
Old 07-07-20, 05:25 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
I have watched and seen the Seasucker for years. I just don’t know about something that uses that method for my equipment. Maybe someone here that has used it and can give the skinny on it.
I use the talon, have driven at highway speeds for 8-10 hours with no issues. Would definitely recommend
Old 07-07-20, 11:49 AM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Calling trekmogul
Likes For blazin:
Old 07-07-20, 12:05 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
I like the look of a traditional roof rack. I was interested in getting Sea Suckers at some point, but realized that anyone could walk by, release the suction and leave with the whole thing. I know they sell locks, but it's just too much hassle for me.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 07-07-20, 12:08 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I prefer a regular hard mounted system.
I have a Seasucker and it does work as advertised but it is just a bit of a hassle to mount every time you want to transport your bike.
Fine if you rarely need it or if you can't mount a regular roof rack but if neither of those apply it wouldn't be my preference.
Old 07-07-20, 02:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
No personal experience, but my seasonal neighbor, who worked at a bike shop in AZ, would drive between MN and AZ with his mondo-expensive bike attached with a Seasucker. He had absolute confidence in it.
Old 07-08-20, 08:22 AM
thenewjs

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No personal experience, but my seasonal neighbor, who worked at a bike shop in AZ, would drive between MN and AZ with his mondo-expensive bike attached with a Seasucker. He had absolute confidence in it.
Got the seasucker after seeing my dads friend arrive to a meet up with it attached to 911. It's great for occasional use and if you don't want to commit to a semi permanent solution.
Old 07-08-20, 09:06 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I say go SeaSucker.

My gas mileage is so much better when I don't have the roof rack on - without a bike. It's not a huge hassle to put it on or take it off - just four screws - but it's enough of a hassle that I don't remove it often.

The reason I opted not to do the SeaSucker is because I often leave my bike on the roof while at work. There was not a good way to lock the bike to the car with it. Maybe newer versions have an option.
Old 07-08-20, 09:17 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 366 Posts
Cable ran through the bike frame and then inside doors on both sides.

i used to have a BIC rack that clipped on and off. It came with a stretch of cable with balls on each end that wouldn’t pull through the closed window.

of course all a thief has to do is break the window. But any bike lock can be defeated in a few seconds by a determined thief
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-08-20, 09:24 AM
Mv350

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I have the Thule Evo wingbar setup, with Yakima front loader carriers. I like it. When I got a new car, just had to get a different fit kit. Works well.
Old 07-08-20, 11:17 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts

Old 07-08-20, 11:18 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Old 07-08-20, 11:19 AM
trekmogul 

Old 07-08-20, 11:27 AM
trekmogul 

85-95mph in the arabian desert headed t oa bike ride at AlQudra
Old 07-08-20, 10:14 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
If you opt NOT to go with Sea Sucker (although I've read they are absolutely great) . . .

I have a Volvo wagon with factory roof rails, to which I added Thule aero crossbars -- great fit, very secure.
But none of my bikes have quick release wheels (disc brakes on trail bikes, and a single speed bike) so I opted for upright bike trays which don't require removing the wheels.
So I use the 1UP rooftop tray and it's excellent.

All aluminum fabrication, no plastic and no springs to wear out or to rattle, it holds the wheels with contact on the tires only, so no rim contact and no frame contact.
The Thule upright carrier on the other hand has many plastic parts and adjustment points, plus the base of the Thule career was so wide on the crossbars that I could fit only 2 on my crossbars.
The 1UP is very sleek and the mounts are less than 6 inches wide . . . I'm currently using 2 but I have room enough to add 2 more and carry 4 bikes by alternating their facing directions.

If you're short like I am, you'll need to become adept at stepping onto the rear tire to get the elevation to put the bikes on and off, or use a small step stool positioned alongside the car.
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 07-09-20, 06:11 AM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I like the 1up trays with the Volvo rails. Thanks for everyone’s input!