Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Weinmann Vainqueur 999 adjustments

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 09:29 PM
Alexthe

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

These are my very reliable but probably never adjusted optimally brakes in my 78' Moto, grand jubilee. I am just now replacing the brake pads with new Mathauser's completely flat surface brake pads . I have in the past adjusted these breaks by squeezing them together and playing with the straddle cable? I used whatever I can find in the house and brute force. They work and I never damaged anything. But now I want to do it right. And I would like your advice on the tools ,I will need for a " nice " adjustment of these simple and efficient.. ( can be efficient ) brakes. I will work on upgrading of other components afterwards. My rear brake is smooth fair, stopping performance (with the wrong brake pads ) but the front brake is lumpy so perhaps the cable needs to be replaced. My levers...AH I will throw them out later, that's for another post, but for now this is my objective . oh and my wheels particularly the front need to be trued what tool do I need for that, Please in my old French bike .

Thank you
Alex
Old 07-07-20, 09:51 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
If the cable is bad and the cable lube has turned to greasy abrasive paste, best to replace the cables. Kind of ridiculous to tune brakes with almost-worn-out pads, too. And installing and tuning brakes is a lot easier if the wheels are true and properly dished.

Calvin Jones of Park Tools does a nice job, here:

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 07-07-20 at 10:02 AM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 07-07-20, 04:07 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
A "third hand" brake tool will hold the pads against the rim while you secure the cable:

I'm not especially fond of that spring-type tool, but the shop quality locking tools can be pretty expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
var-02.jpg (29.7 KB, 66 views)
Old 07-07-20, 08:16 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I'll add that the 999 calipers were really designed around rims with an outside width of 25mm or so. So when used with narrower rims the caliper arm swing and the resulting straddle cable angle WRT the pad get past the best leverage point. Add to that the flexible front cable hangers that were common back then and there can be a lot of mush and less "power" then the dual pivot might suggest.

SM pads will help. Placing an additional washer between the pad and the arm to better deal with the narrower rims will help. Of course using lined casing and redrawn inner cables will help. Stiffer hangers if possible will help.Back in the day straddle cables of various lengths were available but this option is pretty much long gone. Andy
Old 07-07-20, 10:00 PM
Alexthe

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1978

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
If the cable is bad and the cable lube has turned to greasy abrasive paste, best to replace the cables. Kind of ridiculous to tune brakes with almost-worn-out pads, too. And installing and tuning brakes is a lot easier if the wheels are true and properly dished.

Calvin Jones of Park Tools does a nice job, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJeYSKUI-6A
O.K. I'm sure your rite , I' have new pads on the way . next to true the wheel while I replace my tires but how do I do this? I could post a new question on this topic thanks for the video
Old 07-07-20, 10:25 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Alexthe , as suggested, new cables, pads, proper tools and true wheels will go a long way. But if you want to make your brakes work like new, you'll need to take them completely apart, thoroughly clean them, apply Phil Waterproof Grease to the pivots and reassemble. Also, pay close attention to the cable housing ends, make sure they are ground flat and have no burrs that the cable could rub against. If the cable ends are not flat and smooth, they will grind into the knurled adjusters when turning them, most of which are soft aluminum.

Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-08-20, 07:17 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
With KOOL-STOP Continentals