Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Questions for cannondale st500 owners

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-22, 10:15 PM
Dallas22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought a st500 and when I started looking over it better the frame seems bent. When I place a straight edge on all tubes the scale isn’t flat against the tube. It seems like the tubes have a slight crown to them. Is this normal for these bikes? It seems hard to believe the top, down tube,seat tube and seat stays are all bent. This is my first aluminum frame bike and don’t if this is the way they were made.
Old 02-13-22, 10:31 PM
Campagnerdo 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
This is not an unusual observation for these bikes. When they were heat treated, the tubes bowed a bit. The alignment is still supposed to be correct,
Old 02-13-22, 11:21 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Yup, this is how it is/was for this vintage of Cannondale. I had a '91 SR800 that had a pretty good box in the downtube. Was aligned just fine, and rode how it should have. Other aluminum bikes didn't seem to have this problem, from my experience. Cannondale got it sorted eventually.
Old 02-14-22, 12:02 AM
Dallas22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the information. I was hoping this was the case. I didn’t want to put a lot of time and money into it if the frame was bad.