Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to turn your iphone into an ANT+ bike computer with GPS, HRM, power, and cadence

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How to turn your iphone into an ANT+ bike computer with GPS, HRM, power, and cadence

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 07:54 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts

With my iphone 3g becoming a paperweight on Thursday, I have been trying to find things to do with it. There was a thread recently about cycling apps for the android and iphone and how there weren't any accessories so it could do hrm and cadence.

Well after some searching I have found a device that lets your iphone put out an ANT+ signal so a Garmin HRM and cadence sensor can interface with it as well as a powertap.

https://store.digifit.me/Digifit-Conn...B0036QIFPW.htm

This $80 adapter plugs into the bottom iphone port and so you can pick up the ANT+ signal. Then you download the $30 app that will interface with everything.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id292015062?mt=8
Old 06-22-10, 08:26 PM
993guy
free-basing user

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this is the one I heard had strings attached? Seems like you have to pay a subscription fee for the app, or so I've been told.
Old 06-22-10, 08:33 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by 993guy
I think this is the one I heard had strings attached? Seems like you have to pay a subscription fee for the app, or so I've been told.
Yeah there is a yearly fee for the app at $29. I found two others and one that does not require a yearly fee for the app but the ant+ device that interfaces with the phone is really expensive. Also with the others it looks like you cannot buy just the ant+ adapter and are forced the buy the package with the cadence and hrm sensors.
Old 06-22-10, 08:42 PM
SkinnyLegs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't the battery life ridiculously low when the iPhone is used this way? I remember hearing something like 2.5-3 hrs max or so.
Old 06-22-10, 09:02 PM
Nbob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like you have to pay for the hardware plus pay for the power app then upgrade fees to get the others (HR , Cadence) plus a subscription fees. Add it all up and sounds like you're near half/third the way to the price of a 500 or 700 with half the functionality ( is there auto pause? lap? auto lap? etc.)
Also, does someone make a mount to attach iphone to the bars or do you carry it in your back pocket?
Plus, can you download it into something like Ascent?
Old 06-22-10, 09:09 PM
BostonBullit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are mounts to put the iPhone on your bars, not sure how sturdy they are but they make em. as someone said, it's battery life that will be the limiting factor here. have you ever run your iphone with the GPS on and the battery % indicator turned on in settings? it's like watching the gas gauge of a hemi cuda when you stomp on the go pedal :-x
Old 06-22-10, 09:10 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by Nbob
Looks like you have to pay for the hardware plus pay for the power app then upgrade fees to get the others (HR , Cadence) plus a subscription fees. Add it all up and sounds like you're near half/third the way to the price of a 500 or 700 with half the functionality ( is there auto pause? lap? auto lap? etc.)
Also, does someone make a mount to attach iphone to the bars or do you carry it in your back pocket?
Plus, can you download it into something like Ascent?
The $29 version of the app includes all the features and they have cheaper versions depending on what you want. If you already have a garmin hrm or cadence sensor laying around all you have to buy is the $30 app for one year of use and the ant+ adapter.
Old 06-22-10, 09:12 PM
gus6464

Originally Posted by BostonBullit
There are mounts to put the iPhone on your bars, not sure how sturdy they are but they make em. as someone said, it's battery life that will be the limiting factor here. have you ever run your iphone with the GPS on and the battery % indicator turned on in settings? it's like watching the gas gauge of a hemi cuda when you stomp on the go pedal :-x
I have used endomondo on a 2 hour ride and used up less than 30% of the battery on my 3g which is 2 years old. For a <5 hour ride if your phone is fully charged it should be good but for longer rides it would definitely be not the way to go.