Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Death Ride Spill

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Death Ride Spill

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-17, 10:53 PM
strotter13
Th* F*t Cyclist

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR, Kestrel Talon TT Bike, 1964 Schwinn Sierra, KHS Tandemania Comp, Nashbar Frame Ultegra Dura Ace Mix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Death Ride Spill

Here is the spill from the death ride. Full Vlog of the ride coming shortly.

Old 07-09-17, 12:16 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Luckily you were almost completely stopped before you went down.

And is there a reason why don't you wear gloves?

Anyhow, glad you're ok
Old 07-09-17, 12:22 AM
strotter13
Th* F*t Cyclist

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SLR, Kestrel Talon TT Bike, 1964 Schwinn Sierra, KHS Tandemania Comp, Nashbar Frame Ultegra Dura Ace Mix

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Luckily you were almost completely stopped before you went down.

And is there a reason why don't you wear gloves?

Anyhow, glad you're ok
Yeah I was only at 39mph when I started breaking and I think I pretty much had the bike stopped I just kind of rolled onto the hill.

I just never wore gloves. No reason. That is the first time I wrecked since I started riding in 2011, but gloves might be a nice piece of safety gear to have.
Old 07-09-17, 01:25 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
You'll figure out what gloves are for once you have to pick the gravel out of the palm of your hands
Old 07-09-17, 04:35 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
More front brake.
Old 07-09-17, 05:43 AM
Retoocs

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
and less rear brake. Why didn't you ease up on the rear brake once it locked up?
Old 07-09-17, 07:07 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Only once did I ride without gloves and that was a 70.3 triathlon. A bit of time saved during transition resulted in mangled hands when I went down in a roundabout at 25.2mph at mile 15 of the 56 mile bike.
Old 07-09-17, 07:19 AM
strotter13
Th* F*t Cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Retoocs
and less rear brake. Why didn't you ease up on the rear brake once it locked up?
You can't really tell in the video because you still here the sound of the front break squealing, but I let off the rear brake right after it locked up. Put in front break. Stayed sideways then last minute grabbed rear brake. The squealing that you hear in the video isn't the tires skidding. That's the sound of the brake pads on the carbon wheels.
Old 07-09-17, 07:35 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Good stop. You will wear leather gloves from now on after you have to get the gravel and asphalt out of your hand.... while you are drinking wine to kill the pain.
Old 07-09-17, 07:45 AM
strotter13
Th* F*t Cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Good stop. You will wear leather gloves from now on after you have to get the gravel and asphalt out of your hand.... while you are drinking wine to kill the pain.
Thanks . The hand is good! I had to rip that piece of skin off of it once I got down the hill. The wife scrubbed and dressed it for me last night.... I whined like a baby.
Headed out for a morning recovery ride, then I will get the full vlog done today.
Old 07-09-17, 07:51 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
It was a good controlled stop, you stayed with it. I had a hand that was twice as bad in the same area, right on the pad... looked like raw hamburger. Started on the wine after riding 5 miles to get home and then washed it out. Hurt like a mofo. I never go out without gloves again, even to the grocery store.
Old 07-09-17, 08:30 AM
StanPark

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once crashed a motorcycle almost exactly like that. When I realized that I had gone a little too fast too far into the corner, I just braked as hard as I could in a straight line and fell into the right ditch when the bike was nearly fully stopped. Its called target fixation. See the wall...hit the wall. Later, thinking back, I could have leaned left more agressively while trail braking rear brakes only and would likely have avoided the crash all together. In mitorcycling, if you try applying a little rear brake pressure during a lean, you will notice your radius starts to decrease quickly. I suppose it should work the same on road bikes, especially on dry warm pavement. I just started riding road bikes, so perhaps I am wrong.

Glad you are ok, could have been worse. And yes, gloves and helmet are a must for me now.
Old 07-09-17, 09:45 AM
strotter13
Th* F*t Cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StanPark
I once crashed a motorcycle almost exactly like that. When I realized that I had gone a little too fast too far into the corner, I just braked as hard as I could in a straight line and fell into the right ditch when the bike was nearly fully stopped. Its called target fixation. See the wall...hit the wall. Later, thinking back, I could have leaned left more agressively while trail braking rear brakes only and would likely have avoided the crash all together. In mitorcycling, if you try applying a little rear brake pressure during a lean, you will notice your radius starts to decrease quickly. I suppose it should work the same on road bikes, especially on dry warm pavement. I just started riding road bikes, so perhaps I am wrong.

Glad you are ok, could have been worse. And yes, gloves and helmet are a must for me now.
I wrecked a 2006 Yamaha r6 due to target fixation back in 2006. I read Keith code's book and watched his movie twist of the wrist. This looks like target fixation but it wasn't. I had 3 ways to go down and try to avoid going down. This seemed like it gave me the best odds.

Btw I highly recommend Keith codes book and movie for anyone that likes descending. It's meant for motorcycle riders but a lot applies to descending.

Side note I had the fastest descent on strava on both sides of Monitor for the day and 5th out of 5,500 people that have ever descended Monitor using strava.

I am a good descender but I shouldn't have been going that fast on that part of Ebbotts with that many people. I was following my buddy who is really familiar with that road and he knew to start braking but I wasn't paying attention and was telling the guy behind me to watch for the deberes.

Thank you everyone for watching the video.

Last edited by strotter13; 07-09-17 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-09-17, 11:21 AM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by strotter13
The squealing that you hear in the video isn't the tires skidding.
Haha yeah. It's the scariest sound in the world on a group ride or in a race.
Old 07-09-17, 11:29 AM
strotter13
Th* F*t Cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Haha yeah. It's the scariest sound in the world on a group ride or in a race.
Old 07-09-17, 02:12 PM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Debris.

Cannot believe no one has mentioned it until now.
Old 07-09-17, 02:25 PM
strotter13
Th* F*t Cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
Debris.

Cannot believe no one has mentioned it until now.
Yeah I was in a rush to get the video done last night after the death ride, before I went to bed, and I missed it. Too bad Adobe Premiere doesn't have spell check in their add text tool

Thanks for watching!
Old 07-09-17, 02:49 PM
IK_biker
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trailangel
It was a good controlled stop, you stayed with it.
Lol.
No, it was not, and he did not.
It was a uncontrolled spill due to operator error.
Old 07-09-17, 02:56 PM
strotter13
Th* F*t Cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IK_biker
Lol.
No, it was not, and he did not.
It was a uncontrolled spill due to operator error.
I lost control due to operator error... which was not realizing how slick the ground was and not realizing I was going to lock the back brake when I applied it yes. After the mistake was made I regained as much control as I could. And in my opinion it was a well controlled stop after my own error of locking the rear brake up.

Judging what I did wrong, and what I did right from just watching the video is fairly inappropriate because you can't see everything that was around me. You can't feel the tires sliding, you can't feel what the bike was doing. You can't even here the tires skidding. You hear the brake squeal the whole time, but the tires were not skidding the whole time, I was on and off both brakes several times at several different pressures throughout the crash. I don't think anybody could understand the wreck from just watching the video at that crappy angle. But I knew people would. There is a lot of people that already know everything and are very quick to judge. You get used to that when you put videos out, so no big deal. At least I am out there doing it part of the time, makes me happy!

Last edited by strotter13; 07-09-17 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-09-17, 03:50 PM
strotter13
Th* F*t Cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This will give you guys a little better idea of my opinion on the wreck. If you don't want to watch the whole vlog, just skip to the 10:30 mark and then the part when I am in the car.

Old 07-09-17, 07:44 PM
Roadrash3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for posting, I love the death ride and can't wait to do it again. Thanks for sharing all of it.
Old 07-09-17, 07:59 PM
strotter13
Th* F*t Cyclist

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadrash3
Thanks for posting, I love the death ride and can't wait to do it again. Thanks for sharing all of it.
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! I want to do it again next year too!
Old 07-09-17, 08:34 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
It _seems_ as though you had slowed and had a good opportunity to turn in and late apex the turn.

Target fixation _seems_ to fit the circumstances.

Personally,once over cooking a corner, I find I have to _force_ my head to turn and look through the corner and then commit to turning, whether I can make it or not. I'd almost always rather try to turn and low side than go straight into whatever is in front of me, but it does not come naturally to me.
Old 07-09-17, 08:54 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by strotter13
Side note I had the fastest descent on strava on both sides of Monitor for the day and 5th out of 5,500 people that have ever descended Monitor using strava.

I am a good descender but I shouldn't have been going that fast ...
Hmmm. (Insert comment here.)
Old 07-09-17, 09:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
FYI - it's not DEBREE, it's debris

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.