Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Why would you draft a stranger?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-17, 03:49 PM
mileslong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have never been in a bike race in my life. Today I was on my Sunday ride, just riding along between 16 and 17 mph when a fully kitted out racer wannabe on a $12k cannondale evo jumped on my rear wheel. When I asked him what he was doing, he didn't respond, when I told him to get the $%#@ off my wheel he made contact and dumped me on the shoulder. As I sat there with my separated shoulder, he tried to blame me for both of us going down.

My question is, why would any apparently accomplished rider jump on the wheel of a stranger who is just riding along? I can't figure out why anyone would do this....
Old 08-27-17, 03:59 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I won't follow within three bike lengths of any cyclist I don't know personally. That dude was just begging to wreck, and he got what he was looking for. Shame you had to be involved.
Old 08-27-17, 04:08 PM
Nooner
If you brake you dont win

Bikes: Santa Cruz Bronson, Trek Remedy 9.8, Cervelo S3, Kona Big Honzo, Cannondale R500, DiamondBack Apex, one storage unit my wife knows nothing about, and one ball crushing unicycle for kicks

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I had a similar experience on a bike path. I'm riding along on the right side going about 15mph when this turd jumps on the bike path comes up behind me and starts wheelsucking.
He is on some high end looking road bike (I didn't catch the brand), and I'm on by MTB.
I gave him a look, but didn't say anything. He had a stern look forward and seemed like he didn't see me... all while he was a few inches from my rear tire.
Lots of room to pass but content on sniffing my farts.
Without saying or signaling anything, I stopped turning the crank and slowly scrubbed off speed.
He finally got a clue and swung around to pass. I was sooooooooo tempted to rub up his rear tire as he passed. What a Richard.
Old 08-27-17, 04:15 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Here's why I never get a chance to wheelsuck anybody on the river trail, a typical day on the northern ten miles of the SART:

Old 08-27-17, 05:30 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
what forum is this
Old 08-27-17, 05:54 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
^ I think the OP is thinking it's one of you racer guys
Old 08-27-17, 05:55 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Moving to road cycling
Old 08-27-17, 06:06 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...I only do it for hot chicks with nice butts.
Old 08-27-17, 06:09 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by mileslong
I have never been in a bike race in my life. Today I was on my Sunday ride, just riding along between 16 and 17 mph when a fully kitted out racer wannabe on a $12k cannondale evo jumped on my rear wheel. When I asked him what he was doing, he didn't respond, when I told him to get the $%#@ off my wheel he made contact and dumped me on the shoulder. As I sat there with my separated shoulder, he tried to blame me for both of us going down.

My question is, why would any apparently accomplished rider jump on the wheel of a stranger who is just riding along? I can't figure out why anyone would do this....
...pro tip: if you don't want someone drafting you on the MUP to continue doing it, signal a stop and pull over for a break. I can honestly say that whenever I have done this, the person has stopped drafting me, and it only takes a few seconds to accomplish.
Old 08-27-17, 06:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by mileslong

I don't know the laws of your state, but if it is like Oregon where bikes are considered vehicles, well he just followed too close (commonly known as "tailgating") and it seems to me you should have grounds for a lawsuit. With a jury of drivers, the defendant might have a tough time arguing that 2' back was legal and safe.

Ben
Old 08-27-17, 06:10 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I do it because I hate waving.
Old 08-27-17, 06:29 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OP's fault for slowing down.
Old 08-27-17, 06:34 PM
mileslong

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The police that responded were unsure if this incident would qualify as a vehicle accident. They said they were going to consult with their supervisors before filing their report, which will contain all of the other rider's contact info. I have never seen the guy in my life but I made two phone calls and now know who he is so I can file whatever type of legal action is appropriate.

Back to my original question; what would motivate anyone to act so recklessly on a 40 mph road? What did he want to get out of that behavior? I am not vindictive, I would just like to understand his line of thinking.
Old 08-27-17, 06:36 PM
Roadrash3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sucks.... normally the person who is in the back rubbing the tire is the one who goes down. Speaking from experience with my kids and being a kid, LOL. I would never wheel suck a stranger, on a century ride I have done it but a regular ride, never
Old 08-27-17, 06:36 PM
EnsitMike

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix - 1998 CAAD3 R500 - 2012 Demo 8 Carbon

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve done it once.

A father and son were riding a couple bike lengths behind my buddy and I. I heard the son (who was about our age at the time) say “Dad, lets dust them”. I laughed and sure enough the dad flew by, pulling. The son got dropped slightly ahead of us. I knew there was a big climb coming up, so I sprinted and grabbed the dads wheel. Stuck to that wheel like a champ then the climb hit and I hammered past him. I stopped at the top for my buddy and the dad came cruising up and I told him “we dusted your son.” We both laughed and waited.

My buddy and I where cracking up the rest of the ride. Good times.
Old 08-27-17, 06:49 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Exclusive of the accident & to try to answer your question - Some folks like to ride by themselves and other folks like to ride with others. Obviously he should have acted differently though.

Around here, it's not uncommon for me to join up with someone I don't know or vice versa. We don't ask permission or anything, it just kind of happens. If someone doesn't want to have someone wheelsucking them, all they have to do is slow down or motion the other person around. No need for hostilities.
Old 08-27-17, 06:57 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
It is simply just bad manners.
If I want to ride with/wheel suck someone I would always pull alongside first to say hi and then see how it goes from there.
Old 08-27-17, 07:09 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Adding to what @RShantz said, I'll get on another rider's wheel on occasion and it has happened to me.

If the rider is riding in a controlled manner, not swerving, steady pace, gear looks well maintained then I might latch on but not closer than 1/2 bike length and never without alerting the other rider to my presence. "I'm on your wheel" is typical. It doesn't have to be reckless.

-Tim-
Old 08-27-17, 07:11 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Because drafting is an integral part of road bike riding? I ride regularly on a road near my home where many road cyclists train/ride. It's common to draft strangers there, it's part of the game. However, it's polite to announce yourself in some way and ask if they don't mind. 99% haven't any problem with that (not even triathletes).
Old 08-27-17, 07:36 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
I've got a bit of a problem following the OP's narrative. Sounds like the other rider pushed the OP to the curb not by drafting, overlapping wheels, but with a hip shoulder or elbow check.

Someone overlapping your rear wheel crashes them, not you 99% of the time.

Not excusing the other riders conduct, but don't freak out by someone touching your rear wheel, and there's no reason you should crash
Old 08-27-17, 07:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've jumped on a stranger's wheel. But first i observe how they are riding, then I approach and ask if they mind.

"Hey, do you mind if I sit on your wheel?"

If the answer is YES, I back off.

Last edited by GlennR; 08-27-17 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-27-17, 07:49 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I don't know the laws of your state, but if it is like Oregon where bikes are considered vehicles, well he just followed too close (commonly known as "tailgating") and it seems to me you should have grounds for a lawsuit.
I think the OP is in California. The CVC section on tailgating does not technically apply to cyclists since it refers to following closely behind another vehicle. While cyclists in Cal. have the same rights/responsibilities (with certain exceptions) as vehicle operators their bicycles are explicitly defined as human-powered devices and NOT vehicles. I believe this was deliberate so that the actions of cyclists in a paceline would not be a violation of the vehicle code.

However, that would not prevent the OP from filing a civil suit to recover damages for a crash caused by the act of another cyclist.

Frankly I think there's a bit of blame on both sides. The other cyclist for drafting without announcing his presence and/or requesting permission, and the OP for his rude tone in response instead of a polite request or simply signaling a stop and slowing down.
Old 08-27-17, 07:51 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Never done it myself. But did have it happen to me once or twice, but for very short time as where I normally ride there are lots of lights. Didn't like it. This was before I wore a mirror. Now if I see someone behind me I'll either speed up or slow down if it looks like he's looking for a free ride.
Old 08-27-17, 08:30 PM
howheels

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Here's why I never get a chance to wheelsuck anybody on the river trail, a typical day on the northern ten miles of the SART:

Cool bro, you almost doubled the speed limit on your MUP time trial
Old 08-27-17, 08:32 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
and the OP for his rude tone in response instead of a polite request or simply signaling a stop and slowing down.
Yeah. The entire 1st post (OP) confused me. Why not just slow down, or just keep riding. Who cares if the guy is on your wheel??
And how did the crash happen?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.