Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

40 Years Ago: April 1980 in Bicycling magazine

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 01:54 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 1,000 Posts

I've included the articles about the Gossamer Albatross English Channel Crossing (12Jun1979) and the rising star of US cycling, Greg LeMond.
I've also included the featured cover article written by Charlie Kelly (@Repack Rider).
A couple of articles from this issue were posted previously:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...n-ratchet.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ing-bikes.html

As usual, let me know if you'd like to see something else listed in the ToC and I'll do my best to send you a pdf.
Just send me a PM that includes your email address.
Happy Easter, everyone!

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 04-12-20, 02:56 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
La PreAlpina car top carriers - $62 for the 2 bike version! You could outfit your 1975 Buick sedan with one of these and be like the Cutters cruising around Bloomington in Breaking Away!

I had a pre-alpine on top of my dads 1978 (German made) orange Ford Fiesta S. I loved that car! One time I did drive the car into the garage with the bike on the rack, breaking the rack in half accidentally. Fortunately, I did not ruin the bike! Thank God for steel frames we had BITD.

Last edited by masi61; 04-12-20 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 03:07 PM
SClaraPokeman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
To my knowledge, no one has replicated Bryan Allen's remarkable ride across the channel. I heard him on NPR about a decade ago--he was working at the JPL in Pasadena as an engineer.

I have a few old bike mags on hand also. It all seems so quaint today. A layman rider could actually grasp most of what was going on in bike technology and standards, but now, today, it's gotten so complicated (in my view) and almost impossible to keep up on. The changes have just been enormous--but overwhelmingly for the better--I feel fortunate be have been able to be a cyclist during this period.