Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Odd Raleigh serial number

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-24, 01:44 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

Wednesday I took home an old Raleigh to clean up. After looking at the crumbling paint I decided to do a quick repaint on it. One thing led to another and a few hours later I had stripped all the paint off it. I wrote down the serial number on the bottom bracket and came in to look it up. It doesn't seem to conform to the raleigh numbering convention.

The number clearly stamped on the bottom of the bottom bracket shell is 180349 with the 8 having a flat top. There were some decals on the bike , one stating it was made with Hi tensile tubing but not specifying which. There was a Raleigh decal on the top tube. The head badge was missing.

The bike had fancy lugs on the head tube and the fork has a chrome cap and may be a replacement as the original color was brown metalic . The bike as found was painted beige with no apparent original paint of a different color underneath. The crank is cottered with no markings and a length of 165mm.the chain stays don't appear to have been chromed and the fork probably had short(3") chrome spats.

It probably doesn't matter what the bike was origionally as it was definately a frankenbike when I got it. I'm just curious if anyone can shed any light on the serial number.

On close inspection of the steer tube lugs it looks like the bottom lug is tweeked where the bottom tube enters it. Nothing else about the bike is damaged and the frame tubes are straight / no kinks at the steer tube. Could this just have been shoddy work at the factory?
Old 03-08-24, 03:26 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Do you have pictures of the frame and the serial number? Raleigh has a long history. About which decade do you think the frame was manufactured.

Last edited by Hummer; 03-08-24 at 04:26 PM. Reason: sentence structure.
Likes For Hummer:
Old 03-08-24, 04:08 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3815 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
Do you have pictures of the frame and the serial number? Raleigh has a long history. About which decade do think the frame was manufactured.
-----

+1.

capn -

you will receive more and better help/information with some images for readers to see...

-----